• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Paint question

Diamroyal

Freshman Member
idiot new-timer question ahead, all are warned...how much paint does it usually take to get a good basecoat for spridgets?

BWillis

Jedi Knight
Are you wanting a two stage or single stage paint job? Personaly I prefer the single stage with about 4 coats. Wet sanded and buffed properly it looks as good as BC/CC but is easy to repair when NOT if you get chips.

With that said it took 5 quarts of PPG Concept paint to paint my Bugeye inside and out with some left over for future repairs.

HTH

BWillis

Jedi Knight
By the way, WELCOME TO THE BOARD!

It looks like were distant neighbors as well.

Have a look at my website and these pictures to see paint as I descripbed above.

newb_2_xsm.jpg

PAINT PICTURES

OP
D

Diamroyal

Freshman Member
I'm not really sure yet, as far as one stage or a two stage...:: shrugs :: I'm still debating whether or not to take this one back to the original or not...in which case, I'd prolly do a one stage for the original color, (pale primrose,) or, if I decide to hold off on a concours condition restore until I get another one, (read: out of school!) I'd be painting this one, (gasp!) a /very/ non original sparkly-powder-blue, (blame it on this guy who had one just like that in florida, and shot off my whole midget obsession a few years ago!)
Needless to say, if it's going to be sparkly, it's going to be a three-layer job. :: sighs :: why does tuition /and/ paint share a remarkably similar price tag?

But I can't really feel horribly bad about it, 'cause right now it's neon-flaming yellow. And gray, where the previous owner tried to convince himself that bondo was a magical wand. :: blink, blink ::

:: sighs :: right now, I just can't wait until the beginning of october for when I can next have help putting the clutch back together, and the engine back in!

(and yes, your's is horribly fabulously painted. I'm green with envy. So is everyone around me. We're all pining after paint jobs!)

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Here is what you go through to get there. See link below.

Welcome.

OP
D

Diamroyal

Freshman Member
hahah! yeah, I must confess, I've dug through that link already! :: sighs :: I'm sure our resident bug-eyed owner will throw a hissy fit when we decomission her car for it's much needed body restore. We're already bracing for the scene that's sure to come! Thankfully, rust is only appearing in the trouble areas, and it's really quite limited considering the 46 year age tag on it!

(but I think, for the bug-eyed, we're going to wait until we have a proper garage! Right now, we've jerry-rigged a workspace out of a future bedroom in a /house/ we're restoring..it's all in the ease of fitting a 4ft8in car through a 6ft french door opening...:: winks :: )

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
What ever works. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Shealey

Jedi Trainee
Solid colors look better in single stage. I'm not fond of two stage for solids. It makes the color look like plastic not a fine rich color. An outer skin paint job should be able to be accomplished with a gallon of unreduced color. Some paints and paint brands have less solids than others. Hence the need for more product in some cases.

Attachments

• 256890-IMG_8716.JPG
    256890-IMG_8716.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 47
Country flag
"I'm not fond of two stage for solids. It makes the color look like plastic not a fine rich color."

... It is truely a matter of personal preference. I like two stage for darker colors, but I think lighter colors look better as aingle stage.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I am a clear coat lover, looks like a first class wax job without the effort. Old men love clear coat.

BWillis

Jedi Knight
The trick is to mix a little clear into the final coat of color on a single stage job. This gives you the added UV protection, extra durability and easy chip repair but doesnt add as much shine. The single stage paint will shine but the color will be on the surface instead of being buried under the clear.

I like BC/CC on cars that had it originally don't get me wrong, as you said its personal preference.