• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Recommendations on Transporting a car.......

Stinky

Jedi Trainee
Recommendations on Transporting a car.......

As I've said in previous posts I'm in the process of buying a TR6. The car is in Texas, and I'm in Maryland. I'm hoping to fly one way, and drive the car home.
The more I look into it I may be better off having it shipped in an enclosed truck.
I'd have to spend a day Flying to Texas, then a 1500 mile drive. Looking at Air fare, gas, hotels along the way. Not to mention the time spent,...which is expensive for a self employed person like myself. It would be far less expensive to have the car shipped,...however the roadtrip expierence would probably be worth the price.

What would you do?

Incase I decide to ship the car, do you know a transport company you recommend?

thanks again!

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
Re: Recommendations on Transporting a car.......

You'd have to be nuts to fly half way across the country, buy an LBC that you've never known before and hop in it intending to drive all the way home. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif But, that's what I'd do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

"...no risk, no fun!" – Michael Schumacher

PC.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan

Just have an alternate plan to fly back. I looked at a Mini that I was told was absoluteley stock perfect and a real drivable car.

Ain't no way I would have driven it 100 yards. Missing tons of stuff and the suspension was terrible not to mention abolsutely unsafe.

BUT I bought it and now it is a super good car after a bit of work. It was shipped to me not driven.

OP
Stinky

Stinky

Jedi Trainee

I should have mentioned that the car has been looked at by a Triumph Club member, and is also going to a mechanic to be "Gone Over" before I get the car. I'm gonna have the mechanic to go over the car and fix anything he can find that needs fix'in. So the car "Should" be road worthy.

I guess the thing that worries me is having a breakdown and the 3 day drive turns into a week away from home/Business. Missing a few days of work would be tollerable,...a week would get downright expensive.

philman

Jedi Knight

I'd drive. No better way to learn your new car than to drive it. I purchased a range rover last summer from san diego (800 mile one way), flew down, drove it home with a blown head gasket (stopped a lot for water) and decided I liked it too much to part out (my original plan). I also drove my tr7 to Oklahoma City twice in 2003 (2000 miles eacy way), slept in the car on the way. You'll be able to buy any tools you need on the way home.

OP
Stinky

Stinky

Jedi Trainee

Thanks for the input.

Sounds like I'm the only one worried about the RoadTrip.

I'll post and let you guys know what's going on, and when I take off. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

When you make the drive, be sure and check with folks from the Forum along the way. Always nice to put a face with a post (as well as the chance to check out the ride!).

Mickey

Bugeye58

Yoda

In the immortal words of one of the USAF Generals I used to work with,

"No guts, no Air Medal!"

Abslutely, drive it home. Of course, take your friends' observations and recommendations in mind before attempting the trip!
If he is a Triumph mechanic, and tells you to ship it, by all means do so.
If he says it's good enough to drive for the trip, give him the chance to go with you! Even if you have to fly him home, it may be worth the piece of mind for you!
Best of luck, no matter what your decision is.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag

[ QUOTE ]
...Sounds like I'm the only one worried about the RoadTrip....

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. Cause we're just sitting here telling you to go, you're the one who has to deal with it.

The trip could easily be one of the most memorable TR experiences you have and it does sound like you've taken the reasonable precautions to make it successful.

If time permits and you decide to drive you might throw together one suitcase of basic tools and parts so if a minor problem comes up you are not without some options. Even on a car that's been 'gone thru' ignition parts and fuel pump can fail w/o warning. These are probably spares you will want to carry anyway so getting them in advance won't necessarily mean any extra expense.

G

Stinky,
Not wanting to put a bucket of cold water on your dream car, but why buy a car so far from home? There should be tons of TR6's on the East Coast that are a lot easier to look at. If that is the picture you posted, the one with the multiple louvers in the hood, I think I would be a little cautious. Anytime someone does THAT to a classic British car, beware! (I do have a single row of 13 louvers over the intake side of my bonnet) You will automatically add $1000 to $1500 for a pro tow job to the cost of your car right off the bat. Driving it home. Not a chance. Unless you are planning to write a book about the trip. Good luck.

Bill

OP
Stinky

Stinky

Jedi Trainee

I've been looking at local cars for a long time. Never found anything worth having that worked out. I had a few club members tell me to look in the Deep South, or West Coast for a car(Dry Climates). I was also told not to buy a car from a northern climate under any circumstances. That's why I'm going to Texas for this one.

BTW: It's amazing how many of these people selling these cars mis-represent the cars in the ads.

The Hood or "Bonnet" was already punched when the current owner bought the car in 1996. Getting another hood would be easy enough,...but he liked the louvers,...so he left the hood or "Bonnet" on the car. So far I like the look of the louvers.

Funny thing about that hood was the owner got constant grief from his local club members,...but when he decided to have the car painted those same guys were clamouring to try to buy that louvered hood that they had been making fun of for years.

I'm planning to drive the car home,...but I liked the suggestion to carry a few tools, and ignition parts, and a spare fuel pump.

Stink

Kurtis

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

[ QUOTE ]
You'd have to be nuts to fly half way across the country, buy an LBC that you've never known before and hop in it intending to drive all the way home. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif But, that's what I'd do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

"...no risk, no fun!" – Michael Schumacher

PC.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And that's just what I did - 1,200 miles.

It was great fun; however, I realized very quickly after getting home and spending some quality time with the car in my garage just how lucky I was to make it home without incident.

Would I do it again? Absolutely... uh, if my wife will let me that is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kurtis