• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

No spark - Revisited

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I got a battery in the '74 and turned it over. Sounds very strong & has great compression. No spark.
Horn & lights work as well as wipers & hazzards.

I still need to check most connections to make sure they are not corroded.

When the PO parked the car 10 years ago, she had just replaced Condensor, wires, plugs, cap, rotor & points and it looks like it. I know most of you would recommend changing those which I plan to do but not at this moment.

How do I trace the electrical from A to Z to make sure that I am getting power to where I need it first, second...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The "most likely suspect" is FUZZY POINTS! Did you clean 'em with some fine emery cloth? Check for voltage at the coil, put a 12V test light at the CB side of the coil and see if you have "trigger" blink (it won't fire with this)when spun and if not, the points are somehow fouled. Most likely if the coil has voltage and the thing won't light off the points are corroded.

Report back!

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Just to elaborate on startech47's comment, It's not clear if the car ever ran after the PO replaced the points. Very easy to get the movable point's spring anchor end assembled wrong so that the shouldered insulating washers are not insulating the movable point springs anchor end from ground. This arm which is connected to the coil must only be grounded when the points are closed.

The spring anchor post (threaded) from point plate up should have:
1- A shouldered insulating washer against the plate with it's inner shoulder facing up.
2- The large eye in the point spring fitting over this shoulder.

Above the point spring eye:
3- The eye of a short wire on top of the point spring eye which goes to the side housing insulated block (point connection to the coil).
4- Next the eye of the condenser lead on top of the side connection lead (3) with it's hole centered.
5- A top shouldered insulating washer with it's inner shoulder down & insulating the inside of 2,3, & 4 from the post.
6- A lockwasher & nut over the top insulating washer which secures the stack.
7- A small flexible ground lead from the point plate to one of the point plate to housing hold down screws.

Some points also require a flat insulating washer between the pivoted end of the points & the point plate. This can usually be determined by the point to point vertical alignment, or whether any metal on the point pivot is contacting the mounting plate.

A simple check - Ignition on - points open - should read 12 volts from the coil to distributor connection. Points closed, should read zero volts.
Hope I haven't "over explained"
D

Rick_Stevens

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
My 2 cents' worth: Startech47 and Dave's comments are the first place to look. I made this mistake this summer when I replaced the points, in spite of knowing better. Easy to do wrong, easy to fix. (It sounds complicated, but once you see it in action - if that's the problem - you'll go "Doh!")

R.

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
Dave,

I don't think you "over-expained" but gave the best description of the stack that I have ever seen...one to be printed out and saved for future reference! Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Bruce

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
T'was good.

...and ~I'm~ the one to say "Doh!" I didn't consider the possibility of grounded points... even tho I've DONE it (to) myself. Not just ONCE, either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And that is excellent, it needs to be in the knowledge base if someone can and Doug will give permission.

Someone???

dklawson

Yoda
I keep several PDF documents at the link above. They are free to post anywhere they will be of help.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ok folks, you heard the man. Please add to knowledge base.

Guinn

Jedi Warrior
Very good advise from all. And just yesterday my neighbor, restoring a 1924 Willis Knight asked for ignition help. I found the spring that activates the movable point was sloppily attached to the insulated post and was grounding out against the base of the distributor. FWIW,

Guinn

dklawson

Yoda
Shorting the points to ground is also easy on the Lucas 23/25D and 45D distributors. The little spade lug on the condenser wire can be inserted in a manner that it touches ground. On the 23/25D dizzy's there are also insulating washers that are often put back wrong (or not at all) and that will short the points out.