• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 HVDA TR6 Installation and SPEC Clutch [Cross post]

Dwilsny

Freshman Member
(I cross posted this from my original post on 6-pack, figuring some people here may find the information useful)

Well after a few weeks of issues pertaining to missing parts or parts needed to be sourced I have finally dove into the the actual installation of my HVDA 5 speed transmission conversion and SPEC Stage II clutch and aluminum flywheel installation...

In my never ending search for high quality high perfomance Triumph parts (oxymoron?) I have come across a high performance clutch manufacterer located in Alabama by the name of:

https://www.specclutch.com/

I had a conversation with David Norton over there and he was tremendously helpful in configuring a clutch for me and adding Triumph to their "car configurator"...

They have high performance clutches from stage one to stage five and also have light weight alloy flywheels (similar to Fidanza)...

Additionally, I told him that my clutch set was for a conversion kit and I needed a Triumph pressure plate but a 8 1/2" diameter x 21 x 1 1/8 spline clutch disk... They were happy to accomodate and everything was in stock with no modification needed.

SPEC Clutch is a manufacturer and not a distributor so they can facilitate just about anything you need... Mind you they are not the least expensive on the block but they certainly know a thing or two about clutch combos...

Hope this is good news for a few of you out there... I know it was for me!

SPEC Aluminum Flywheel reamed out to accept 7/16 x 20 x 1" long ARP PRO bolts
0809081439avr2.jpg

SPEC Stage II Kevlar clutch disk
0809081614aqo0.jpg

SPEC Stage II pressure plate
0809081622agx6.jpg

Well so far my car hasn't melted from not using the dowel pins and even though I DID purchase them (Thanks Bob D for the McMaster part #) I couldn't get them in from outside the bell housing w/o grinding away some of the casting... So worse cas scenario my car melts and I have to start from scratch...

But here are some Progress pics... (sorry for the contrast... was a sunny day here)
0816081135bsq8.jpg

Yes... 2 cans of Gunk and you can eat off the transmission!
0816081135avl4.jpg

I tore off the old crappy stripping and replaced it with high temp weather/chemical resistant closed cell low compression neo foam rubber strip. This stuff is also flame resistant...
www.mcmaster.com part# 93695K88
0816081135crq9.jpg

Close up of the seamless trim job
0816081136amr1.jpg

I am just happy to be back on the road ... and I beat the heck out of the car and gave it a good run to be sure nothing was gunna explode on me...

Thanks for all the info and advice... this has been a real PITA project mainly due to all the issues from the car already being customized and me having to adjust to that...

Cheers,

R

RonMacPherson

Re: HVDA TR6 Installation and SPEC Clutch [Cross p

Whatever happened to FarmAll tractors? Did they go out of business? I remember years ago, getting a pressure plate and disc for a 6, parts counterman pulled it off the shelf(this was Redlands, California loooong time ago). I commented on how coincidental that he had clutch set on the shelf to fit a TR6. He said he had it on the shelf because it fit a FarmAll tractor. Don't remember the model, as it was over 30 years ago.