• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Opinions on this car

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
What do you guys think? This fellow wants to sell this unfinished project for $9500. According to him, rotisserie paint, 13B injected rotary, almost completed restoration. Needs fuel gauge wired up, no wipers, speedo doesn't work, no turn signals (the exhaust runs out the holes for the signals now). Things I see is running the exhaust properly and putting signals back where they belong, proper tail lights, may not have a fuel return line for the injection back to the fuel tank (or does it need it??) and most noteworthy is the larger than necessary trans tunnel. Oh ya, he also removed the oil injection for the apex seals and runs 2 stroke mix in the tank to take care of that lubrication (a common "upgrade" so you aren't burning crankcase oil) Let me know

Attachments

• May2014 100 (1280x960).jpg
    May2014 100 (1280x960).jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 163
  • May2014 109 (1024x768).jpg
    May2014 109 (1024x768).jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 156
  • May2014 106 (1280x960).jpg
    May2014 106 (1280x960).jpg
    115 KB · Views: 153
  • May2014 107 (1024x768).jpg
    May2014 107 (1024x768).jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 147
  • May2014 103 (1024x768).jpg
    May2014 103 (1024x768).jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 161

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
You'll never be able to duplicate it for anywhere near the asking price. However, with a modified car, the true test of its value is how it runs and drives. Does everything work together? Will it drive on a hot day without overheating? Do all systems function properly. It looks really well done. Rerouting the exhaust may take a bit of work depending on the system. Did he mount the mufflers in the boot and seal it off? I don't know about the oil system mod, I'd probably ask for opinions on a rotary site. Adding oil to the fuel is kind of a pain, but not much more than Saab 2 stroke drivers used to do. I was under the impression that EFI motors do require a return fuel line to the tank. Is this car running and driving now? If so and everything checks out, it looks like a "screaming" deal to me.

OP
bugedd

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
It does run, I was going to post a video here, but couldn't figure it out. He bought the car from a fellow who was paying out the nose to have it built, and that guy I think wasn't prepared for the cost involved on a restoration/modification. So he bough it for his wife, but he admitted he really bought it for himself, as he is a motor head with a twin turbo 1932 Ford in his garage as well. She doesn't drive it, they are moving and want new furniture, so thats apparently why they are selling it.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I saw the video on this one and it is stupidly fast and is set up for Auto-x. Might be extreme for street use and I certainly would want to driver it . There is a guy with 2 B'a for sale on eBay who wants this one and is local to Seattle his 2 BE's one finished and one primered shell are going for the same price.

G

The exhaust and the gaps bother me. Leave the car and take the chick. :encouragement:

OP
bugedd

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The exhaust is easily fixed, the muffler is under the car. Just a bit of welding to fix that. I did get in touch and it does have a return line for the fuel.
Super fast is what I want, just wanted to see if there were any negatives to what has been done. The car is even the same color I wanted to paint mine :smile: Only thing I don't want to do is the 12 hour drive each way to get it...ugh. There's some beer in it for whoever wants to get it for me!

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Rick X2! The work done has to cost 21/2 times the money he wants for it if not more. If you want a rotary Bugeye, this is the car for you!
Rut

Branson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Im (still) building a '65 sprite with a 12a rotary and ive got well over $9,500 invested in the car so I agree that you cant build it for what he's asking. From the pictures it looks like a pretty good build. Im not sure why the transmission tunnel was enlarged to the extent that it was, the mazda transmissions arent that much larger than the original unit that came in the car. Another option in lieu of premixing the 2 stroke oil with the gas is to run whats called a sohn adapter which uses the mazda oil metering pump to draw oil from a separate reservoir containing the 2 stroke oil instead of using motor oil from the pan or having to break out a funnel and a measuring cup everytime you fill up

https://www.rotaryaviation.com/store/p6/Oil_Metering_Pump_Adapters.html

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oh me, wonder if he would swap for Miss Agatha. Wow, get it and love it.

OP
bugedd

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Well for the 4th time now, someone is supposedly picking up mine Monday or Tuesday, and that will free up the funds to get this one. If it happens, I talked my lady into keeping me company for the 12 hour drive :smile: Just need to borrow a trailer.
The trans tunnel is one thing that kinda bothers me, but I guess it shouldn't. He did go bigger than needed, and very boxy. If it drove me nuts, I guess one could cut it out and fab up something less bulky.
Branson, Thanks for the oil injection link, that seems like the way to go! I was wondering if one would keep a box of 2 stroke mix in the boot for a long road trip.
Alright guys, keep your fingers crossed for me!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Well for the 4th time now, someone is supposedly picking up mine Monday or Tuesday, and that will free up the funds to get this one. If it happens, I talked my lady into keeping me company for the 12 hour drive :smile: Just need to borrow a trailer.
The trans tunnel is one thing that kinda bothers me, but I guess it shouldn't. He did go bigger than needed, and very boxy. If it drove me nuts, I guess one could cut it out and fab up something less bulky.
Branson, Thanks for the oil injection link, that seems like the way to go! I was wondering if one would keep a box of 2 stroke mix in the boot for a long road trip.
Alright guys, keep your fingers crossed for me!

as an aside, on one of the other boards I frequent, a fellow is putting a Miata engine in his Triumph Herald - he cut the transmission hump out of the parts Miata and simply welded it in - I wonder if you could find a scrap RX7 and do the same thing?

OP
bugedd

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
From what I understand, taking the tail end off the rx7 trans and swapping it with a B2000 will put the shifter about 2" off from stock. Good enough to weld back in the stock tunnel, if one could find a donor car. And that is they way I'd like to do it.

G

From what I understand, taking the tail end off the rx7 trans and swapping it with a B2000 will put the shifter about 2" off from stock. Good enough to weld back in the stock tunnel, if one could find a donor car. And that is they way I'd like to do it.

Would you like it to stay a project car or do you want to drive it? Why reinvent the wheel, it's done, leave it be.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Would you like it to stay a project car or do you want to drive it? Why reinvent the wheel, it's done, leave it be.

Great point, Billy. Drive it for awhile and see if it's comfortable. No one is going to mistake this for a stock Bugeye and going to the effort of putting in a smaller tunnel is just going to take away from your time behind the wheel. Besides, this one's got CUPHOLDERS! Do you know how hard it is to hold a Big Gulp between your legs while your rotary motor is spinning up to 9 grand?

OP
bugedd

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
True, if it works and is comfortable then let it be until I get really bored one winter :smile: I admit, the cup holders are kinda cool!

Slick Willy

I can't say I'm a bugeye guy or a British car guy really. I own one but its been in the family since it was new. I do however know a guy with a rotor motor and a SB chevy Nash, both of which are very fast. If it where me and could afford it **** yeah. Coming from Mopars and Harleys which cost a butt load of money, if one comes up and is right, buy it. I sold a Hemi Road Runner back before the internet and the car auction craze. That same car today would be gold, but in the early 80's it was just another beat up Plymouth.