• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Shop Safety or Safe Room Under the Car

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Right now my car is on jack stands at not quite the lowest level. I really don't care to go higher with the jack stands I feel that at the highest level they are not stable enough for me to trust my life with. I still have some work to do under the car. Fuel lines for one thing and a few other odds and ends, so I want some stability while I'm under there. A lift would be great but don't have one nor the budget for one.
My question is, what have some of you done to put your car up in the air with some stable supports?

Your thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Tinkerman

Attachments

• 19686.jpg
    19686.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 1,013

emmett1010

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I have a set of small jack stands like those pictured.
I also have a set at least twice as large. I fell safe under the large stands, but I mainly use the smaller ones for small projects.
Emmett

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Dick - I've never had my TR up on stands at both ends. I've always drive it up on steel ramps to work under it. Similar to these (tho' with more reinforcing structure):

31570QS0X1L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Have to admit I've felt the same nerves when I see someone working under a car that's fully supported on jack stands alone.

Here's one other option, tho' I have no experience whatever with it.

https://www.levo-artis.com/11.html

Tom

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I've got six jack stands similar to yours, and two other larger ones. I used to put the car on four of smaller ones all the way up, and then when I was working underneath, I would strategically place a couple of more stands as insurance. For the most part, the car was up on those four small stands for about four years during the resto. Of course, sometimes they were only supporting the frame. :smile:

If you're not comfortable with elevating the stands you have, maybe you can find some larger (higher) ones that you'll feel safer with. I just went with having more stands under there while working underneath.

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
Raise the car as high as the highest the jack stands will allow, the place a stack of concrete (solid) pavers under each wheel and block the wheels so that if the stands fai,l and the wheels have to take the load, they won't roll off of the pavers.

IMO, unless you are really jerking the car around, the jack stands will be fine.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I have a pair of the "6 ton" jackstands from HF that are very strong and sturdy; along with several "3 ton" sets. If the 24" maximum for the 6 tonners isn't enough, I have an additional base made of stacked 2x4 that will go under them. It held up the rear of my 25' motorhome just fine, so no worries under a relatively light TR, IMO.

Before climbing under, I grab the car and push/pull as hard as I can. If that isn't enough to make it wobble; then it's not likely to fall later.

BTW, even the "3 ton" stands from HF are sturdier than the style you show, IMO. I have a set of those, but use them only for supporting exhausts and whatnot.

Some folks like the ramps, but I quickly learned to hate them when I was younger. They always wanted to scoot across the floor when moving on/off them, sometimes with unpleasant results. (The flying ramp knocked over a gas can that wasn't closed properly.)

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Dick -

What I found was that if I put the car on ramps on the end that I wasn't working on, and then put the jack stands on the other, it gave me more room. Also, if the stands failed (heaven forbid), the ramps would be a bit of "insurance".

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Tink,

I have a set of the small stands like you show and then I have another 8 larger ones kicking around.

You might want to look for a type of stand that has a bit of a "saddle" on it. I have a set that wraps around the frame more than just sitting on the frame.

I also have a set of "rhino ramps" that I think are rated to 11 000 lbs....i use them to get the car up off the ground and if I need to go higher, I still leave them in position "just in case"

Another thing you can do is this....I have two floor jacks as I like being able to jack the car on both sides a little at a time to get it up on the stands. After the car is on stands, I usually leave the jack under the frame about 1 inch from lifting it. I figure that it will help if a jack stand falls over or collapses....

Also, use 6 stands instead of 4 if you are really worried.....

Just a few suggestions.

Cheers,
M. Pied Lourd

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Jack stands are very safe, as long as you do not leave the rear wheels on the ground and the trans in gear, then try to start your TR. Duh!

IMG_0523-1.jpg

IMG_0524-1.jpg

IMG_0526-1.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Let's see ... 120v high intensity light under the engine bay when the car falls, oil and gas all around the carbs and engine ...

Doesn't make you feel any better, but that could have been a whole lot worse!

Tom

G

Mickey Richaud said:
Dick -

What I found was that if I put the car on ramps on the end that I wasn't working on, and then put the jack stands on the other, it gave me more room. Also, if the stands failed (heaven forbid), the ramps would be a bit of "insurance".

I've seen ramps cruch w/ static load after a while. I wouldn't bet my life w/ a shock load. dad had some made from 3/8 thick 4" angle. You coulda put a dump truck on 'em. Be carefull wit dem widda makers !!!!

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I agree with Randall on the 6 ton stands. Much larger base than the 3 ton. I did spend much more money on the stands though. For me if it says Made in China on them I will not trust them with my life. All of my stands were made in the good ole USA.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
I have two 2 ton, two 4 ton and two 6 ton jack stands, For most work at home, I'll use the 4 largest ones. When it's up, I grab the bumper in front and then the bumperettes in the rear and I try to shake the TR3A off the stands. They have always held - as they are supposed to. This shaking tells me that the TR will not fall off the stands all by itself after I have gone under.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yet another reason to disconnect the battery while working on the car!

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
NutmegCT said:
Dick - I've never had my TR up on stands at both ends. I've always drive it up on steel ramps to work under it. Similar to these (tho' with more reinforcing structure):

31570QS0X1L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Have to admit I've felt the same nerves when I see someone working under a car that's fully supported on jack stands alone.

Here's one other option, tho' I have no experience whatever with it.

https://www.levo-artis.com/11.html

Tom

Ive never had a car where those were actually functional. Typically we would have to wedge rocks near the tires, drive onto the rocks without pushing them or driving off, just to get the cars high enough off the ground to wedge the ramps under. Oh, and every car had stock suspension.

Clearly the triumph may not have that issue, but never tried. Usually we jack it up, and just use two jack stands, leaving the jack as a 3rd support if not used as a lifting tool for engine, trans, diff. I always use a parking brake, but my husband only uses it if just the rear is going to be up in the air.

TR3driver said:
Yet another reason to disconnect the battery while working on the car!

Well if you go by the book, you should disconnect it for anything. Changing the oil? disconnect the battery. replacing a strut? disconnect the battery. Washing the car? disconnect that battery.

Country flag
Dan,

Man, no offense to the other members here, but your car has to be in the top 5 of BCF TR3s! Simply spectacular!!

And thank you for being brave enough to share your "oops" pictures with us. That sort of thing CAN and DOES happen - even to the best of us.

Glad to see the damage was mainly to the light and the jack stands. Those can be replaced.

Now, would you mind telling me where you leave the keys to the garage and the car when you go out of town and when the next time that will be?? :whistle: :angel: