• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

HIF44 Carb Questons - need some information

Bruce_B

Jedi Warrior
I bought this off of Ebay and the tag that Identifies the carb model is not attached. I know its a HF44 and I'm putting it on a 1275 engine.

Just needed some clarification on what goes where. That the pipe that's horizontal is for the gas feed. The skinny pipe on the diaganol is the overflow for the carb, and the wider pipe on the diagnol is for ?--crankcase. Can I just cap that off?. Also on the manifold is a threaded hole that I can screw a plug in it or does this attach to the
distributor vacuum hose.

questions: where does the distributor vacum hose go? Anyone else using this setup?

Still trying to get some vroom vroom from this engine.

Attachments

• 11889.jpg
    11889.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 2,057

ChrisS

Jedi Knight
Take a look here. You may have to change to a distributor that uses manifold vacuum not ported vacuum (which it sounds like you are looking for).

Whatcha going to use for a manifold for the 1275 on a Midget, keep in mind this swap to a single HIF44 is popular on the Minis but not so much on the Midget, and the Mini intake angle could be wrong for the Midgets, calling and talking to David Anton at APT would be a good start, he may have a Maniflow intake for this application.

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I agree with Hap. Be careful that you use a manifold manufactured specifically for a Sprite. There's a 10 degree difference in the one for the Mini vs the Sprite. If you use the wrong one the dash pot cap will likely rub and possibly dent the bonnet. (Ask me how I know!)

BuggerAll

Jedi Hopeful
I have a Titan manifold for my HIF 44, sourced from APT. they may no longer carry them. Also I've found that the BDK needle works best on my engine (alloy head, 10:1 CR, 266 cam, 1.5:1 rockers, LCB header, K&N filter. No clearance issues.

OP
Bruce_B

Bruce_B

Jedi Warrior
Thanks to everyone for the information. I need to be my mojo back to keep working on this. More progress notes as I get there...thanks.

ChrisS

Jedi Knight
bill_powell said:
My setup:

PICT0012.jpg

Hope that helps~

Bill,

I'm working on a Volvo carbed project and need to know where this hose goes and what the function of the valve is. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hairyone

Jedi Trainee
yep you're all correct about the manifold. there are very few that fit directly.
I'm trying to persuade Titan Motorsport to re-make them (I know someone is the sales team quite well).
They do occasionally turn up on flebay.
I got an aftermarket mini aluminium one & cut n shut it to reduce the angle. But I still had to cut the dashpot lid down.
A great carb though.

bigjones

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
Bill,
None of my business but what is that hole in your radiator shroud? Is it to accomodate an electric fan?
Cheers!

bill_powell

Jedi Trainee
ChrisS said:
Bill,

I'm working on a Volvo carbed project and need to know where this hose goes and what the function of the valve is. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Chris, the hose at the lower portion of that valve is the overflow. Run it to a catch can or just to atmosphere, but if the latter make sure the open end is in a safe place... i.e. away from a heat source. Mine goes to atmosphere, and empties at the front left corner of my front left wheel arch.

From what I understand, the valve restricts (but not closes completely) the overflow path at idle. Why? I don't know, but I guess it made sense to some Swedish engineer.

bigjones said:
Bill,
None of my business but what is that hole in your radiator shroud? Is it to accomodate an electric fan?
Cheers!

Bigjones, no problem; I'm constantly bugging our membership for info. It's nice to be on the provider side for a change. The hole is indeed for an electric fan. I have one at the front of the radiator:

PICT0005-4.jpg

And a second, small one in the airflow to the HIF. On the HIF the bowl is on the carb bottom, and is therefore exposed to heat from the header. This can be a problem at low speed or when stopped in traffic. I've mounted a nice heat shield between the header and the HIF, and the airflow from the small fan keeps things nice and cool:

PICT0007-5.jpg

Both fans operate together from a radiator heat sensor, and are set to kick on at 185° F.

Incidentally, when I'm stopped, much of the airflow from the small fan is blown through the hood scoop as well. It has actually helped greatly to decrease under-bonnet temps.

PICT0026.jpg

bigjones

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
Bill,

Wow, that is great. I have a HS4 on my 1500 Midget so the set up is much like yours, complete with large K&N. Mine too suffers from heat.

Please tell me more about the fan for the carb. I was thinking of using a fan I bought to cool my PC but was too dang loud.

Good thinking putting it in the same circuit as the main electric fan!

Cheers!

bill_powell

Jedi Trainee
I did not either, at first. But MY OWN Suzuki SV650 has one, and while out one day, when the fan kicked on, I had an 'a-ha' moment. I'm slow, but I do get it eventually.

For fun, the Suzy when I first got her...

07SV6504.jpg

fairmounter

Freshman Member
The two current sources for an intake manifold for an HIF44 that will fit under the hood of a Midget are: 1. Moss about $90 in cast aluminum or 2. Maniflow about $300 in bent steel.

Titans are no longer available and most others will make the carb hit the hood.

The other solution for using a Mini manifold is to make the carb a little shorter.

HIF44 is a little taller than an HS6, but a more efficient design.