• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Hvda will not move into gear

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
First, thanks to Phil for sending me the part I needed. It is much appreciated.

After completion of the HVDA installation, the transmission will not go into gear. She either won't move or grinds.

I have slightly adjusted the 1.5 inch throw on the clutch pedal to a be a bit more.....still no change.

I have concern that I put an inappropriate amount of shims in the throw-out bearing assembly. Based on my calculations, I placed
six shims.

Any thoughts?

Dennis

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Did you bench test the transmission before you installed it?
Is the hydraulic throw out bearing purged of air?

OP
2wrench

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Turned the input shaft and she spun quite freely. Pulled it through gears on the bench and seemed fine. Thought I put the clutch disc in the correct way. Kinda thinking about those spacers placed for the throw out bearing. I don't know. I'm going to double check that the system is bled one more time before I pull it out again.

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Dennis
even if you did not get the spacers perfect the tranny should still shift.

OP
2wrench

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Maybe an air pocket in the clutch fluid. One thing I will note further, in paying close attention to the installation video that came from Herman, I noticed when the gear shift lever was put into place in the video, there was a very distinct "snap" or "click" heard, as the installer pushed down on the gear shift lever. I didn't get that. Just pushed it in and that was it. Wonder if I didn't get it all the way down, although, by all appearances, it seems to be where it should be. For the moment, I was confused as to which way the spring went, so without review, I placed the spring narrow side down, which had the most amount of spring tension against the cap. Don't know if this could have anything to do with my problem. I will not have an opportunity to look at my car for a number of days, but will as soon as is practical. Thanks. Actually, an afterthought, I will note that when the car is not running, I am able to push the gear lever into gear, a little stiff, but she goes.

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Having done the HVDA installation without the DVD, I can comment. Mine came with a booklet of instructions.

The wrong number of shims could certainly be an issue, but there's a few things I would look at closer, before removing the transmission to recalculate the number of shims.

After my car sat for a few weeks (in my garage in humid Houston), the disc stuck to the flywheel and I had to free it. I did so by starting the engine with the transmission in neutral, letting it warm up, then starting in gear (at the bottom of the driveway) with the clutch pressed in, and goosing the gas until the plate freed. But I doubt that's your issue now.

When I first installed the transmission, and was sure it was bled properly, I could not get it into gear. I could select any gear when the engine was not running and I could spin a rear wheel easier with it off the ground and the clutch pressed in. The stop bolt was installed to prevent excessive clutch pedal travel, at the distance recommended by Herman. The stop is required to be sure to not over-stroke the throw-out bearing (and eventually cause the bearing to fail). I had to lower the stop until I could get it into first gear, then I lowered it some more until I could also get it into reverse. The stop hasn't been adjusted since, but it is supposed to be set at a slightly lower depth than required to engage the gears.

I'd look closer at your stop adjustment -maybe remove the stop, because worse case, you pop the bearing seal and have to remove the transmission to repair the seal. The stop is to protect from over-stroking, but if you are under-stroking, change the stop.

Also, I found Herman to be delightfully helpful on the phone, but don't expect a quick conversation.
Jerry

OP
2wrench

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Just an update. Herman called and suggested he thinks it could be I need to adjust a longer throw on the clutch pedal. Can't get to it till nearing the end next
week.