• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

LF Suspension Clunk identified

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Well I got the Wishbone out on Bugsy's DS and have identified the reason for the clunk when hitting a sewer lid as well as the reason why the front end wanders all over the road. Even though the kingpin felt pretty tight it was welded to the fulcrum pin and they were rotating in the wishbone bushings.

Thanks to my new reciprocating saw the back bolts on the wishbone were quickly sliced through and angle grinder with cutting wheel quickly cut through the fulcrum pin without damaging the wishbone. Now to order new bushings from Apple or Winners Circle and solder them in place.

Was hoping this wasn't the problem with Bugsy's tendency to wander all over the road at 50-60+ but sure hoping a rebushed front end does the job. Now t otake the PS apart and I'm sure I'll find the same over there.

62 and sunny this PM in Dayton. Would have been a great day to have Bugsy out and about but I've identified the problem that has made high speed riving really scary over the past 5 years or so. That's a good thing, my fear was that after taking it apart was that all was good in that wishbone.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hmmm, Fulcrum Pin is supose to be fixed to the Swivel Pin. The Fulcrum pin is supose to rotate in the threaded wishbone bushings.

In fact Pin Moss # 19, PN 264-445 on page 38 insures that the Fulcurm is indeed fixed to the swivel Pin.

However Jim, you are headed in the right direction to solve the wondering problems. Also insure that the Swivel Pin is nice and snug in the Swivel Axel.

Nelson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
That's good news, Jim. Let's hope that this nice weather continues so you can have a proper and enjoyable road test when you get things back together. It was fun taking my Sprite out for a spin today and you can look forward to feeling better about yours now.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
OK Jack, I learned anothier new fact then. I thought the kingpin rotated freely on the fulcrum pin but that makes sense. Threads were definitely worn and quite loose. Lots of play in there. Oh well now to get the MAPP Gas torch out and pull the bushings out tonight and clean it up while waiting for bushings to arrive. Hopefully with some luck will have time on Friday and Saturday to make further progress.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
I just listed my king pin/ front suspension set on ebay but will sell it here for $100, although your BE has drums up front, no? wrong kit then I think.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Jer rear suspension rattle/squeak/clunk remedy... Spridgets 20
B clunk from the front suspension???? Austin Healey 16
M TR2/3/3A Rebuilding suspension Triumph 29
K TR6 Rule of thumb for frt suspension shims Triumph 6
mctriumph TR2/3/3A Front Suspension upgrades for the 59 Triumph 10
G For Sale NEW PHOTOS: Triumph TR3 Chassis Frame + Front Suspension, Fits TR2,TR3,TR3A,TR3B Triumph Classifieds 1
drooartz MGB Front suspension rebuild is next MG 57
Joel Lester TR2/3/3A What final front suspension torque settings needed? Triumph 7
Racer-X- Special Suspension tools 18G95 and 18G78 British Motor Corp 1
P Suspension upgrade for a A40 Devon. British Motor Corp 0
HealeyPassion Kilmartin Front Suspension Gussets Austin Healey 4
Endoscaper TR2/3/3A Lower Front Suspension Overhaul Triumph 2
L TR6 MII Suspension Triumph 6
R TR6 Rear suspension droop restraint Triumph 0
Dnickels Spitfire Spitfire mk2 front suspension too soft Triumph 2
crispy BJ8 Front Suspension Austin Healey 9
Healey Nut BT7 Rear Suspension Austin Healey 15
D MGB Rear Suspension Damper Link Arm MG 2
R TR6 Front suspension fulcrum pins Triumph 6
Michael Oritt Evaluating Suspension Components Austin Healey 4
Upland Mark IV front suspension Spridgets 3
JPSmit Suspension question Spridgets 1
S TR2/3/3A Front Suspension Triumph 6
J Front Suspension Rebuild Austin Healey 16
71TR6 TR2/3/3A Right Front Suspension Damage Repair? Triumph 50
EWD TR6 74 TR6 - suspension bushing tightening Triumph 1
M TR6 suspension puzzle Triumph 3
Jayplum TR2/3/3A Front suspension / springs Triumph 5
TRclassic3 TR4/4A Help with deciphering front suspension problem Triumph 11
L 100/6 tuning and suspension ugrades advice Austin Healey 7
F TR4/4A Front Suspension Triumph 3
warwick-steve Front suspension rubber trunnion bearing question Austin Healey 4
bugedd Winter Suspension Project Spridgets 7
K TR2/3/3A Front suspension inner Lower wishbone bush area? Triumph 3
M Creaking rear suspension Austin Healey 13
T TR2/3/3A Is there a reason for this large pointed piece on front suspension? Triumph 14
S TR4/4A Coil-over suspension upgrade Triumph 4
P TR6 tight suspension Triumph 4
R TR2/3/3A Replace Rubber bushings in front suspension Triumph 11
HighAltitudeTR3 TR2/3/3A Saggy suspension? Triumph 5
RAC68 Has anyone considered Power Rack and Pinion Stearing and/or an Air Bag suspension Austin Healey 32
S TR2/3/3A Suspension Rebuild & Steering Box Triumph 4
DrEntropy MGB Results of renewing front suspension MG 7
Gerald_Gordon TR4/4A Preferred front springs and suspension bushings for mild driving in a TR4 Triumph 3
D Front suspension question Austin Healey 0
D back to the front suspension Austin Healey 4
D Front suspension half moon cotters Austin Healey 6
D front suspension Austin Healey 7
S TR4/4A TR4 front and rear suspension Triumph 8
M TR2/3/3A FRONT SUSPENSION: Rusted lower control arm fulcrum Triumph 17