• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rear Cockpit Surround Molding 1973

tao724

Jedi Trainee
Hey all. I have the black rubber rear cockpit surround molding ready to place. Keeping in mind I bought this 73 Midget in boxes, and not owning one prior, I mostly go by catalogs and web searches and BCF for my rebuild guidence. I would like to attach this properly with al the correct studs and screws and such.
When I look through VB, and Moss Motors (North America), and Moss UK catalogs, it seems Moss UK has the most organized drawings. However, I'll reference Sprite-Midget Moss Motors page 72 for my questions.
1. The chrome end pieces for the rubber cockpit rear surround moulding are attached by screw/washer/domed nut. (not in Moss NA, but in Moss UK catalog, and VB), this is clear, no prob there.
2. Velcro strips. Does the front of the velco strip go in the chrome finisher?, held in place by the chrome finisher screw? Or is it behind the finisher with its own screw hole?
3.Where on the top of the B-post is the 5/8" Tenax long stud, it is sold with a domed nut chrome, so I know it is exposed. and which direction does it face. Its use? Tonneau? Top cover? Hood? All of the above?
4. The three Tenax 3/8" studs (227-700) on each side of the cockpit rear edge (6 total both sides of car, screw through the outside of the black rubber rear cockpit surround molding. Are they hidden under the inside of the black molding? Or through and through? They do not sell finished nuts, so my guess is hidden inside of molding?
5. The 'Durable Dot' metal snap (rivited in), (one on each side of the B-post), I suppose I wait until I fit the soft top hood, or the hood cover, and see where the strap lies.
6. The 7 'Durable Dot' metal snaps at the rear of the cockpit upper edge go through the rubber rear cockpit surround molding on the outside (from a photo). Do they go all the way through? or under the molding on the inside?, are they male or female ends?
7. Now to the hood (soft top) stainless steel retaining strip with its seven holes. Photos I have show a male snap end on the outside of the retaining strip...I assume this is to allow a female snap from the Top cover when in use (with the hood rolled up and tucked away), or the tonneau? Moss shows a machine type screw to hold these 7 snaps. Seems to me would need a female snap under the soft top edge to attach to a male snap on the rubber molding?
So how is it really?
8. 4 metal 'Durable Dot' studs on the inside of the cockpit, rear bulkhead for the top cover. I guess I wait untill all else is fitted, then lay the top cover on, and see where the straps fall.

When I rebuilt a MGB in the 90's I had another in the garage.........in 2.2 seconds I had answers to nearly all questions! No 'live model' for the Midget, and none nearby that I know of.
Thanking all in advance for any comments and suggestions. Sometimes the simpler the stuff, the more it slows you down.
(One day I'll figure out how to attach photos)

George Zeck

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Tao -

Try the new download. Looked and nothing for itnerior items on pg 72.

I've done the interior on my 1964. They might be similar, might not.

Or Plan B - post pages on your website.

Geo

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
tao724 said:
Hey all. I have the black rubber rear cockpit surround molding ready to place. Keeping in mind I bought this 73 Midget in boxes, and not owning one prior, I mostly go by catalogs and web searches and BCF for my rebuild guidence. I would like to attach this properly with al the correct studs and screws and such.
When I look through VB, and Moss Motors (North America), and Moss UK catalogs, it seems Moss UK has the most organized drawings. However, I'll reference Sprite-Midget Moss Motors page 72 for my questions.
1. The chrome end pieces for the rubber cockpit rear surround moulding are attached by screw/washer/domed nut. (not in Moss NA, but in Moss UK catalog, and VB), this is clear, no prob there.
2. Velcro strips. Does the front of the velco strip go in the chrome finisher?, held in place by the chrome finisher screw? Or is it behind the finisher with its own screw hole?

I am 99% certain that the velcro goes over the the chrome - I should see the car tomorrow - will confirm

tao724 said:
3.Where on the top of the B-post is the 5/8" Tenax long stud, it is sold with a domed nut chrome, so I know it is exposed. and which direction does it face. Its use? Tonneau? Top cover? Hood? All of the above?

the long stud replaces the bolt you mention in #1 - some folk put it there to keep the top from flapping - same alignment but you will need the tenex female end on the top.

tao724 said:
4. The three Tenax 3/8" studs (227-700) on each side of the cockpit rear edge (6 total both sides of car, screw through the outside of the black rubber rear cockpit surround molding. Are they hidden under the inside of the black molding? Or through and through? They do not sell finished nuts, so my guess is hidden inside of molding?

yes you are correct - nothing comes through the back of the rubber. nuts are hidden.

tao724 said:
5. The 'Durable Dot' metal snap (rivited in), (one on each side of the B-post), I suppose I wait until I fit the soft top hood, or the hood cover, and see where the strap lies.
6. The 7 'Durable Dot' metal snaps at the rear of the cockpit upper edge go through the rubber rear cockpit surround molding on the outside (from a photo). Do they go all the way through? or under the molding on the inside?, are they male or female ends?

the male part of the snaps are attached to the car. there is a metal screw already mounted on the snap which screws through the outside black rubber into the hole on the body but not through the back of the rubber.

My rubber piece did not come with holes drilled. FWIW, here is what I did. first I took a sharpie and drew a line down from each hole so that it extended a couple of inches below each hole. I then installed the rubber and took same sharpie and drew a line marking how far down it went - intersecting the previous lines. I then removed the rubber. this left a "cross" below each hole - the "vertical" indicating where the hole as and the horizontal indicating where the rubber ended. I then measured the distance from the horizontal to the centre of the hole. I then reinstalled the rubber and matched the "vertical" with a piece of masking tape on the rubber. I then transcribed the measurement to locate the spot where to drill the hole.

I then took the rubber off put a piece of sheet metal in the vice and slid the rubber on it. I then drilled each hole, but, it wouldn't drill through both sides because of the sheet metal. hope this makes sense

tao724 said:
7. Now to the hood (soft top) stainless steel retaining strip with its seven holes. Photos I have show a male snap end on the outside of the retaining strip...I assume this is to allow a female snap from the Top cover when in use (with the hood rolled up and tucked away), or the tonneau? Moss shows a machine type screw to hold these 7 snaps. Seems to me would need a female snap under the soft top edge to attach to a male snap on the rubber molding?

yes - male on the body and female on the retaining strip

So how is it really?

tao724 said:
8. 4 metal 'Durable Dot' studs on the inside of the cockpit, rear bulkhead for the top cover. I guess I wait untill all else is fitted, then lay the top cover on, and see where the straps fall.

yup.

there are also two snaps, one on the bottom of each windshield post - and a tenex post in the centre between the dash and the window - this for the tonneau

if I don't make sense, post again

When I rebuilt a MGB in the 90's I had another in the garage.........in 2.2 seconds I had answers to nearly all questions! No 'live model' for the Midget, and none nearby that I know of.
Thanking all in advance for any comments and suggestions. Sometimes the simpler the stuff, the more it slows you down.
(One day I'll figure out how to attach photos) [/quote]