• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Finally!! Test drive HVDA 5-speed install.

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Well folks, after about 6 months of parts collecting and another two of installation, I did my first test run of the HVDA install.

As sort of a purist, not for originality, but for period-style modifications, and not to mention a pure unadulterated hatred of the Toyota automobile company, I struggled for a couple years on the purchase of the kit. But after spending a small fortune on getting two Triumph gearboxes rebuilt (one twice) and still not working to my satisfaction, I was faced with three choices; One, remove my J-type overdrive gearbox again and purchase really good parts from Revington and have it rebuilt again..Two, bite the bullet and get the HVDA kit. Or three, live with the grinding and popping out of gear. I chose door number two, the HVDA kit.

My impressions of the kit: First class all the way. All the parts fit, the rear gearbox mount is made of thick steel and uses Triumph mounts, and the best part; there's no way to tell the conversion has been done unless you drive it. The only thing that I might change.. and this would be ONLY if I had the Goodparts Nissan diff upgrade, would be to get a solid drive shaft made. I can't say enough about Herman van den Akker, his support through this project has been awesome. I would email him with a questions and have an answer, either by phone or return email, in a matter of hours.

Driving Impressions: The big gamble in this, is of course, the gearbox. Purchased from eBay out of a 1985 Supra with 98,000 miles on it, I did all the checks that Herman instructed me to do and it appeared to be OK. Looks like my luck finally held out: The gearbox shifts butter smooth and doesn't grind. Much much smoother than the stock gearbox, although with a very positive feel when you change the gears.

One bad thing: The Toyota gearbox is a little deeper than the Triumph unit, so one of the intermediate pipes for my custom exhaust will need to be bent a little to accommodate. Other than that, a perfect fit.

My car has no more leaks!!!!!!!!!!!

I still have to reinstall the interior and stuff.. but that's the easy part.

Next project: Factory hardtop!!!

Take care all,
-s

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
"I love it when a plan comes together".

I stole that line from the late, great George Peppard, as Colonel John “Hannibal” Smith on The A-Team. But he was much better as Banachek.

Now back to the transmission. What did it cost from eBay, if I might ask?

OP
LastDeadLast

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I paid $200 for it. So far it looks like money well spent, but the jury's still out until I can bang on it a little.. something that I was always afraid to do with the old gearbox.

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Sounds great! Leaves me wondering if I made the right choice with the
J drive, but time will tell. I am excited for you. Drive on, Brother.

OP
LastDeadLast

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
2wrench,

I had the problems right out of the gate... not sure what my deal was; I was told it could be thrust washers (nope, checked that), or bad syncros... who knows. I'm going to eventually rebuild the old gearbox myself with better parts. That way, if I ever want to remove the 5-speed I have something good to put in it's place.

-Shannon

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
And if I ever have trouble with my J overdrive, this is the way that I'll be going.

davidk

Jedi Trainee
Good to hear Shannon. I have the HDVA conversion sitting on the floor ready to be installed in a couple of weeks. I went ahead and had a shop go thru my Toyota transmission. I just didn't like the thought of possibly having to take it back out later.

OP
LastDeadLast

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
davidk said:
Good to hear Shannon. I have the HDVA conversion sitting on the floor ready to be installed in a couple of weeks. I went ahead and had a shop go thru my Toyota transmission. I just didn't like the thought of possibly having to take it back out later.

I hear ya... I was scared to death that mine was going to be a dud.

davidk

Jedi Trainee
Which clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel did you use? I'm considering an aluminum flywheel.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]I'm considering an aluminum flywheel.[/QUOTE]

You won't hear anything negative from me (or Shannon) about that. The best thing you can do when the clutch is out.

BobbyD

Jedi Knight
davidk said:

David.....first TBI and now a 5 speed! What ever happened to originality? Oh wait.... I have those things too! :savewave:

I had a shop go through my tranny too.... they replaced the seals and fixed the speedo gear and told me it "felt" OK. And it still feels OK to me after 9 months of driving. As to the PP, talk to Herman. You should only get a bent finger PP to go with the T/O Bearing that he supplies. As to the flywheel.....I was really tempted to get an alloy one but I was reaching the end of the $$$$ pit for the year. Hey...I'm retired and on a fixed income :nonono: so I pick and choose my battles.

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I bought a (new) HDVA kit with a gone through 5 speed over a year ago (ebay). I've been going back and forth deciding to put it in the TR3 in progress (though not much) or into the TR6 (working well). I'm leaning towards putting it in the TR6 and then putting the TR6 trans into the TR3. I just hate to take apart a car when the weather is perfect for driving it.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you are happy and had great support. My last TR6 had OD, and I really miss it in this one.

OP
LastDeadLast

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
davidk said:
Which clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel did you use? I'm considering an aluminum flywheel.

I'm using an old (but unused) Sach's PP with whatever clutch comes with HVDA kit. I also have a Fidanza flywheel that I recommend highly. One of the best upgrades that you can do to a TR6.

-s

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Shannon, I hope that you and Brosky do post a lot of pics on the
hard top rebuild. I am just conceding that I won't get to it this
season. Probably will start in the spring. Have to paint to match
as well and need the good weather.

I have some finish strips but been too busy to try to fiugre where they
go.