• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Car Cover Recommendations

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
While Baby Blue is always garaged, I also do a lot of work in the garage on other projects that either cause dust to fly or fluid / lubricant / cleaner overspray that sometimes ends up hitting the Sprite. Most notably, a lot of the parts off the '53 Plymouth have surface rust that needs to be cleared off, usually via wire brush on a drill, which causes a LOT of dust. I'm just looking for something to protect the car while in the garage. I'm definitely not planning on leaving the car outside...ever. Anyone have a good car cover out their they recommend?

BlueMax

Jedi Warrior
If you want a perfect fitted carcover for a garage kept British cars I use the Softech car covers in UK, not cheap but fit beautifully. But if your doing a lot of dusty work I wold cover the car in a thin film plastic sheet held in place with magnets.

P1040345.jpg

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I just went to Walmart - nationally known brand (can't remember which) under $50 Bob's your uncle

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Here's what I ended up doing: I'm widening the driveway from one car to two cars, and then extending the driveway along the house up to my backyard fence. I'm bringing the '53 Plymouth down from Emmitsburg, but it's going to end up in the slot alongside the house until I can construct a semi-permanent cover for it. The Sprite will remain in its cozy garage during the winter. Anyone have a good line on temporary structures? :encouragement:

dklawson

Yoda
Anyone have a good line on temporary structures? :encouragement:

How about the Harbor Freight temporary garage? It's typically around $200. I've often considered buying one to use as a paint booth.

https://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x-17-ft-portable-garage-62860.html

They also have the smaller 10 x 10 shed for about $160
https://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x-10-ft-Portable-Shed-63297.html

They go on sale frequently. If you can't wait for a sale, search for one of the "20% off any one item" coupons.

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I've got three outdoor "Car Capsules" being used for vehicle storage. The 'bubble' protects against impact (hail or rakes) and the fans (with filters) prevent moisture/condensation and associated corrosion. Only real problem is that snow collapses them so you have to have room to brush them off (depending, of course, where you live). Doug

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks guys! Looks like the driveway is going in on Friday. Keeping my fingers crossed!

I also picked up a cover for the Sprite to protect it while it's in the garage.

hcallaway

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The clear plastic covers work great on a clean dry car. Perfect dust covers.
qASMyYp.jpg

On cars that I am going to cover for an extended period. I use an indoor cover, cloth or nylon with a clear cover over it.
1964 MBG top left.
R5oNkvV.jpg

Best indoor cover I have ever owned. 100% fitted flannel Cover
i9Z1TX3.jpg

I am very careful to cover only clean dust free cars. I always let a hot car cool before covering.
I use old fitted bed sheets, towels and soft bedspreads to cover my projects after they are painted to keep any over-spray etc.. that might land on it.

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Well, the big dig starts tomorrow. Should be done in less than a day. I never thought I'd find driveway widening this exciting.

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
And, we're done with the driveway widening/extension. Just in time before the first snow of the season in Maryland. BB is in the garage, and with the first snow, she is going into hibernation / overhaul mode. Here in Maryland, they dump so much salt on the streets that the Sprite would disintegrate before I got to the end of the block.
With the engine rebuild postponed until I get the Plymouth up on its feet, I only have a handful of tasks other than the regular winter maintenance to worry about this year.

24991029_10214275476817999_2428194232664227353_n by David Cohen, on Flickr

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Looks good! we have about the same snow.

BTW Happy slightly belated birthday!

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Looks good! we have about the same snow.

BTW Happy slightly belated birthday!

Thanks! I apologize for the slightly belated response. I have both covers in now, and the Plymouth was dropped off today. I'm sure my neighbors will appreciate it being kept under cover!

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Both covers are working well. We had our first precipitation since I put the Plymouth under cover, and when I removed it, the car was undisturbed underneath. The Sprite, which usually accumulates a layer of dust from sitting was also clean when I pulled up the cover to fire it up just to keep the fluids moving around.