• Hi Guest! Being a Paying Supporter is NOT a requirement to participate at BCF. However, subscribing will help ensure we can continue to serve the LBC community for years to come. If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource...Please consider supporting us by **Upgrading**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3A SU Carb rebuild opinions requested

71TR6

Country flag
Well, I'm looking at my TR3A HS6 carbs that have been sitting idle for 30+ years and debating whether to put them on the engine and try them or just bite the bullet and rebuild them.

I've rebuilt ZS carbs but never SU so I'm not sure how involved a rebuild is nor how to check if a rebuild is warranted other than checking play in the shafts.

Any thoughts or guidance out there in BCF world?

Thanks,
Ron

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I sent my TR3A carbs to Joe Curto because the bushings had a lot of wear in them. He did a great job they looked like new when they came back but he is not cheap.

David

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I had the HD8s on my Healey re-bushed by Tom Bryant. He inserts Delrin bushings and line bores them to a perfect fit on the shaft. He also does complete rebuilds. Since he's a Volvo guy, he's most experienced with HS6s. His rebuilt carbs run better than new.

My carbs, which had never idled properly, now will idle at any speed I set them to.

Tons of info on his blog:

NeilRogers

Country flag
A TR3A should have H6 carbs. If they've been sitting for 30 years the cork seals will be dried out and they will leak badly. A rebuild is not difficult unless you need to replace or bush the shafts.

If they were changed to HS6 carbs then I can't comment on rebuilding them as they are different carbs.

charleyf

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
A TR3A should have H6 carbs. If they've been sitting for 30 years the cork seals will be dried out and they will leak badly. A rebuild is not difficult unless you need to replace or bush the shafts.

If they were changed to HS6 carbs then I can't comment on rebuilding them as they are different carbs.
I agree that a TR3 carb is most likely a H6 not a HS6. I agree with the above comments about rebuilding the H6 carbs. Not bad unless you need to rebush and replace the throttle shafts.
HS6'S are much easier to rebuild.
Charley

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
+1 You can try them, but I bet they will start running fuel on the floor as soon as the bowls fill.

vping

Yoda
Country flag
I had the HD8s on my Healey re-bushed by Tom Bryant. He inserts Delrin bushings and line bores them to a perfect fit on the shaft. He also does complete rebuilds. Since he's a Volvo guy, he's most experienced with HS6s. His rebuilt carbs run better than new.

My carbs, which had never idled properly, now will idle at any speed I set them to.

Tons of info on his blog:
Not used Tom yet but took a look at the website. The Q&A section is very detailed and informative. Nice to have another source for carb rebuilding.

OP
71TR6

71TR6

Country flag
Yup, they are H6 carbs- I mistakenly called them HS6. I dug into them today and they were a mess. Pistons felt like they had molasses in them. Rather than horse around with them, I’m sending them out to be rebuilt.

Thanks everyone!
Ron

Snowkilts

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Plus one for Tom Bryant's blogs. I rebuilt my carbs in the '90s before internet was a thing. After reading Tom's blogs I immediately took them off and rebuilt them again to fix all the stuff I did wrong the first time. Tom also sells viton(?) replacement seals at cost plus shipping to replace the cork. Seals will last indefinitely.

Suncoaster

Country flag
Tom Bryant rebuilt my H6 carbs about a year ago & I could not be more pleased. He went the extra mile and didn't charge a dime extra. I recommend him wholeheartedly.

OP
71TR6

71TR6

Country flag
Thanks for the responses. I opted to ship them off to Joe Curto to have him bring them back to life. Quite a long lead time so I'm going to have to be patient.

Ron

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Do not think you will be disappointed with the results of his work. He is also good about answering e mail questions if you have to make any adjustments to the carbs.

David

TR-3rg

Country flag
Hi,

Joes's rebuild kits are good. I am on my second rebuild kit from Joe Curto. The first one lasted 10 years. I also replace the jet return springs and the dashpot springs each time. Keeps the choke working well.

1960 TR-3a, H-6 SU's
Roy