• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

HIF44 carb... throttle cable connection

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I'm struggling with getting my throttle cable properly connected to my single HIF44 carb. Anyone have a photo of their set up?

Hairyone

Jedi Trainee
yes I have done this: HIF44 I did have to shorten the arm which the throttle cable goes round. I cut about 3/8" out of it & welded it back together. Without doing this the arm touched the manifold but also didn't get the full throttle travel when the pedal was pushed.

Hope this helps.

lesingepsycho

Jedi Warrior
Here's a quick shot of mine. I used a little driveway engineering and tacked a washer to the bracket to hold the cable.

JACK

Attachments

• 24606.jpg
    24606.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 835
OP
W

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
My set up is a bit different. Do you have a photo of the fitting that clamps the cable to the arm?

lesingepsycho

Jedi Warrior
That's strange. The first thing I notice right away is that your linkage rotates clockwise whereas mine rotates counter-clockwise. The next thing I notice is that it seems like the cable is on too much of a straight pull and so you are losing the cam effect of the linkage there. Instead of being so vertical, it's almost like it should be more horizontal.

JACK

OP
W

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Jack

The cable shown in the photos is the choke cable. The throttle lever is above, to the right and in front of the choke lever. For the photos I had disconnected the throttle cable. The question is...what is the proper fitting to connect the throttle cable to the throttle lever?

lesingepsycho

Jedi Warrior
Right, I realize that the accelerator cable isn't "actually" present. I was speaking about the accelerator cable "as if" it were there. It still looks to me like the angle isn't very good. No matter, it seems as if I misunderstood the question though. I thought you had said something about the throttle not going 'wide open' or something. So anyhow, here's a better pic of my cable connection. It looks very similar to the cable connection in the other pictures from this thread.

JACK

Attachments

• 24631.jpg
    24631.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 498
OP
W

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Jack

The photo helped. I had the right fitting but had it installed improperly.

Now a new problem. When I press the throttle peddle down then release it, the throttle lever doesn't return to idle completely. Could this be a throttle lever spring issue?

lesingepsycho

Jedi Warrior
That would be my first guess. The only other possibilites would be the cable sticking in its sheathing or pedal linkage binding. I had problems with my setup returning to idle as well. I had idle set around 700 RPM but when I would let off the gas it would stick right around 1100 RPM. Then if I would give it a little tap, it would drop down to 700..., sometimes. I had to make a custom turbo plenum anyways and so I wound up creating an extra little tab on the plenum that hung down a little further to give the throttle spring better geometry in order to allow it to really pull the throttle down closed. Also went to the hardware store and got a stiffer spring. Setting up a throttle return spring can be tricky. There's a fine line between too soft and too hard both in terms of feel and operation.

JACK