• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Has anyone installed an electronic voltage ...

roofman

Jedi Knight
Has any one installed an electronic voltage stabalizer on a TR6 to replace the unit found behind the speedo?

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Roof, I can't believe that no one here has done this job...besides me not doing it.

71tr

Jedi Warrior
I'm interested in the conversion as well. From time to time I see these available on the UK ebay website.

T

Tinster

Roofman- I've got a brand new voltage stabilizer
you can have if you are needing one. A fairly easy
install.

d

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Rm- I'm a little befuddled, are you talking about just putting a new one back in,or a "instead of" deal???

OP
roofman

roofman

Jedi Knight
Instead of the old style, I was thinking of installing the electronic one. I bought it from a reputable UK ebay site.
I haven't had a chance to mess with my TR6 in a month or so as I have been busy with work, sick Father, and my following my son's college baseball team. ( see post "self inflicted wound") so I bought this to add when I get a chance. Looks easy enough to install, just wondered if any one had done so.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Here's a link dklawson posted a few months ago on the operation of the original voltage stabilzer and how to build an electronic version. I know it doesn't answer your question, but I'm posting it in case someone would like to make one. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

OP
roofman

roofman

Jedi Knight
That looks a bit involved, I will try to post a picture later today, this is a simple unit.

71tr

Jedi Warrior
roofman,
tell us more about where you purchased your unit, ebay-uk was it. i'm interested.

OP
roofman

roofman

Jedi Knight
Look at ebay # 130073246232 that is the exact unit I purchased from the same seller. What do you all think?

71tr

Jedi Warrior
yes, that is the unit i've seen. if no negative feedback i will likely purchase the same unit.

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I made an electronic stabilizer for my Herald. Same smiths unit as in your 6.
I used the 7810 voltage regulator. If you can solder, you can put it together by yourself. The regulator should only cost about $1-2. Use the 7810 it doesn't need the external resistors it is just a mater of soldering the 3 legs of the device into the old box and pop riveting the box closed again. I soldered the heat sink (the big metal tab on the top) to the old VR box on the inside. That way is stays nice and cool. I have 2 gauges on it, and it doesn't heat up at all so it could easily handle far more gauges. those VRs are designed to handle fairly high temperatures.
Yisrael

OP
roofman

roofman

Jedi Knight
The electronic unit has 3 wires. Red for battery, red/black for ground, and blue for guages.
The Bentley manual shows (2) G ( green ) and (1) LG ( light green ) wires hooked to the stock voltage regulator.
Any body know which wires to hook up?

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
The Green wire is from the battery, so that would get hooked to the Red.
The Light Green wire goes to the gauges, so that would get hooked to the Blue.
The original grounded through the case where it attaches to the body, so the Red/Black (Ground) would just get connected to the body. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

And put the year of your car in your profile. It makes it easier to find info concerning your car. Fortunately, in this case the wiring is all the same for this circuit in the TR6's, except for a color change to Light Green going to the gauges in '73.

OP
roofman

roofman

Jedi Knight
Mine is a 72, what about the other green wire? Martx-5 thanks for your help on this and in the past.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Roofman, have you looked under the dash to see what color wires are there and how many?? I think that you're Manual is showing you some bogus info on the color and amount of wires. Not a problem. The '72 diagram shows THREE green wires going to the battery side of the voltage stabilizer, then a Light Green/Green wire going to the gauges. The greens are all hooked together. The other green wires go to the wiper and washer.

BTW, you might want to download these wiring schematics from Advance Auto Wire. They are the ones I refer to, and so far have proved very accurate.

OP
roofman

roofman

Jedi Knight
Had a minute today and popped out the speedo for a look at the voltage regulator wiring. There are 2 double hookup terminals on the back of the regulator. The first double terminal ( closest to driver door) has a single dark green wire and a double dark green wire hooked to the two hookups with the single green wire on the outside/ double green to the inside. The other double terminal ( closest to center of car) has a single light green wire on the far outside terminal. Nothing on the inside terminal.
1. is this correct?
2. Is the single green the ground?
I am pretty sure the light green is the one to the guages.
3.There is no seperate black ground wire, is the ground made by the mounting of the regulator to the speedo?

OP
roofman

roofman

Jedi Knight
Or... do all 3 dark green wires hook together for the electronic stabilizer hookup.

The electronic has 3 wires red/black for ground to body, lite blue for gauges and red for "battery".

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
All THREE dark green wires hook together on the Batt side. That would be your red wire. The light green (may have a dark green tracer) goes to the blue...the gauges. The other wire (red/black) goes to a convenient ground. The original grounded through the case where it attached. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

OP
roofman

roofman

Jedi Knight
Perfect, THANKS works great