• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 MII Suspension

Low'n slow

Bronze
Country flag
I'm thinking of a Mustang II suspension swap on my 75 TR6.

Plans are for a 2JZ engine and transmission. I already have the Nissan rearend upgrade.

Good plan, or talk me out of it?

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
I've seen it done...but the entire TR 6 frame was reconstructed....Chevy V8 & automatic trans, Ford rear
Have you been to this Forum ?

mgNOT

Country flag
I have a TR6 with Ford small block, and modified my TR6 chassis.
I don't recall any examples of a TR6 swap with a Mustang II front suspension
grafted, which is not to say it cannot be done. Every swap involves considerable
re-engineering by the person doing it. I would think that going to a Ratco or Fast Cars
aftermarket chassis might be a better solution. Both of those are well sorted, and would
stiffen the car. The TR6 is very narrow, will the Mustang suspension fit, or would
the wheels be outside the fender-I mean wings? The general consensus is that the rear of
the TR6 chassis is the weakest part so that will have to be addressed.
The 2JZ is not the most common swap into a TR6, but there are a couple at least.
My decision to go with the Ford was it had been done before, was relatively short
(using Explorer engine), modification parts for the engine were plentiful and would increase
performance without going full-on racer. My fear with the 2JZ would be the length.
I know nothing about that engine, so maybe I'm speaking from ignorance, but engine intrusion
into the passenger compartment was something I tried to avoid. Some have done various V6's,
but I felt that if I was going to the trouble, I would go for a little more performance than a moderate upgrade.
-Dennis

Tybalt

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have no idea with respect to using the Mustang II or even Pinto front suspension on a TR6. Regarding the Toyota engine, there are different flavors of the 2JZ engine, normally aspirated (2JZGE, 2JZGE-VVTi (normally aspirated with VVT) and then there are the 2JZGTE engines that are turbocharged and the later 2JZGTE-VVTi. I did find some dimensions for the 2JZGTE. From https://www.supraforums.com/threads/need-physical-dimensions-of-2jz.403696/ post #8:

OK, I have an Aristo 2JZ-GTE in my garage right now, waiting for a swap. I just ran down and took the measurements.

Head
8 1/4" wide (edge to edge)
30" wide (edge of stock twins to edge of intake manifold)

Engine
31" long, pulleys to starting edge of bellhousing (end of block)
27" tall, bottom of pan to top of valvecover

Oil sump
11" long, starts 5" back from edge of pulleys
13 1/2" wide

Hope that helps, PM me if you need anything else.

Dave

I would suspect that most dimensions would be the same between the GE and the GTE variants with the exception of width since it looks like width includes the twin turbochargers and intake manifold. I do know that a BMW inline six swap has been done many times. Here is a link for a BMW S50 engine transplant into a TR6:

The owner of this car is/was on here as milemarker60 (last post Oct 2008, also same user name on the British V8 forum) if you want to try and follow through on the build process, just be aware that it looks like the pictures are now gone. There had also been pictures on a British site that morphed from a Austin Healey, MG, Triumph site into "The MG Experience." While new posts could not be made about anything other that MGs, they kept the Austin Healey and Triumph stuff archived but when I just checked to see if any of the pictures were there, they have now killed those archives. Not a good thing as there was a wealth of information in those archives. I'm going to have to dig into the Wayback Machine some time and see if they archived any of that stuff.

OP
L

Low'n slow

Bronze
Country flag
I've seen it done...but the entire TR 6 frame was reconstructed....Chevy V8 & automatic trans, Ford rear
Have you been to this Forum ?
Yes, I have been there. I see mustang coilovers mentioned, but no mention of the cross member etc...

OP
L

Low'n slow

Bronze
Country flag
Our 2jz is not turbocharged. It looks Ike a better fit than the 1uzfe that we were going to use.

I have significant help on the engineering side as my brothers built cars for a living.

I appreciate the input.