• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Street Roll Bar for TR3

BritCars54

Looking for recommendations on a street roll bar for my 60 TR3A. There was an old 2004 post with pics of a roll bar from Kirk Racing. TSI also has one. Any input appreciated.

PeterK

Yoda
Might have been my post. I purchased my Kirk Racing bar from TSI.

It is bolted through the floorpan with 1/8" steel plate on the backside for strength. You can grab the bar and shake the car. Nice and strong. Also the rear support legs of the Kirk bar bolt into the inner fenders (again with 1/8" plate shaped to fit.) This provides a stronger mount than a flat bottomed bar.

You'll need a cover for the loop behind your head. I use a purpose built roll bar foam cut to fit. This foam has an offcenter hole to place most foam on the side that faces your brains.

I also added a LED 3rd brake light with brake light modulator for visibility.

dscn0809.jpg

Aeroweld3033

with any given dimensions id be happy to make something for anyone intersted , hoping to advertsie on this site however the advt. pages have been down for some time but i am a welder and fabricator as well as a huge british enthusiast and would love to help the community out!

OP
B

BritCars54

Thanks for the offer, but after some major procrastination, I actually
just ordered the roll bar today from TS Import Automotive. Saw your
other post about advertising. I am new to BCF, so no suggestions in
that regard.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Make sure to mount it correctly, otherwise you are going to end up crushing parts of your body that you really don't want crushed if it is ever truly needed.

OP
B

BritCars54

Thanks.
That would be the plan, and also will install the roll bar padding (asymetric type with more cushion toward my head)as mentioned previously in this thread.

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
The cushion is a good idea. I had my roll bar in when I was rear ended and cracked my head against it when the truck hit me. During the rebuild I removed the roll bar. From what I know unless the roll bar is mounted right to the frame it should be considered for looks only. The sheet metal will buckle if you roll the TR.

OP
B

BritCars54

Hopefully the car will do a quick roll, with only transient weight bearing while inverted. Seriously..your point is well taken. I am getting a "street bar" so a top can clear. The "race bar" is just a bit taller, but mounted in the way that is outlined in the previous post. I believe the steel plates may diffuse out some of the stress in a rollover siituation. Hope to never find out...

PeterK

Yoda
There are differences in the way that the TR3 bars vs. TR4-6 bars mount. The rear legs are not only bolted through the inner fender near several supporting structures in the tub (vs. having all four legs on the rear shelf), but the rear legs also angled to the outside which IMO would provide greater strength.

One thing the street bar does need is a diagonal brace between the outer legs of the hoop. I plan on adding one to mine.

But as I said, mine is very sturdy and I could easily lift the body off the car without any trouble (if it was unbolted first, duh.)

To install the bar, I had to shape the mounting plates and backup plates to fit the curve of the inner fender. While it was a little bit of a pain, I am happy with the result. I also use one the inner rear mounting bolts for a harness mount.