Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
I'm looking at upgrading the front roll bar to something very stiff for spirited driving. I was thinking of the Speedwell, but wanted to get input from other spirited drivers. What are you using?
Alan,
how does your Bugeye handle with the Speedwell ARB? I've got a stock bar and I'm thinking about going a little larger when I put my car together.
Thanks, Rut
Rut, I'm still doing the shake down on the car, I only have about 60 miles on it currently. Actually, the only part that is Speedwell is the mounts and bolts, I took measurements from Gundys car and fab everything else myself similar to his Speedwell. I'm not sure what wall thickness Tom uses for his tubed 4130 7/8" OD bar. Mine is 7/8" OD with .125" wall tubing, his may be the same, Gundy wouldn't take kindly if I cut his bar to find out so I did the math.. So far I can't complain, the rear end fills very glued to the surface. I'm also using a 1/2" 4130 tubed rear bar with a .050 wall thickness.
I'm running factory 3/4 inch bars on a square body and on a BE. Noticeable increase in understeer on the square body but haven't noticed a real problem with the BE. In the future I won't go over 11/16 which are available from Moss UK.
Rut, I'm also running home made frame mounts on re-enforced chassis rails. My mounts are solid moly filled polycarbonate so any flex for body roll is in the bar.
I cut a hole in a 3/16 strap for the stock mounting point to fit through and welded to that plate and the rail for a total of about 10 inch's. Pretty thin stuff and not much fun overhead welding. If a person had the car on a rotisserie that would be the ideal time to do the job. Lots of ways to do it and On my BE I waited till after the right mount failed and then bodged the job with a couple of straps on each side.
Paul A. told me years ago.... the stock 9/16" anti-sway bar is the correct size. What we want to do is to balance the car's tendency to over steer. Putting too large a bar on the front will over compensate and give the car under steer. The only reason to go with a larger bar in the front is because there has been an anti-sway bar installed on the rear. ... YMMV.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.