• Hi Guest - Welcome to the New BCF!! Welcome to the new (as of 2/22/21) British Car Forum. For help navigating this platform, see: This forum
  • Hi Guest! Being a Paying Supporter is NOT a requirement to participate at BCF. However, subscribing will help ensure we can continue to serve the LBC community for years to come. If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource...Please consider supporting us by **Upgrading**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this banner)
Tips
Tips

I saw the light! I saw the Light!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Over the past few months, I have been replacing lights in the garage.

1. I bought two battery powered LED lights - one a flashlight with a small trouble light, on a longer light designed (with hooks) to attach to the hood to work on the engine. also battery powered.

2. I bought LED lights to replace the humming nasty fluorescent lights that were there. (I have installed three of four)

3. a $10 LED trouble light - (like the one in the pic)

I struggle to think of any one thing that has so improved the working conditions in the garage. Brighter handier and no worries of knocking things and blowing a bulb or the light twisting out of the way or the heat of a quartz work light. I can't recommend LEDs strongly enough.

work light.jpg

Gliderman8

Yoda
Gold
I hung two 4ft. LED lights in my shop last year. You’re right, what a difference!

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss

1. I bought two battery powered LED lights - one a flashlight with a small trouble light, on a longer light designed (with hooks) to attach to the hood to work on the engine. also battery powered.

2. I bought LED lights to replace the humming nasty fluorescent lights that were there. (I have installed three of four)

I struggle to think of any one thing that has so improved the working conditions in the garage. Brighter handier and no worries of knocking things and blowing a bulb or the light twisting out of the way or the heat of a quartz work light. I can't recommend LEDs strongly enough.

View attachment 67216

My new Kia has LED headlights. They are great from my perspective while driving, but people keep flashing their lights at me thinking I have brights on when I don't. But boy do they light up the road

Popeye

Jedi Knight

Agree on all counts!!! LEDs are amazing! (Plus current battery technology means rechargeable lights actually work when you need them!)

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Ditto. Replaced the four fluorescent 4' bulbs in the garage with LED's and four in the kitchen. Major improvement on both counts. Using dimmable LED replacements in all the house fixtures as well. Brilliant (pardon th' pun)!

LarryK

Darth Vader
Gold
I had thought about LEDs,but I have double 8' flourescents X 22, that are 11' up on ceiling. Don't think I want to be on scaffold to change out. Besides, so much stuff to move around to do the job. They heat garge up nicely in winter if I leave them on with a heater.

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Agreed on the benefits of an LED shop light conversion. However, I keep a few incandescence around to help sort color coding such a wiring.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
The LED trouble lights are great but I find they lack something in the way they project their light. Do not seem to light up the darlk corners under the car as well as the old Quartz Halogen ones do.

I am replacing my shop lights for either LED tubes in the T8 fixtures or LED 4' fixtures.

David

equiprx

Jedi Knight

View attachment 67216
Last year I decided it was time to dump my fluorescent shop lights.
Bought a Six Pack for about $30.
Since then I've had to replace three of the pull-chain switches and one small section on one went dead.
Not perfect but it is an improvement.

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
I had 5 double T8 4 foot fluorescent tube fixtures that I had used when I had my paint booth set up and found it strangly satisfying to gut them and pull out the ballasts or some little transformers and simply rewire them for LED tubes. Now they are light weight, put out better light and are all on one circuit and much lower current draw. My shop is a 40 foot clear span with 10 foot rolling door sections and the light switch was never convenient to get to. I put in a remote wireless, fob operated switch and hang the fob on the inside of the center door where I always enter. Awesome change if I go out at night, no more stumbling around and brilliant light. Now I just have to drive 40 miles round trip to where I can properly dispose of 10 mercury laden tube lights.