• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Auto crossing MG Midget

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
I was thinking of useing my $500.00 Midget for SCCA auto-cross racing as a hobby. maybe 3-6 times a year. I have done quite a bit of cone dodging through out my life so I thought this would be a good car have fun and compete in.

Problem may be the wire wheels the Midget sports. The type of racing they do is mostly parking lot stuff. Is this going to be a problem. I am not doing this to be the fastest car there just havin fun.

Dee

Country flag
Get the widest stickest tires you can fit on those wires & then put in a welded 4.55 and you should do OK.
Ran my XKE for many years on wires, no problem!

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Yeah, ditto to above. Just make sure they are in semi-decent shape (they don't have to be pretty....just solid).

Check for any loose wires on each wheel....then bang on all the spokes with a small wrench to see if they all have the same "tone" (in other words, all about equally tight)

Then have at it!

By the way, converting to regular steel wheels is not that simple (or cheap), especially on a $500 car. If you have one or two sacked wire wheels, it'd probably be simpler and cheaper to hunt around for decent, used replacement wires rather that convert.

At least half the guys I race with (wheel-to-wheel) are running wires on thier vintage race cars. They work fine if you keep an eye on them.

A welded rear is generally good, but I ran Auto-x for years with an open 4.22 and had a great time (see below~approx 1971).

nial-sprite-bucks-cc.jpg

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hey, Nial -

I see you were using "SPF-105" before it was cool! :jester:

Mickey

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Mickey:

We actually called that car "<span style="font-style: italic">Spiffy 105</span>"

My present race car (the green thing below), is wearing both front fenders, one rear fender, the brakes and lots of other bits from my orignal Spiffy 105. :laugh:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Too neat! I'm sure it has all the more meaning to you! Legacy, and all that.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Funny! Love it, BTW. :thumbsup:

We Auto-X'd wire wheel MGB's & B-GT's for years. Even very competitive in class. As long as they're "strung" right, no problem.

OP
M

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
Thanks for the information. Just need to find a small trailer now to haul around in case it breaks at the track

jollyroger

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Make sure and run lower air pressure in the rears. Induces over steer and helps getting around the tight corners I have raced a welded diff for years. At low speeds they will push under throttle. I have run as little as 15 psi in the rears and 24/25 in the fronts. Your results may vary. If you suddenly find yourself looking back from were you came put a bit more air back in the rear one pound at a time till that stops happening.

OP
M

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
Dee said:
Get the widest stickest tires you can fit on those wires & then put in a welded 4.55 and you should do OK.
Ran my XKE for many years on wires, no problem!

Any suggestions on tyres and sizes.Low profile in front?, tall profile rear?

Country flag
You could always run these...

pop_up.php

And they're ONLY L1550 EACH....!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Silverghost said:
You could always run these...

pop_up.php

And they're ONLY L1550 EACH....!

which values a set about the value of the car - maybe the car is worth a little less.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
For stock class, if you want to buy new, I guess the Sumitomo HTR 200 is your best bet. They used to make these in 175/50-13s but I think the smallest size now is 185 width. Not my favourite tire (I have them on my MGB and used to have them on my street Spridget), but they are decent and predictable (but a bit too hard).

A better idea would be to buy used DOT/race tires if you can get away with them (since they're technically "DOT", some groups may let you run them as street tires....it will depend locally). You can find used race tires by looking in the back of Grassroots Motorsports magazine or hunt around E-bay. You probably want the DOT/race tires intended for the front of SPecRacer Fords. 185/60-13. Probably Toyo 888s or Goodyears. They are tight and it might require a little rear fender massage....but it can be done.

You in good section of the country to autocross, check out the SCCA and the South Carolina region, they have a good solo program.

OP
M

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
SCCA has a meeting I am going to attend real soon in Myrtle Beach, Find out if I would have mire cars in my class to make it worth while to join. I will check on the tyres at the same time

jollyroger

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Just some advice. Learn to drive on the skinniest hardest tires you can find. Once you master that THEN get some sticky racy tires. Otherwise you will develop real bad habits in regard to car control.

OP
M

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
I already have quite abit of experience in this area. It is in V-8 fox body mustangs, But I will probably stick with street tyres anyway until I find the weak parts on my car