• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Has anyone noticed

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
or is it only me.

Pay Pal is not working the way it use to. It will no longer send funds from your credit card. Looks like they want your bank info, which they will not get, or use of their credit card.

Lots of postes about this on their web site. Looks like the days of fast pay on Ebay are a thing of the past.

Anyone else notice this, try to send someone a buck and see what happens if you do not have a current balance in your Ebay account.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
More, here is a quote from Pay Pal.

Getting Verified means that you have linked a confirmed bank account to your PayPal account or that you have been approved for the PayPal Plus Credit Card or for PayPal Buyer Credit. Getting Verified helps confirm your identity and increases the security of the PayPal network.

No way they get my bank info and I like my credit card just fine. See no reason to get theirs.

lbc_newbie

Jedi Warrior
I've been using PayPal for years and it has always been linked to a bank account. It is an account that never has more than $100 in it. If I need to put more in it, I do and process the transaction immediately. PayPal has always been secure with my information and I have never had a bad experience. They've even reimbursed me for someone that I paid that did not provide the item. They also insure when you ship. There are fees involved, but I'm willing to put up with them to avoid the inconveniences of sending a certified check and waiting 14 days. How else would you recommend paying for items on the internet? I sure don't like putting my credit card info out there. If I do, I use the card that is linked to the above account. It all depends on how much business you do on ebay. I would not recommend it for someone who seldom sells or buys.

fordtrucks4ever

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Ditto. I have used Paypal since it first showed up. I have a bank account just for paypal transactions. I did have their credit card, but never really used it. They really prefer to pull money directly from an account tho. If account is insufficient in funds it automatically goes to an alternate source for the remainder of balance. So you have a credit card of your choice for backup. Paypal has saved me from a couple of bad transactions. Just be aware there is a bunch of phishing with bogus Paypal emails going around all the time. A lot of people have fallen for these and given out personal information.

If you dont have a verified account, there is a limited amount of time or transactions you have available. Kind of a try before you buy thing.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yep, is a pain. Use to be so easy and clean.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Hi guys - one thing to keep in mind is that disputing a PayPal transaction is <span style="font-weight: bold">much</span> easier if you paid with a credit card than a bank account. When I check out I have to manually tell it to use a credit card that I have on record there.

If you are buying used parts or dealing with a vendor you haven't worked with before I'd really urge you to consider using a linked credit card. Doing so saved me over $200 last year when two vendors flaked.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
I've had PayPal tied to my bank account for years and years, no problem very easy no worries. Don't blame anyone for not wanting to do it though.

bugimike

Yoda
I too have had no problems with Paypal, and also have an account with a minimum balance in it just for use with them but have had no problems with it either. I have also had them save my butt over a couple of bad transactions! One has to be a bit patient with their resolution process, but they did come through for me!! I have also reported some of those phishing emails I have received to them and they were most appreciative. They have a dedicated link for doing that, and as far as I know they do go after the perpetrators!

nomad

Yoda
Well I'm mad as H over this new policy. My bank account is my business account and I don't want to fool with a separate account. I'm not putting my account numbers out in cyberspace. My bank probably already does but that liability is on there head's. Nothing wrong with my old credit card, it worked fine with them for years. Now I am paying with check's or MO's and buying far less. PI**ED OFF!!!!
KA.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
I'm with Jack, no way am I going to give paypal my bank account info. They have my credit card number and them only. If they have stopped with the credit card then I am done with them and ebay I suspect(because they own paypal and have went pretty much paypal only). With a credit card you can dispute a transaction. Does anybody have a link for this?

dklawson

Yoda
I have not seen any change with PayPal but my last purchase through them was on February 10th. Has a change occurred in the past two weeks?

For a year or longer I have been getting a screen on login where PayPal has asked that I consider becoming "verified" and linking a bank account. I've had no problem hitting whatever link there was on that page to bypass the account change and proceed to make "normal" payments linked to my credit card. Is this gone now?

rlwhitetr3b

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
From what I've seen, PayPal has been asking for you to link it to you bank account for over a year. I'm not about to do that, I feel I'm exposed enough. If you tell it to, it will use your credit card. It does take a few clicks to do it.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I got a seperate checking account.Not much money in it-
(like I have a lot of that).I don't like it,but it makes
buying/selling easier.
Now try getting ahold of a "real" person @eBay if
you have a problem.

- Doug

jvandyke said:
I've had PayPal tied to my bank account for years and years, no problem very easy no worries. Don't blame anyone for not wanting to do it though.

Same here, I probably process $10K thru Paypal a year, hey it's the husband's unknown slush fund, you gotta take Paypal these days :smile:

nomad

Yoda
Yes Hap, I will have to set up a separate account and manage it eventually. It just makes me mad that I have to. As to the guys that have'nt had to yet----YOU WILL! They will inform you that you have reached a magic number where the way you have been doing things won't work any more. Link your bank account or get there credit card. Course I don't quallify for there credit card though my credit is perfect for any other credit card company. JERK'S!!! I have one bank account and one credit card and that is all I need or want. This company seriously needs competition. They change things not to improve them but justify there bloated staff and whats up with there RIDICULOUS shipping calculator.
MAD!

Kurt.

dklawson

Yoda
nomad said:
As to the guys that haven't had to yet----YOU WILL! They will inform you that you have reached a magic number where the way you have been doing things won't work any more.

I signed up for PayPal about a decade ago. Oddly enough... it was to buy a used car part online but not through eBay. At that time the "free account" limit was something like $1000. Once you passed that number you had to link a bank account. Sometime after that (and probably buried in one of those change of service emails I never read) they increased that limit to something much higher. While I may eventually reach the magic number... maybe by then they'll raise the bar again.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I first used paypal about 10 years ago and have used it many times since. I originally set up a separate bank account with $100 balance. I don't use it for anything and with no transactions, the bank does not charge any fees. I figure if someone manages to break into that account I'm out at most $100. I think that risk is worth it for the convenience provided. I use my credit card for every paypal transaction and always have. True, they select your bank account for payment by default but there is always a place to check to change that to your credit card.

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Just made an eBay purchase using PayPal. Used my American Express as always with no issue. I can't see any differences.

OP
jlaird

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
It is not when you make a purchase form eBay it is when you try to send funds to an email.