• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Longer grease fittings

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
If it ain't broke, maybe it can still be fixed?

Today I jacked up the car to grease all those easy to get to fittings. I know, jealous of me having all that fun huh. The British mush have small hands or some secret grease gun fitting to get to the 3 fitting on the drive shaft.

I ordered two long grease fitting from BCS, to replace the short stock ones. What made me think I could replace them with the shaft in place. Before removing the shaft I played with many extensions configurations. Here are the photos of what I came up with.

No problem with any of the extensions interfering with rotation. But... and there is usually a but. Will this set-up interfere with balance? Is the shaft balanced? Will it throw anything off or affect anything when this is rotating?

Today may have just been another day spending quality time removing something, fooling around with it, then putting it back together the way it was and reinstalling it.

So, nice job Roger, or dude what were you thinikin. Don't do it man, put the short ones back.

Roger

Country flag
I'm sorry, but I'm gonna have to go with the "dude, what were you thinking?" category /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

You really have trouble getting the grease gun into the U-joints? I don't have any trouble doing the rear one, but the longer MGC xmsn means I have to do the front one through the cover's window (that's a bit of a pain).

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hey Randy,

Tell it like it is, I can take it.
I know, it doesn't look pretty. It's all about ease of access. The rear fitting is do-able. But what the heck, being I am tweaking the front, why not make the rear super easy while I'm at it.

Looks aside, and I am looking at it laying on my work bench. I am concerned if this set up will affect any 'balance' for lack of a word, before I put her back.

As much as I liked getting grease all over myself, the car, the floor, the creeper and everything I touched; I do have another life besides removing, installing this unit. Just to find out the guys here say, those longer fitting will affect (insert here). Take it back out and put it back the way it was. Ah yes, I get to bond with the drive shaft again.

Someone please tell me...Looks like heck, but it should work fine. Install it. (NOT!)

Roger

Bugeye58

Yoda
Hey Roger, it looks like heck, but it shouldn't affect the balance. If you're sure there will be no interference under any condition, install it. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
I wonder if you could get the flush fittings that take the grease needle instead of the standard Zerk fittings? I'll have to do some research on that one.
Jeff

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Roger,
There are two things that I’d watch out for with those grease fittings. One; you’ve mentioned with balance. Like a flywheel, mass further out on a rotating object has a greater effect on balance. Two; the extended fittings may hit the emergency brake cable, especially on a turn. If you snapped a fitting off, that could be a real pain to get out.

Country flag
I'm not sure about the balance thing. I didn't notice any alinement marks on your flanges for puting them back in the exact place it came off. I was always told to mark them so they don't throw off the balance and prevent drive shaft shake. If it is that critical then you may be throwing off the balance. I'm sure others will prove me wrong.

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
For as long as I can remember (which these days ain't what it used to be),almost every time I've had difficulty getting a clip on type of grease gun fitting onto a zerk fitting, I've been able to use a needle fitting on the gun. Just push the needle (it's not really a needle, but more of a thin tube with a beveled tip)hard into the zerk opening and pump away. Unless the zerk is badly clogged it usually works fine. Just be sure the ball reseats when you are done. It is like the Healey OEM grease gun, but with more oomph. The needle is so thin that you can get them into tight spaces. It goes without saying that you have an easier time doing this if you do not have a flex line on your grease gun. Of course your extended zerks will affect the balance. Unless the opposing fittings are opposite and equal, and do not move relative to one another, you will change the balance.

Jon Robbins
Jon

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Here are 4 photos showing the new fitting in place.
Photo 001 shows the rear fitting.
Photo 002 shows clearence to the emergency break.
Photo 003 shows the front rear fitting that used to be only accessable thru the tunnel.
Photo 004 shows the front forward fitting.

Looks good on paper. I'll see if I notice any difference when I get her out on the road. If she behaves badly, I will understand. Good news, I've the the R&R down now /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Country flag
I remembered the other day that my XK140 had plates welded to the drive shaft to balance it so it must be critical. I will be interested in how it goes.