• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New member intro...

razoredge34

Freshman Member
Here I am. I read Basil's welcome message and he asked if I would introduce myself so here goes.

My name is Scott and I'm from the Southern California area. I've been into VW Type 34 Karmann Ghias for better than 7 years now. It has been a great pleasure to find and restore one. I'll have it forever.

I've owned 2 MGs...one a 1979 MGB and the other a 1978 MG Midget. I preferred the B. It's been 15 years since I've owned one but that hasn't stopped me from looking, reading the magazines and attending shows. It's been a detatched relationship of sorts. I even waited in line to get an autographed copy of 'Aspects of Abingdon' from Marcham Rhoade and have read it about a zillion times since 1997.

Now I'm ready to find another B. I've narrowed my scope to the rubber bumper cars of 1975-1980 and living in SoCal I'm sure I can find a suitable car.

Not having a car yet, this is where my intro concludes. For now...

Hopefully I'll see you all out there (here). Wherever.

G

Welcome, Scott, nice to have you aboard. I'm sure you will find a good MG and be able to have some fun driving it and working on it. I have had mine for 23 years and still love it.
I have a '72 "B" and have only owned one other british car and that was a '68 Sprite. It had been wrecked and I was restoring it when the "B" came along so I gave the Sprite to my son to take to college and started on the "B".
Bob

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Welcome indeed. Being the owner of a 1980 MGB, I must say that it is fairly easy to live with, but all that emmisions junk they put on them is a pain in the nether regions if you have to fix anything, not to mention the lack of performance! At least it runs on unleaded.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Welcome aboard (again) Scott. Thanks for taking the time for an intro. It does help to keep the activity level up when new folks jump in an introduce themselves. If you are an MG fan you are in the right place! We have a whole boatload of great MG owner here ready to help!

Cheers,
Basil
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grouphug.gif

Kim de B

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Here's another welcome to the board! Good luck with your search. (Sorry can't help you there, but I'm on the other side of the continent ...)

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Hi Scott!
The beginning of you post sounds like Isaiah announcing the coming of the Messiah. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Anyway, Clever web-name! (razoredge34)
That's a truly rare car you have.
I'm not sure, but I'll bet there are plenty of air-cooled VW people (ex or otherwise) on this forum. I've had several Type Ones, a Kombi and two Formula Vee racecars (but never a "small" or "big" KG).
The newer MGBs and Midgets are a good choice and still reasonably priced. If you're focused on newer Brit cars, don't overlook a newer Spitfire either.
G'luck in your search.

Bret

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
<<SNIP>>

Now I'm ready to find another B. I've narrowed my scope to the rubber bumper cars of 1975-1980 and living in SoCal I'm sure I can find a suitable car.
<<SNIP>>

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome aboard! I would suggest contacting your local MG or British car clubs. Here in the San Diego MG Club about a year or so ago – we had a member offer up a nice 75 MGB for about $500. (Wife told him he had too many vehicles) Never actually looked at it but according to other members it was a great deal and not a basket case as the low might have you believe. Anyway a club seems like a logical starting place to start your search.

As for me I picked my 78B via the Autotrader. The seller originally asked well over $3200 when I first saw the listing. But slowly the price came down to $2500 and that’s when I started haggling with the guy and knocked his price down to an even $2K.

I expect you’ll find at similar prices for a Rubber Bumper driver.

Good luck!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
R

razoredge34

Freshman Member
Thanks for the warm welcome all. I'll hopefully find a '75 or '76 to get around the smog issues we face here. I still have my old manuals so I'll hit the ground running.

The one glaring difference will be the age of my B. My last one was 7 years old when I had it so it was essentially a new car. At the time my girlfriend's dad had a '79 that had less than 10,000 miles. That truly was like a brand-new car. They will be my inspiration.

I'm in no hurry with my search. When the weather turns cold here (well, 70 degrees) then the deals will start getting sweeter. Summer in Southern California isn't the ideal buyer's market!

I'll keep us posted.

Thanks again for the warm welcome...

Scott

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I live in Seattle. There is a beautiful 73 MGB, white, totally restored at cosmopolitanmotors.com located here is Seattle. It is quite expensive, but the car has been there awhile so he might come down in price. Anyway, it is probably a 5 footer. Might be worth a look see.

jeffelln

Freshman Member
I've got a late Model "79", but you can't have it.

Just kidding. I am also a new member of this Forum and have never posted..........., "Basil forgive me". I was referred to this forum site by a guy who is a diehard Beamer freak living in Kansas. I just wanted to join out of curiosity and casual interest /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nopity.gif

I also live in SoCal, in the Palmdale area. I'll keep my eyes and ears out. Sounds like you are concerned on the smog issues, but look into it. I beleive California has a 25 year "classic's law" if you will that allows relaxed smog restrictions if you register the vehicle that way. Of course you aren't supposed to be driving it everyday, unless that is your plan and then maybe an early 70's model might be better for you.

Good luck, the cars are out there, although not as common as a few decades ago.