• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Opinions and questions re an eBay TR4

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I'm in need of a project, and I'm considering making an offer on a TR4 on eBay: item no. 201529681068. I hope some of you could weigh in on it. I have a couple of questions:

1. If you look at the left-side pictures, there appears to be a kink in the rocker panel at the front edge of the door. I can't imagine what could cause this, without some obvious damage. Or, is it just that the fender is bent out a little right behind the wheel well? Any ideas what could cause this?

2. What do you think would be a fair offer for it?

3. Any other thoughts or observations?

Thanks--

Country flag
Looks pretty used and abused. Not a 66, would be a TR4a. Probably a 65, maybe even 64. I have a 66 4a thats in better shape, engine is running and is drivable. Brakes bad. Price close to same. Biggest problem would be shipping since I am in Ala. pm me your email for pictures and price if interested

Marv

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Price is too high. Actually the undercarriage looks surprisingly solid, but it has had a quick and cheap respray sometime in the past and I would still worry about Hidden damage or rust, the front fender and rocker interface is pretty funky looking.

Still I will add that I do like seeing the Michelotti bodied TRS getting some love as far as values and desireability. I remember taking my TR4A to brit car shows in the late 80s and early nineties and would see 20 or so side curtain TRs, as many or more TR6s, and 2-3 Michellotti bodied cars. Values and interest seem to have evened out a bit over the years.

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
I'd ask for photo of the left hinge pillar area with the door open. A T-bone hit is a possibility. As mentioned, with the quicky respray, anything could be hiding, however it looks solid. Having good floors is a bonus. Since you appear to be relatively close to where the car is located, shipping should not be too bad. I couldn't afford to buy it and have it shipped. I agree $3500 would be top dollar. If it was me, I'd like to be in it at around 2700. Seller is accurate in stating "it needs everything". Solid axle car is the least desirable of the TR4's, but like glemon says, the 4's are kind of picking up, but you'll definitely have more in it than it's worth... at least for a while. And , that is if the engine doesn't need to be rebuilt. You'll have 12-15K in it to make it a presentable driver. Looks like fun though...keep us posted.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
It's not the rocker...it's the front wing. Look closely at the wheel flare on the left side vs the right side. The right side is correct, with a small flare. The left side has a much larger flare....indicative of a lot of bondo.

The car was hit in the area of the left front wing. As a minimum it damaged the wing. It could have damaged the "A" post, sills, and frame.

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Refurbishing my 45 year owned & loved 63 TR4. Had some quick and dirty rust repairs done in the mid 70's; recently married, starting a business, buying a house, in short no shop no money. Just learned how quick and dirty the other day. Glass Blaster left some of the "bondo" on so I could see how things had been done. Other fender the same way. I always thought the bottom of the front fenders did not fit well, now I know why. Knowing what I know now after disassembling a cared for TR, I think if I were to buy another one I would prefer it be in pieces and blasted.

DSCN1328 (1024x768).jpg

DSCN1330 (1024x768).jpg

OP
Sarastro

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Guys, thanks for your insight. I realized that it wasn't really a '66; I figured a '64. Unfortunately, I'm not free to go see it, even though it's only a short day's drive away--I have a disabled wife I can't leave alone, and she doesn't travel well by car. So, with that, the question of the "kink", and in view of the asking price that is probably too high to negotiate down to some sane value, I think I'll let this one go by.

I had a TR4A in my wild and profligate youth (mid 60s), and I've always wanted to have one again. I have been looking for a good restoration candidate for a long time. Not because I can't afford a good, restored one, but I just like doing the project. I bought and restored my MG TD after a long and fruitless search for an appropriate project TR4. "Appropriate" to me means not too much rust, reasonably complete, and no (or few) problems I can't solve myself. And, I'm pretty resourceful--I sold the MG for about what I put into it.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Steve,
Now that we know what you're looking for what kind of price range are you looking at? I love looking for cars, LBCs in particular and will be happy to pass on anything I see.
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
As far as TR4as that need complete restoration, I bought a very straight 67 with a little rust in the drivers floor pan and a rusted boot floor, but otherwise in good shape. It needs everything cosmetic and mechanical, but it's a great car to restore...$2k. I bought another 67 that has rusted floors, rockers, upper tub, and frame, but the engine turns and has good compression. This car was sold as a parts car, but the wings, bonnet, boot lid, etc. only have surface rust...$400.00. I agree that the price is moving, but my $2k 67 is pretty close to the same condition as the one Steve's asking about on eBay.
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag

malbaby

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
That car is a BIG project.
Another consideration....are you prepared to spend $20K on top of the buy price to make it a nice car again.

ghawk16

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
What's with people spraying their BRG cars red? The guy that initially bought my car did the same thing since he couldn't find a red one at the dealer. Bought green, sprayed red. Well it's going back to green!

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
That PNW car has been floating around for 6+ months now, suspect all is not as well as it looks unfortunately. Might be a steal, but likely would of be grabbed up already.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
What's with people spraying their BRG cars red?

When TRs were first produced red was not one of the colors offered, instead some rather unusual colors were featured including geranium and an olive green. Supposedly the major west coast distributor (CalSales) was re-painting new cars in red just to be able to sell them.

When STC visited the dealership and learned of this they finally realized American tastes favored brighter colors and, in particular, red.

As Bill Blass famously said:

41361d0ed10bcacb__When_in_doubt_wear_red__Bill_Blass__Fashion_Designer.preview.jpg

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
Now's the time to get a TR4 or 4A before its too late. The numbers coming up for sale have been diminishing quickly for a few years now. Too many have been scrapped and what's left has been rode pretty hard. A good one will just keep racking up the miles and they are easy to live with. I don't see any decent running cars under $10K , does anybody?