• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Indiactor light wiring. Is this what I'm doing wrong?

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
At first I could not shut the car after starting. I found that if I removed the white wire that goes from the ignition switch to the indicator light I could shut the car off with the key. This has stumped me for a week now but I think I may have seen my error. I was looking at a rebuilt gauge assembly on ebay and saw that the white wire was connected to the round bullet connector on the bottom of the bulb socket. I had both the white and yellow wire from the generator connected to the two connections in the center of the bulb socket. Is this my mistake? I was thinking the bullet connector was for a ground.

Just for the heck of it could anybody confirm the correct wiring for the turn signal indicator lamp. Don't want an other mistake made.

Thank you

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Keith,
The ignition is the only light on the TR3 that does not have a black/ground. One side of the filament is tied to a white wire, the other side to yellow.

The turn indicator has a light green wire (from the flasher unit) to one side, and black/ground on the other. I am thinking the two sockets are different; one of them having a wiper sort of thing that gets grounded when stuffed into the metal hole, while the other has two lugs on the back for wires -but I could be dreaming.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
...I am thinking the two sockets are different; one of them having a wiper sort of thing that gets grounded when stuffed into the metal hole, while the other has two lugs on the back for wires...

My recollection is that they are rather similar, but that the outer bullet connector on the turn signal indicator is indeed for a ground. I think the indicator light pushes into a colored plastic tube (also the lens when viewed from the front) and thus does not rely on contact with the metal panel for a ground.

OP
M

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The parts book has two different part numbers for the lights, but Moss and TRF sell the one for the turn signal as a sub for the ignition light. This is how I had the wires connected when the car would not shut off, but it sounds like it's the correct way to do it. Disconnect the white wire from the ignition switch and the car will shut off. Somehow I'm getting a back flow of current that keeps the car running.

I also don't understand how the generator light would even show when the white wire from the ignition would keep the light on all the time anyway. This seems way to simple for me to figure out. Ill play with it on Friday, to hot right now.

The yellow wire on the socket in the picture is only for illustration, it's not even wire.

Second picture is from a seller on ebay (6ttr3a) I hope it's OK to show this picture if not I'll remove it. If you look close you can see that the white wire from the switch goes to the bullet connector on the bulb socket.

Attachments

• DSC04702.jpg
    DSC04702.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 109
  • LateBackRheostatSpadeAmp-2[1].jpg
    LateBackRheostatSpadeAmp-2[1].jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 70

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
This is incorrect:

attachment.php

One of the wires whould be connected to that female bullet connector. I put the yellow one there, but I don't think it matters which.

...I also don't understand how the generator light would even show when the white wire from the ignition would keep the light on all the time anyway...

In normal running, both wires present 12V to the bulb (with no ground). The result is that the bulb does not illuminate.

If either side has low or no voltage (e.g. when ignition is first switched on and engine not yet started the white wire is 12V and yellow is 0V) then the bulb illuminates.

It will also have an imbalance (and light up) if the generator fails or if the voltage regulator points get stuck after the ignition is switched off.

OP
M

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thank you very much George that will be an easy fix . Also thank you for the explanation on how the light works.

TK thanks for chiming in also. I new it had to be an easy fix because of a dumb mistake on my part. Hip Hip Hooray

Time to put the front apron back on the car and get it on the road.

6TTR3A

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Keith,
Frank Conklin here (6TTR3A)
I have absolutely no problem anyone using my eBay illustrations.
The problem might be that I publish that photo to illustrate ONLY that the wiring is new
and correctly color-coded. It would be tough to try to trace that (#9) white wire from the photo.
Electrically it is correct, altho the Bentley wiring diagram shows it going first from the red plastic ignition warning light
to the ignition switch and then another #9 wire to the starter switch. My modification eliminates one connector.
Altho it appears you have solved your problem, I'll be glad to send you a clear illustration of how to re-wire
your facia
Frank

OP
M

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thank you Frank, George, and TK

Last edited: