• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

No gas coming through carbs --how come??

Bruce_B

Jedi Warrior
Newly rebuilt 1275 engine on my BE. Got it started last week using starter fluid,but no gas was coming thruogh the HF4 carbs. So just put back the twin SU's that I know worked fine on the 1098 that came out of the car.

Still no gas from the carbs! Engine will starter with starter fluid. Checked fuel - plenty pumping from hose. Checked the fuel from the hose that goes from the front carb (That has fuel input line) to the back carb...gas coming from there. I checked the floats in the carbs and they're fine.

In testing I took off one of the SU covers and removed the piston. What would that gas to pump out from where the needle would set? But nothing came out.

Is it possible that intake valves on all of the carbs are adjusted incorrectly? Seems unlikely...

Ideas...suggestions?

Thanks..

Ideas...suggestions?

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
Re: No gas coming through y cars --how come??

I assume you mean HS4's.

Is the float sticking closed? Did you adjust the floats?

zimmy

Jedi Knight

bruce , u might want to edit ur title
to get more hits ....z

dklawson

Yoda

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"In testing I took off one of the SU covers and removed the piston. What would that gas to pump out from where the needle would set? But nothing came out."</span></span>

I'm not sure I understand the question here but it sounds like you're looking for gas to come pumping out of the SU by moving a lever or by taking off the vacuum chamber. That won't happen with an SU.

Take John's advice and remove the float bowl cover to confirm that gas is getting into the float bowl. Based on your description of what's happening it sure sounds like the float valve is stuck or way out of adjustment.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Only one thing can be happening. Stuck closed needle valve in float bowl. Check em both and go for a drive.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

ummm... there IS another thing possible: if there has been some sediment in the bowls over time and "new" gas has been introduced (read:ethanol), check the jet tubes to float bowls for obstruction. I found this LAST WEEK. A Sprite with a very sudden hard start and poor idle/acceleration. Rear carb seemed fine but the front one wasn't doing much of anything.

A "quick-n-dirty" way to check is to remove bowl lids, domes and pistons. With a piece of 1/4" rubber fuel line, put one end over the jet orifice in the center of the carb, push down on it to make certain you have a fair seal then blow into the other end. You should see fuel FLY from the bowl. If it's at all hard to blow thru it needs to be cleared.

What I believe caused the blockage here was many years of running and setting static, junk in the bottom of the float bowl got "melted" with the introduction of ethanol and found its way into the tube. A small blob of goo came out after using aerosol carb cleaner with a "straw" to shoot into it. It was the consistency of tar.

OP
Bruce_B

Bruce_B

Jedi Warrior

Just came from the garage to type of what I did and it's just what the Doctor Ordered!

I had pulled the carbs off the car, drained the fuel from the bowls and using a tube blew air into the bottom of the bowl--not much come out from the jet orifice.Took it apart, cleaned it out with carb cleaner--and the gook came out of the tube. Clean up both carbs that way...reinstalled on the car.

IT LIVES!! My engine now runs from the carbs. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Now I'm can go onto other jobs on the car.

Thanks!!!!

dklawson

Yoda

I'm glad you got it sorted out and without having to invest in new parts!