• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Opinions Needed

60TR3A

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I'm interested in the car at the listing below. It looks to be a high quality, fresh restoration but there are scant details. I've requested more details about when the restoration was completed, by whom, if there's a photographic record of the restoration, etc. From the photos it looks to be a solid #2 car bordering on #1 and is priced accordingly. I'm not an experienced judge of these things, however, hence the reason I am asking for help from those among you who are.

I already own and love my BJ7 in distinctive Pacific Green over OEW, the interior of which is similar to the one in this car. I'd like to add this BRG car to my fledgling collection which consists so far of just the BJ7 and a TR3A. My wife will likely freak out but she'll just have to deal with it. Life's too short and I have this passion that can't be slaked.

If no one finds any glaring issues, I'll fly over to Chicago and take a look and test drive this car to see if it's as nice in person as it appears in pics (assuming I get all the right answers to my questions about the restoration, that is).

Therefore, any and all comments will be much appreciated.

https://www.northshoresportscars.com/used-inventory/19660000000000013#Details

BigGreen

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
From the pictures it looks very nice. I have one in the same colours
Some minor details are wrong (traffic lights at the front switched)
If you like it and have the money, go have a look
In the current market some price reduction must be possible

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Seems like a well restored car and is priced accordingly. Too expensive imho. If you are looking for points to negotiate you can point out that the top and interior are not an original colour and the front seat patterns are wrong. Personally if I already owned a BJ7 and had $90,000 to spend I wouldn't be buying a BJ8.

CanberraBJ8

Jedi Trainee
If you already have a good BJ7, why not get something that looks and feels quite different? My vote would be. Porsche 356 :smile:

rjc157

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Idon't know it looks like a nice looking car but 90 is a lot of money the blue one they have looks just as good and its almost 40 grand less ,if your able to spend that much there are a lot of cars out there ,good luck.just went through some cars for sale in hemmings there looks like a beautiful car for sale in st augistine you could drive to see it ,in what your looking to spend there are more out there ,are you looking foe concourse

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
In my experience, dealers like North Shore typically do not provide any history on a car they have for sale. The VIN is not identified, but if you can provide it, the BJ8 registry may have some records. Since there are now 8,129 cars in the registry (approaching 50% of total production) and many with extensive ownership history recorded, there's a 50/50 chance that there will be some information in the registry that could be useful to you.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I'm interested in the car at the listing below. It looks to be a high quality, fresh restoration but there are scant details. I've requested more details about when the restoration was completed, by whom, if there's a photographic record of the restoration, etc. From the photos it looks to be a solid #2 car bordering on #1 and is priced accordingly. I'm not an experienced judge of these things, however, hence the reason I am asking for help from those among you who are.

I already own and love my BJ7 in distinctive Pacific Green over OEW, the interior of which is similar to the one in this car. I'd like to add this BRG car to my fledgling collection which consists so far of just the BJ7 and a TR3A. My wife will likely freak out but she'll just have to deal with it. Life's too short and I have this passion that can't be slaked.

If no one finds any glaring issues, I'll fly over to Chicago and take a look and test drive this car to see if it's as nice in person as it appears in pics (assuming I get all the right answers to my questions about the restoration, that is).

Therefore, any and all comments will be much appreciated.

https://www.northshoresportscars.com/used-inventory/19660000000000013#Details
Try and find a car with a detailed restoration such as this one for less money...good luck! I think I've seen this particular cars interior on the Heritage Trim website. A Heritage interior could set you back $9K, plus Top and Tonneau, etc. and not including installation. IMHO, It looks reasonably priced. A lot of Healeys are being done on non-original colors and it doen't appear to affect their value. IMHO, what most affects the value is the quality of the completed job.

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Do some comparison shopping. You should find a number of good choices within your budget. When I was looking for a Healey, I was amazed at the range in quality (and value) at a given price point. Good luck with your search!

OP
60TR3A

60TR3A

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
If you already have a good BJ7, why not get something that looks and feels quite different? My vote would be. Porsche 356 :smile:
I've been looking at them, too. However, a good one is a lot more money than the BJ8. For example:
https://www.canepacollection.com/detail-1959-porsche-356_a-convertible_d-used-10531031.html
I've requested the asking price but judging by what I've seen in ads on Hemmings, this car could be anywhere in the high $100s or as much as $250K.

OP
60TR3A

60TR3A

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Seems like a well restored car and is priced accordingly. Too expensive imho. If you are looking for points to negotiate you can point out that the top and interior are not an original colour and the front seat patterns are wrong. Personally if I already owned a BJ7 and had $90,000 to spend I wouldn't be buying a BJ8.
What would you be looking at in the $75K price range if not a well-restored BJ8? I'd also buy another BJ7 if the right colors and condition and price presented itself.

pkmh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If you still feel the urge to buy this and for the amount wanted, then, in my opinion, it should be all numbers matching, mechanically perfect along with having excellent compression, performance, no modifications to engine or drive train. As mentioned above, the cosmetics are different in spots and that too, should be considered as part of the negotiation process. Frame looks good from the one photo shown. Engine looks clean and original from a first glance. Is exterior color what came out of factory? I assume no accidents. Yes I agree with one post--if you already have a Healey then maybe consider something else (Morgan was what I almost went for when I lost my first BJ8 to Sandy). But note of contradiction, I have a BJ8 and often entertained the thought of what it would be like to have another, a two-seater Healey with a tri-carb setup. But one Healey is enough for me.

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Looks pretty good to me (I own a BJ8). The only thing I noticed--didn't spot the swapped driving lights--is the boot lid seal ('grommet') was installed in sections (note the top edge). It should have been done in one piece, with the joint at the bottom (I think).

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Here's my opinion, with the very large caveat that you're the one paying the bills and have to be happy with your choice. If I already owned a very nice BJ7 like yours, I wouldn't think a BJ8 is going to deliver a big enough changed driving experience to make it worth a $90k outlay and I, too, would be looking elsewhere. If you want to stay in the Healey family, perhaps a 100 with LeMans options or, dare I say, a top of the line Bugeye (every Healey guy should own one at least once.) In fact, for $90k you could get the 100 for yourself and the Bugeye for your wife to keep you out of the doghouse.

Some of us see the British sports car world to be in a state of imbalance when a big Healey costs the same as an E-Type Jag. Bet you could find a sweet one for the same ask as the BJ8. In my eyes, still one of the sexiest cars ever made . In the $90k neigborhood you can probably find a high line Cobra replica, like a Kirkham or ERA. Probably the ultimate development of the British sports car and with a replica, you won't have to worry about rust. (Kirkhams have aluminum bodies by the way). And if the 356 Porsches are too much, maybe an early 911S would do.

Whatever you decide, good luck with the hunt.

OP
60TR3A

60TR3A

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I should have qualified this exercise which narrows the field considerably: The car must have an easy-to-use convertible top and must have roll-up windows. This Eliminates Morgans, earlier that 63 Healeys, and Cobra replicas. I don't have one house with a big enough garage to house a collection. Rather, I own 3 homes, one in Miami (2-car garage), one in Sanibel (oversized 3-car that might actually accommodate a fourth so long as they are both the size of a 3000 or TR3), plus a summer/fall home in Woodstock, Vermont where I have a small 2-car garage. I could conceivably own a 3rd or even 4th collector car without having to store them in a public fine car storage facility. Rather than ship my BJ7 to Vermont each year @ a R/T cost of $3100, I could conceivably have a BRG Healey here in VT, my BJ7 in Miami and keep the TR3 in Sanibel.
The reason I need the better weather protection is because VT gets cold and blustery in September so I could effectively lose Sept/Oct driving if I had my TR3 up here. I did have it a few years back and it was so cold that I couldn't put the top on. The top wouldn't stretch and I gave up after a half hour or busting my fingers. It was like trying to squeeze a size 14 woman into a size 6 skinny jeans. Wasn't gonna happen, no how, no way. I'd have had to heat my top to relax it and even then, the clip-in windows wouldn't provide much insulation against the cold and the rain. So, if I were to get a BJ7 or BJ8 for Vermont, it wouldn't be in conflict with my BJ7 in Miami as they wouldn't likely ever be stablemates, anyway.

I think the BRG BJ8 could be bought for a lot less than the $90K asking price but it'll still be serious money. But not as serious as a comparably restored E-Type as they run $145K - $185K. A number 1 BJ8 sells for $90K - $110K. If I could buy a #1 E-Type OTS for $90K, I'd do it in a NY minute.

OP
60TR3A

60TR3A

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
It's a survivor, not restored. Plus, it's a Series II and I only want a Series I with covered headlamps and no ugly bumpers.

Country flag
I know this shop, have been there many times. Never bought anything - no $$! :smile: They have been in the Chicagoland area quite a while. There is a service/restoration area in the back. I don't they'd still be in business if the cars they sold were shoddy. They don't give anything away - they are in business to make money. I think this shop falls into the "buy the best you can afford" venue - if you can afford to buy something from here, you'll be getting a very good car. I could go look at it for you if you want eyes on it before you book a flight, etc.

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey 61TR3a,
I would suggest looking at a BN2 as very different driving experience from a BJ7 or BJ8. IMHO, Gerry Coker's original design of the 100 is the best but have owned all models of Healey's other than a BJ7. You can certainly find a nicely restored 55 or 56 BN2 for well under $90K and many people feel from an investment point of view, it will out perform a BJ8. Not that a BJ8 won't either, but why have two cars that are basically identical other than the dash and center console ! You also might consider a BN7 tri carb if you can find one or simply a BN6 or BN7 dual carb. Nothing out there sounds as great as a big six engine and the BJ8's do not have that same sound or feel, again IMHO ! Plus all of the above or true roadsters versus the convertible BJ7 or BJ8. As to the one you are looking at, nice car but over priced.
Regards,
Mike

PS - missed the later posts so didn't read you want roll up windows !!!

Last edited: