• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

RM Auctions 19 Feb Bugeye sells for $23.1 K

JerryB

Jedi Warrior
Remember the poster who was scrounging for parts on behalf of the "Team Sprite" girls who were doing a ground up on a Bugeye last couppla months?

Well it ended up at RM in Phoenix last Monday selling for $23,100.

Keith Martin says...."an excellent buy at $23K....so does that mean it could have gone higher? Why not.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Why not indeed. Yep 23K worth of collage money for the girls. Good deal and they learned a lot.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif I thought so too.

bugimike

Yoda
Or maybe more!!!! eh b. (you old scrounge, you!)? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
So lets think about this, does it mean that a Bugeye, not concorse but real real nice, and fresh, should now be priced in the low 20s?

If that is so, a show car should be 30K and a driver mid teens.

Restorable 8K maybe if complete without great rust.

Naaa, that can't be right for a Bugeye.

30K=show car
23K=sunday driver
15K=daily driver
8K=restorable
4K=roller complete

In my mind we may see this some day but not soon, I think the auction price was an aberation, we will se.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
My latest Collector Car Market Review magazine (which has an extensive price guide) lists a #1 Bugeye at $19k, down to a #4 at about $5k. Most of our cars would fit into the #4+ to #3 level, nice drivers but with a few issues. The #1 car is an almost perfect car, and extremely rare.

That seems to be a reasonable spread as far as the asking prices I have seen in the last 2 years. Most really nice cars seem to be in the $10k - $15k range. These are probably #3 - #2 level cars. Very few cars are a true #1.

I'm not in this for the financial possibilities at all, but it's at least nice to know that our little cars aren't losing value. I figure Tunebug is worth what I paid, plus maybe 10% of what I've spent since. For a hobby, that's not bad. I'm not about to sell it anyways. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

MikeH

Jedi Hopeful
Hi, Google Team Sprite, its an interesting story about the restoration of this car. Worth seeing.

Bruce_B

Jedi Warrior
Looks like the Bugeye folks might need their own Category!!! Seriouisly is it nice to know that maybe there's a chance that if we ever sell ours cars we'll get at least 50% of what we've put into it.

I know I'm not selling mine. It's cheaper to fund than a psychiatrist!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Miss Agatha is pleased she has gone from nothing to an intresting number.

Neighbor wanted to know what I would take for her, said 26K and he never bated an eye. Think I best revise that upward to 30K just so it does not happen.

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag
I thought those girls, and the guys that "helped" did an excellent job. One could say that it wasn't concourse, but I'll bet there are very few cars out there that are as 100% original as my impression of Team Sprite's car.

As for the price, well - it was an auction, and also for a good cause.

As for bugeye people or sprite people being separated from the Midget riff raff! Yeah what can I say, maybe it's true, but I doubt it. I've owned Midgets, Minis, triumphs, Jaguars, VWs, Mercedes yada d. da d. da... but I enjoy all of them. And - boo hoo - I don't drive the Sprite cuz its in the back of the garage.

OP
J

JerryB

Jedi Warrior
ahhh Phoenix in February.....

"""""""I saw that, looked like a fifty thousand dollar car easy.""""""

You just have to hire the right bartender and shill to get the big numbers.

bugimike

Yoda
Who would all the rest of the "classic" car types have to look down on if the Bugeye developed some kind of status??
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif

Seriously though, brians' story, through the "Team Sprite" endeavor is a great one and I am certain there was some "value added" to the car due to the great chronicaling of the whole experience from start to finish (even the auctioneer was most helpful and sympathetic in pushing up the price!). Just the general interest generated had to add value, hence the generous donations and assistance offered from so many sources!!

Jack, find some lovely young girls that need to....No, never mind, keep doing what you are doing, you too are adding a certain intrinsic value to Miss A the way you are doing it!!!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Just keep them Bugeyes smilin' guys, and they will keep you smilin' too!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

Steve_Lawrence

That's the same amount that my parents paid for their 4-bedroom home in the San Fernando Valley (Los Angeles area) at about the time that the car was built.

Team_Sprite

Jedi Trainee
I’ve been reading your posts and thinking about the bugeye prices, and I’ll tell you my perspective after standing next to our car for two days at the RM auction. The general response we overheard was that most people had no idea a car so cute, and so, apparently, well done could be bought so cheap. Remember they were holding a catalogue showing an estimate of $28-$34K. Because of that sale, and the publicity the car is still receiving (the cover and 6 color pages in the March/April Healey magazine, and at least two other magazine articles coming) I’ll predict that you will see a few more ‘restored’ cars come out of the woodwork over the next year, selling at the ‘better’ auctions, and I think they will bring in the neighborhood of $30K+. The fact is, there really isn’t anything that offers that visual appeal and ‘fun factor’ in that price range. It’s a very affordable and driveable car to these people, but I also think the key in getting those prices, will be originality. It is something one of these new buyers can feel at least some security with; they understand that, in their world, restoration is synonymous with big costs. If our car had been 100% (riveted rims, unpadded dash, red interior, etc. etc.) and we could have presented it as such, I really think it would have fallen within the estimate. There was no conversation between RM and ‘Team Sprite’ regarding estimates, and the car was given them with no reserve, the first time I was aware of their estimate was when I saw it in the catalogue, and I was quite suprised, but I figured he knew his business, and the car would do as well there as it would anywhere. I also think that, no matter what happens at the auctions, the everyday driver will not be really affected too much. My take on prices, like most perspective buyers, came from eBay, in reality not a place to buy a car unless you know them well enough to know that whatever surprises may come up, you can handle them. My guess is that the perfect driver, disks, ribcase, 1275, etc., will not generate the confidence in this new buyer I’m imagining. And that’s leaves the driver buyable for the rest of us, so this scenario shouldn’t get me lynched as a member of the running dog oligarchy.

One other thing, we had 10K in parts (some bought at heavy discounts), 2000 hours of labor, free chrome, tires, body classes from a world class metal man, donated paint, top, and all the parts you great souls showered the girls with, in reality, for someone who wants to confine his ownership to tinkering and driving, it really was a wise purchase.

I really don’t mean to sound like the authority on bugeye prices, but I came away from that auction with even more appreciation for what a wonderful little package these guys are. Thought it might be a useful perspective.
Brian sans girls

bugimike

Yoda
Thanks for that input, brian, you are the man in the know on that score and your observations should carry some weight! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif (working on a new group yet? Keep us posted!)

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Food for thought Brian. Bet you miss your girls.