• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Auto-X/ Vintage race/ spirited street ride height?

Jayrz

Jedi Trainee
I am planning on doing a little bit of everything with my 63 Midget. car has 1/4 elliptic rear springs.

What is the PROPER way to lower the car to a competition level ride height?

Thanks all

Jay

mccalebr

Jedi Knight
I'm building a '62 Sprite presently that will have performance as a primary goal. I do not think the stock ride height is any too high. I'm using 400lb front springs and new rear springs (top four leaves removed), a 3/4 front sway bar, and a panhard bar; all of these are competition parts from The Winner's Circle. I just got back a set of shocks from Peter at World Wide. I'll be happy to have everything settle down to about the same level as before I started.

Ray

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hay Ray, you ought to see your trailer now. Would post a pic but the camra fogs over every time I take it outside.

Anyway, all old paint remeoved and new black on everything, new chains, new wireing, license plate moved to fender, fenders rewelded so they are tough, new boards, new bolts.

That's the list do far. Also picked up a spare tire and wheel from a kinda local junk yard for $40.

More to follow and a pic or two when I can.

mccalebr

Jedi Knight
Ah, Jack...sounds good...I bet that camera lens is fogging because of your hot breath! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Branson, yes, I believe that is correct, 1/4 elliptic on a '63. Actually, we get caught in that age old debate over the year of a car, manufacture year or registration year unless we have a commission number for reference. That said, quarter elliptics were standard fare for MkII Sprites (Han6/7) and MkI Midgets (Gan1/2), years 1961, 62,63, and 64(early).

OK guys, I've turned over the (year/model) rock...let the games begin!

Ray

Branson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
heh....i assumed the square bodied cars were all semi elliptic... learned something new

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

OP
Jayrz

Jayrz

Jedi Trainee
So yeah,
about my cars "year",,, I was a little baffled myself when I got it home thinking it should have disc brakes up front. Would not have kept me from buying it though. So I've looked at the title thinking perhaps he gave me the wrong title and nope, it is the correct title as all the numbers match but i am assuming it was first registered in 63 so the DMV back then listed it as such. The serial number starts with GAN 1 which, correct me if i am wrong, makes the car a Midget mark 1, and car should either ACTUALLY be either a 61 or a 62. Now the motor is the original and it is a 1098 high compression per the tag on the block. Perhaps one of you could tell me whether mark 1 midgets had 948 motors their first year in 61? So until I get the heritage certificate I am going to assume the car is really a 1962 Mark 1 Midget that was titled as a 63.

So I have acquired a set of disc brake car front control arms/spindles and calipers that Paul at Sports Car Craftsman was good enough to include in the purchase. My question is whether something needs to be done with the master cylinder for the system to operate correctly?

As far as progress,, I have now got the shock absorbers to work pretty darn well and they are not leaking so I'll keep my fingers crossed. After finishing the shocks yesterday I pried out the gawd aful pieces of diamond plate sheet that the PO had put down on the floors and,,,, was pleasantly suprised to find an ACCEPTABLE amount of rust that will need to be repaired. Knew it was bound to have some and feel lucky it wasn't worse. Mike "Mrsprite" came over and gave me a hand with that and we had dinner. Afterwards I srayed gel engine drgreaser all over the entire interior and scrubbed it down with a scothbrite pad to get as much loose rust, flaking paint, and whatever else up and loose and then used a pressure washer. Man what a messy job. Cleaned it all out again with hot soapy water and then let the car sit overnight with two box fans blowing through it to get it completely dry. Just doing that was a huge improvement over the nasty gunky mess the insude had been.
The today I painted the whole interior with a battlship grey rustoleum. I brushed it on right out of the can which may sound just horrid but beleive me the interior looks a million times better now.

Oh yeah,,, I have everything for the seats except those stamped sheetmetal bases which rust out terribly. So before I can assemble my seats with their new upholstery I need some seat bases.

Anybody have some useable seat bases? PLEASE!!!!

Jay

Bugeye58

Yoda
Jay, this is a bit confusing. The GAN1 MkI Midgets all had the 948 with a smooth case transmission in them, with drum brakes up front.
What is the VIN exactly? I can pin it down easier with the number.
The 10CG engine wasn't introduced until the GAN2 cars, in September of '62. These all had disc brakes and a rib case trans. (GAN2-16184)
It's entirely possible that the car was titled as the model year that it was actully sold. For instance, I have a '64 that was titled as a '67!
Jeff

OP
Jayrz

Jayrz

Jedi Trainee
Jeff,

The serial # is GAN 1 L / 12937 on the chassis

and 10CC - DA H 992 on the motor

is the motor perhaps not the one that originally came in the car?

drum brakes in front and 1/4 elliptical springs in the back.

Jay

Bugeye58

Yoda
Jay, based on the informationn in Terry Horlers' book, the most probable buld date for the car is late March, early April of '62, and February '64 for the engine.
The engine is definitely not the original, but is the best of the 1098's, as it has the 2" main bearing journals, rather than the 1 7/8" of the 10CG 1098's.
Jeff

Getting back to lowering your car, a Spridget is the easiest car in the world to lower, in the fornt you just get longer bolt and stand off spacers ( stand off spacers are piece of thick wall tubing, you can get hem places like McMaster Carr) and space the spring mount in the lower control arm down, on the rear you need aluminum spacer bolcks and longer U bolts, find a truck leaf spring place, they are alway making custom length u bolts for the 4WD crowd and can amek you custom lengtyh one normally while you wait. There amy be a little trial and error, a 1" sopacing doesn't always equal 1' of lower so sometime you just have to install everything measure at the rocker rail, then adjust until you get what you want. If this car is going to see street action, then I would tend to follow Ray's advice, CB Midget ride height is low enough, anyhting lower and it's going to be a pain to drive on the street, and you exhaust is going to get brutalized over street humps , and speed bumps.

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
It seems that a large percentage of our lbcs are titled later than whn they were actually built. Thinking about it, the car coming across the pond, maybe a late in the build year, it only makes sense. These cars have had motor swaps in them from the very beginning of production and we all are still doing it today, so that also makes sense. Anyway, it seems that you have a great car to start playing with, friends to help in some of the restoration and all of us here at the forum to share it all with. The disc brake swap(while rebushing the front suspension) is a great place to start on your car. Start looking fr a 5 speed.

OP
Jayrz

Jayrz

Jedi Trainee
Thanks Jeff,

I am wondering if it would be possible to provide the DMV with some documentation, say the Heritage certificate, and have the car re-titled to reflect the correct year. Perhaps more hassle than it's worth.

KCbugeye, yup I already have the Datsun 210 transmission in the car and it really is a great modification. Now if I can just find seat bases i'll build my new seats and actually be able to drive it without sitting on a towel on the floor! Would be nice to leave the neighborhood.

mccalebr

Jedi Knight
Check with the local DMV office first...might save yourself some trouble. In my state (GA) they do not issue titles prior to a certain year...I'm thinking 1966. They will however use a pursuasive document, such as the BMH certificate, to register the car for a year other than what may appear on a Bill of Sale, another state's title, or the like.

Ray