• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 Front Suspension

crispy

Country flag
I'm in the process of rebuilding my front suspension. I'm unable to remove the bolt that retains the front lower link bushing. The nut came off easily. I've soaked the bolt/pin w/penetrating oil for days, but still can't get it to budge. I'm considering a sawzall/reciprocating saw as last resort, but there's hardly enough room. I'd love some suggestions from those of you who have already been down this road. How do it get this dang thing out? There's got to be a better way.

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
... There's got to be a better way??

Somewhat better than a sawzall is the use of a 'ball joint separator,' what my dad called a 'pickle fork:'

The problem is the OEM metal-rubber bushings; the inner metal sleeve rusts to the pin. With the pickle fork--sharpen the business ends if necessary--you can usually break the pin free. It will likely warp the head of pin, but they can usually be flattened with a hammer and anvil (or replace if you prefer). Consider urethane replacement bushings; they stiffen the suspension a little, should last forever but will probably squeak sooner or later.

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Been there done that , a recip saw has to long a stroke to control it .
you can buy a Handle for a sawzall blade and cut the pins out by hand , pull up a comfy chair it takes a while .

OP
crispy

crispy

Country flag
Success :smile: !!! Thanks for the pickle fork tip Bob...I owe you a beer. No idea why i didn't think of it myself. You know what they say...it takes a village. A couple of well placed bashes w/the pickle fork made enough space for the sawzall w/a short blade on it. Then finished the cut by hand. Phew :smile:

Attachments

• healey bolt.jpg
    healey bolt.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 119

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
If you use the urethane bushings, be sure to grease the pins with some waterproof grease - will delay the onset of squeaking.
I went the whole hog and drilled mine for grease fittings:
View attachment 69490
If you don't use urethane bushings and the bushings have a steel sleeve, use anti-seize. If the new bushings don't have a steel sleeve, do not use grease, the rubber flexes.

OP
crispy

crispy

Country flag
Finally got that last dang bushing out. Oscillating saw was essential. My intent is to go w/poly bushings, no steel sleeve. Thank you John.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
John T,
Pretty sure there aren't any actual rubber bushings without the steel sleeve. The sleeved or sleeveless poly bushings rotate on the pins and will squeak without grease. I know this from personal experience. Also Tom Monaco (Tom's Toys) told me they always grease the poly bushings for the same reason.

Personally like the poly bushings because you don't have to mess with the 2" block every time you jack up the car.