• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Long story. Garage find 73 midget

RaserX

Hey guys,
Here goes. I was at work one night. I'm a gas and water trouble shooter. So I was called to meet a customer whose mother Inlaw had passed away. The house had been broken into and the copper piping stolen. So my job was to gain access and determine if the water could be turned off inside.
The person I was to meet was late ( pretty common in my job). So while I was waiting I began checking the home to see if I could get in. All doors had been locked so I was stuck waiting. That's when I noticed a small brick garage on the elevated back yard. The garage backed up to an alley. So I walked up the the alley to see if maybe the guy was parked where I could not see him. He wasn't. I glanced into the broken window of the garage and saw a little dust covered red car. That's when I thought "what a cool little car. ". It was completely covered in dust and it looked like a small child had written a message in the dust "wash me daddy". Again, I thought how cool and wondered how long it had sat In that tiny model A garage.
About that time the guy showed up. We did our business and made small talk as I repaired his leaking water service. The owner explained that his mother Inlaw had lived in the home for all of her 80+ years. As we walked up out of the basement the little car came back to mind. I asked him if he knew anything about the little car or who wrote the message. As it turned out he was an MG guy and the car was his. His eyes lit up when he started telling me about it and how his daughter about seven at the time had left the note as a joke. He obviously loved midgets and apparently had one or two.
He explained that he had bought in 1998 after seeing it sit at an auto repair shop for a couple years. He had driven by it every day on his way to work for two years. One day he stopped in and asked about it. The garage owner said a lady had dropped it off for repair and never came back. So he bought it and had it towed to the little garage. He was planning to part it out for the wire wheels. He explained that life got in the way and he literally forgot about it. Now the house was being sold and he would have to leave it to the new owners or get it towed.
I asked if he would part with it. He looked at me and said a little sad that he would. We agreed on a Price and shook hands. I had one day to get towed. So I borrowed a trailer pack up the wife and kids a went back to the little garage. We pushed the little car out of the garage ( after airing one tire) and on to the trailer. I took a few pictures of the car in the garage and as we loaded it up. My youngest daughter grabbed me and said "Daddy I love this car can I have it"? I smiled and said its yours if you help me fix it. She giggled and squealed when can we start!!!
As soon as we got home she was all over the MG. She pretended she was driving and shifting and acting like she was in a race screaaching around the corners and turnin the wheel like a 6 year old. Priceless.
To my suprise, the garage had done a tune up on the car, with a jump and and an auxiliary hanging gas tank it started right up. We drove it up and down the driveway a few times and pushed it back into the garage smiling and high fiving each other.
Now the work is beginning....
I wrote such a long post because I think this car will be as much about my daughter and families journey as it will be about the car. And ten years from now she will be able to read how it all started. In short memories.
Thanks for reading And sorry so long....

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Fantastic story! And we do need pictures, you know... :smile:

Good luck with the project. You may want to post as well over in the "Spridgets" forum here -- lots of activity over there and quite a bit of knowledge. We'll be able to help you get that little car safe and on the road again.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Do NOT be sorry for the post length!! GREAT tale, hope it makes for a father/daughter bonding experience!! :thumbsup:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Yep, and welcome to the party!

rlwhitetr3b

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Great story, but like Drew said...

Attachments

• 28939.jpg
    28939.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 392
Like this

1211387814_2225.jpg

m

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
That is a great "intro" story!

Thanks!

As Drew said above, this part of British Car Forum is really intended for "big" MGs (like MGBs).

As you share more about your Midget (and hopefully, photos!), you'll get a better response if you do so in the "<span style="text-decoration: underline">Spridgets</span>" part of British Car Forum (where Sprites and Midgets are discussed).

Again, welcome! :thumbsup:

OP
R

RaserX

Lol.... I will gladly post pics.... As soon as I figure out how to do it from my iPhone. :eeek:

And classic newb mistake.... Placing post in wrong section.

Hopefully, you guys go easy on me this time as um I didn't know the difference in MG / MG midget- sprite.... Doh!

Definately want to do this for the adventure. But honestly, I wouldn't do it to a car that would not be worth anything... Like an 87 mercury lynx with only 60k miles one owner who was my grand mother inlaw..... But I digress.....

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
No worries, we're an easy bunch here. And we're pretty much all in it for the adventure -- none of these cars are worth all that much money. Doesn't matter, we like them anyways. :smile:

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
This is great. There are a few of us on the forum that are presently doing projects with our daughters. Mine's working on what will be her first car, a 1970 MGB.

OP
R

RaserX

This is how I first saw my Midget
midget1stpic.jpg

My Girl and the car she stole from me...lol
daughterwmidget2ndpic.jpg

Loading her up
ontrailer.jpg

Driving her home
daughtrdrivemidget.jpg

Team effort
meanddaughterinmidget.jpg

Safe at home
lastpicingarage.jpg

RickB

Yoda
Wow - very cool and what a great find - that's a nice little RWA Midget!
I'm also doing a project with one of my kids, Peter, who is 14.
We only have a couple years to get his RWA together, we have a bare tub and a bunch of parts. Missing some stuff but part of the adventure is locating parts and pieces.
Great job getting it running, as you are probably aware there may be dragons in the gas tank so that will need an examination.

Country flag
My daughters (7 and 10) love to ride in the "little cars". They both have helped with little projects on the cars and I hope to get the oldest involved with the "beautification" of the Ugly Bugeye Sprite. For the past three years she has been begging me to make it shiny like the Midget.

It looks like you guys are off to a good start. Keep the pictures coming!

bug_sixty

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
ah.. reminds me of going down back alleys on a sunny spring weekend day in Denver..everyone's garage door open.. looking for just such a find.. someone's treasure waiting to be mine..

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Great find. This thread gave me a chuckle. Thanks guys.
V

OP
R

RaserX

Lol. Thanks for the support guys. Sounds like we should start an "I built my midget with my daughter or son " thread . Plastered with pics of the kids being bored as dad works on the car all day. Lol.
I think the project will be a great bonding experience for us.
Heck , I don't even get to open the random parts boxes that keep
Showing up.... My daughter does. She always want to see what we found next for the car.

Side note: Which parts place would be best suited to purchase parts from? I have read a lot about the different suppliers. Some good some bad. Im more concerned with make a large parts order for a possible discount. Like an interior kit with a new top, signal lenses head lights etc. basically a one stop shopping purchase.Any advice appreciated.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Moss Motors is one of the big guys, I've spent bushels of dollars there. You can often buy parts from Moss through one of their "distributors" and get a pretty good discount. I use British Sports Car Restorations:

https://www.bscr.com/

For bit of a wait you can often get 15-20% off the listed Moss prices through the distributor. There are plenty others who do this as well, very handy.

Moss Europe (https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/) sometimes has bits that Moss US doesn't have, and even with shipping sometimes the prices are better.

If you can wait, Moss usually does a tops and upholstery sale every spring. Use one of the distributors and you get the double discount.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Can't speak to the quality of the interiors, though I think the seat covers (leather) in my MGB are from there. I've generally been happy with what I've gotten from Moss, and do like the top (Robbins) I got from them for my MGB.

Another parts source is Austin Healey Spares in the UK:

https://www.ahspares.co.uk/

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
RaserX said:
Are the interior kits good? Carpet kits? Leather seat vs plastic?

Most all the parts come from the same factories so, if you can catch them on sale.... I bought my parts in bulk from Victoria British. They have a big winter sale. VB has good prices but no tech support. Moss has better tech support. As i recall people had good luck with the Little British Car Co ( Lbcarco.com ) for a discount. I don't think there are any bad interior kits. I got my carpet from Stock Interiors. Am quite pleased. Someone here even sewed seats and was offering to sew others. Just keep asking around, it's a good bunch here.