• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Installation of New Rear Seat Surround Panel for a BJ7

BG 62AH

Country flag
Guys,

I am hoping to get some advice on installing a new panel for the back seats on a BJ7. I am doing a pretty extensive rust removal campain on my car. I am in the process of removing the original rear seat deck panel and installing a new Kilmartin panel. I have not cut out the original yet. Before removing I started checking the way the back seats fit in the openings on the original panel Vs. the way they fit into the new Kilmartin.

They seem to nest very nicely in the old rusted panel, but when I try to place them into the new panel (which is nto installed yet), they don't appear to nest in properly. Some of the angles on the Kilmartin are slightly different than the original, and the rim/edge lip around the seat opening for the Kilmartin is much taller than the original.

Before doing too much cutting/trimming or bending the Kilmartin, I wanted to ask if anyone has had experience fitting in a new one of these panels....and if there are any techniques or fitting tricks that would make the job easier. None of my fitting has been done with the rear deck carpeting in place.

I truely appreciate or any advice or help. thank you

Bill

Attachments

• IMG_0554[1].jpg
    IMG_0554[1].jpg
    195 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0560[1].jpg
    IMG_0560[1].jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0555[1].jpg
    IMG_0555[1].jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 149

AH100M

Jedi Trainee
Although your rust seems pretty extensive (typical) it may be easier in the long run to only patch the really bad areas, using the KM panel as a source for the patches. This way you could leave intact the portion of the panel that actually accepts the seats. Something to consider.

OP
B

BG 62AH

Country flag
Bill

Admittedly your suggestion is one of the potential options that I had been considering. It is a lot more cutting and welding but may result in the best fit. I appreciate your suggestion.

Bill

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
i am in the process of installing new rear seat pans and carpet as well in my 63 bj7. do you have a picture of the piece...squab... that goes behind the two rear seats and folds down? if so i would appreciate a pic and how it is mounted to pivot up and down..that piece is missing in my car. thanks for any help.

rjc157

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
That looks like a very big job to get it just right I would clean up the original and weld a new patch in the rear and be done with it no one is going to sit back there anyway

stevebn2bj7

Jedi Warrior
Patch it! I believe that there is a difference in the seat recess area of the BJ8 vs the earlier cars. That may or may not explain the difference in the panels.

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The seat deck on my BJ7 was corroded around the bump stop area, I manufactured a section out of sheet steel and let it in, does not look too bad at all. The thing to watch for is drilling the drain hole near the corner, I made a mistake and dug into the lower panel and slightly into the trunk area. :wall:
There is a strip of thicker material underneath at the back, I welded a section in to compensate.

:cheers:

Bob

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
bob, below is a pic showing the rear seat area. i am missing most everything except the side vinyl oieces, top framework, rear squab. trying to figure that mounts for the squab. i have seat pans and the squab brackets order.

Attachments

• IMG_1544.jpg
    IMG_1544.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 134
OP
B

BG 62AH

Country flag
Thanks for all of your help on this, I appreciate all of the suggestion. I proabaly will section in repairs portions to the edges afterall.