• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I'm no longer safe!

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
My 18 year old step daughter just got her license about a month ago-
I told her that any time that she wants I would show her how to drive a stick-shift. Today she wanted to try!
She stalled the Orange-crate maybe twice total and now is doing really well, I now need to take it off of Hagerty and put it on regular insurance!! I may have someone else in the family who likes these weird toys too!! :smile:

BillM

RickB

Yoda
Ahhh... Good News Bill!!! :wink:

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
That's good news! Besides, Spridget clutches are cheap. :smile:

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Ah, .. . Teaching someone to drive a clutch... Here's the BEST method I've ever heard of or tried... (It's worked with my niece, nephew, and both kids)..

With them in the driver's seat, and the car started, make them get the car moving
without using the gas peddle!

That simple.

Make 'em do it over and over---get the car moving, stop the car, get the car moving, stop the car---Only after they can consistently accomplish that task do they get to use the gas to accelerate, and only after they can do THAT do you move on to actual shifting.

What it teaches is a feel for the clutch, and once they get it they are good at it in any car they ever encounter.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
I used to have an old Mustang II that I would teach people to drive with. It had a V6 and was so low geared that you could not kill the engine in 1st gear even if you popped the clutch going up a hill. It would just chirp the tires and then idle right along. Rough on U joints though. Wife learned to drive a stick shift in England on the wrong side of the road. That was tough, especially when it was a US spec vehicle and you were driving from over on the side of the road.

davester

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
My dad simply gave me the keys to his VW bug and said "off you go". It was parked pointing uphill. Took me a while.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Billm said:
My 18 year old step daughter just got her license about a month ago-
I told her that any time that she wants I would show her how to drive a stick-shift. Today she wanted to try!
She stalled the Orange-crate maybe twice total and now is doing really well, I now need to take it off of Hagerty and put it on regular insurance!! I may have someone else in the family who likes these weird toys too!! :smile:

BillM

next step DEFENSIVE driving

OP
B

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
I did exactly as BillL says and had her only use the clutch, no gas. Works really well and has for years and several kids (and ex-wives too).
My step-daughter is one of the most careful and defensive drivers that I have ever seen, unfortunately to such an extent that I occasionally worry that she is too scared to be safe but I am really comfortable that a little time and experience will make her a very good and safe driver.
BillM

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Billm said:
My step-daughter is one of the most careful and defensive drivers that I have ever seen, unfortunately to such an extent that I occasionally worry that she is too scared to be safe but I am really comfortable that a little time and experience will make her a very good and safe driver.
BillM

I should have clarified. not so much her driving ability but sending her out in a Midget surrounded by Hummers, F-350's, Yukon's etc. etc.

Big trucks small car

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
I would think the most dangerous part would be going from driving a midget regularly to driving another vehicle. Few cars handle like the Midget and going to my Kia sportage I find myself all over the road, having to actually use the brakes in the curves and things like that. The midget spoils you that way.

G

JPSmit said:
Billm said:
BillM

I should have clarified. not so much her driving ability but sending her out in a Midget surrounded by Hummers, F-350's, Yukon's etc. etc.

Big trucks small car

+1

I was thinking the same thing.

I REALLY worry about Kelly in ours (hers). Especially the way idiots drive around here. That's why I bought her an Expedition for a DD. I figured we'll use the other car as the "crumple zone."

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Boy - having a kids who has grown up enough to be driving has to be surreal. My oldest is only 6 and I can't imagine how big/grown-up she'll be in ten years.

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Based on my experience with two boys, it is just a matter of time before the first accident. They are learning and we send them into the battle with the traffic with little experience. My older son had the 1974 Chevy Impala, 4400 lbs. of solid steel. I had few worries with him driving that one.
Scott in CA.

OP
B

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Kendra (my step-daughter) will be driving my Dodge Caravan mostly for the next several years, I will probably start driving the Midget as my daily driver (after I get normal insurance put on it).
For right now she just wanted to see if she could drive a manual tranny.
One of her very good friends (who just got her license about 8 months ago) just banged her Honda Civic into someone else's car and basically totalled the Civic. She now drives an older Jeep station wagon but now everyone in their circle of friend's if far more nervous about driving. Fortunately noone was hurt but it was a good lesson to their littie community.
BillM

RickB

Yoda
My kids are learning in our 6000 pound "mini" van.
I fear for the other drivers out there!

G

....don't forget the boyfriend who likes to hod rod stuff...

I had a friend who wrecked his girl friend's civic so many times; the running joke was the only job he was qualified for was a crash test dummy for Honda.

tao724

Jedi Trainee
I like the method of learning clutch operation as described by Bill L! I've been trying to teach my son with a couple lessons this summer in a Miata because the clutch travel and tranny is so forgiving, but it hasnt clicked for him yet to a comfort level. He does great once out of first gear, just starting is challenging. Being on a incline or hill when at a stop, is very intimidating for him, trying to balance gas pedal, clutch, brakes, stall avoidance, etc. I learned on my sisters Karmann Ghia without instruction, but I was wild to get in that 2 seater convertible, and nothing was going to stand in my way. But, movement with only one pedal to worry about is great. My daughter is learning on an automatic.

Davester's method of learning from his dad, is how my dad taught me how to swim!

tdskip.....my daughter was 6 y/o just a ( as Rich White says) 'blink' ago, now shes 16, its still just as great, but I'm afraid to 'blink' again!

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
regularman said:
I would think the most dangerous part would be going from driving a midget regularly to driving another vehicle. Few cars handle like the Midget and going to my Kia sportage I find myself all over the road, having to actually use the brakes in the curves and things like that. The midget spoils you that way.
grin.gif
True, true. After using Nigel as my daily all summer (and most of the fall,) the first time I got into a 'real' car in months was quite a shock. First thought: "Boy, the windshield sure is far away." I then proceeded to nearly run off the road when I nudged the wheel slightly and the car didn't turn, and the first time I stabbed the brakes (because due to lack of any engine braking, I nearly rear-ended the car in front!) I felt like the front bumper was gonna shovel through the pavement. :laugh:
(My second thought: "OMG I'm going 45 already")

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
RickB said:
My kids are learning in our 6000 pound "mini" van.
I fear for the other drivers out there!

My daughter's first car was an '88 MR2, and my son's was an '85 CRX. Rather than try to get them "SAFE" 4000 lb.+ cars, with airbags etc. so that they could survive a crash, I taught them "if you crash, you DIE", thus light maneuverable cars to AVOID other drivers.