• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

GPS in a Pos ground Healey?

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
OK, I admit it. I have GPS in my other car and I'm hooked!
I want it in my Healey, and I want it now! (Yes, I let my inner child out all the time)

I know I can convert my car to neg. But I kind of want to keep it pos. Make up ye mind man.

Here is a link to a Pos DC to Neg DC product by Astron.
They make two units that may work?
1212 and 1212-18

https://www.astroncorp.com/dcdc.shtml

Would one of them work for me?

Portable GPS requires a cigarette adapter. Get one from Radio Shack and wire that out of the Astron.

Too good to be true?
Roger

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior
AUSMHLY,
You planning on getting lost?
Randy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Country flag
People used to wire -grnd radios into +grnd cars all the time; the radio cases were metal, so they just had to be isolated from the chassis of the car (think wood). Nowadays, with nearly everything being made of (non-conductive) plastic, I'd think it would be pretty easy to do. Just wire a hidden (under the dash) cigarette lighter recepticle reverse ploarity and you'll be set (center of pin to chassis and case__isloated from chassis__to the fuse block).

bighly

Jedi Knight
Randy,

Go negative. It is really an easy conversion. Plenty of threads on this subject.

Country flag
Since driving a Healey is always an adventure, and getting lost is just part of it. You'll see more of the country and get to spend more time driving. Where is the problem? Thats why guys don't ask directions.

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
AUSMHLY,
You planning on getting lost?
Randy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Presently the only place I'm not lost is under the hood of your car. Smarty pants. Otherwise, yes, I plan on getting lost a lot. I do plan on driving this car everywhere. Like I said, once you have nav, there no going back to maps.

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Randy,

Go negative. It is really an easy conversion. Plenty of threads on this subject.

[/ QUOTE ]

Randy's car is already neg.
I'd like to keep my car pos if possible.

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Just wire a hidden (under the dash) cigarette lighter recepticle reverse ploarity and you'll be set (center of pin to chassis and case__isloated from chassis__to the fuse block).

[/ QUOTE ]
I like that idea. A cigarette adapter hidden under the dash. The GPS unit gets suction cupped to the windshield. Simply plugs in under the dash. Perfect.

Really that simple?

Isolate the bracket that holds the cig adaptor with rubber or similar fashion so that it does not ground.

The GPS's center pin which is positive, would be connected to center pin of the cigarette lighter, which now becomes a positive ground.

The GPS's outside two pins which are negative, would be making contact with the inside of the cigarette adaptor which is now positive, going to the fuse block. Connected to a fuse?

Is that correct?

I'm not sure I understand. Seems the Negative for the GPS will see positive, being attached to a fuse ?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Nope will not work if as you defined. Quit playing games that can damage the electrical sytem of the car. Either get the Inverter and use it or convert the car to Negative Ground.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just wire a hidden (under the dash) cigarette lighter recepticle reverse ploarity and you'll be set (center of pin to chassis and case__isloated from chassis__to the fuse block).

[/ QUOTE ]
I like that idea. A cigarette adapter hidden under the dash. The GPS unit gets suction cupped to the windshield. Simply plugs in under the dash. Perfect.

Really that simple?

Isolate the bracket that holds the cig adaptor with rubber or similar fashion so that it does not ground.

The GPS's center pin which is positive, would be connected to center pin of the cigarette lighter, which now becomes a positive ground.

The GPS's outside two pins which are negative, would be making contact with the inside of the cigarette adaptor which is now positive, going to the fuse block. Connected to a fuse?

Is that correct?

I'm not sure I understand. Seems the Negative for the GPS will see positive, being attached to a fuse ?

[/ QUOTE ]
See (crude) sketch...

Attachments

• 281895-untitled.JPG
    281895-untitled.JPG
    15.5 KB · Views: 120
OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Thank you for the sketch. Seems simple enough.
Radio shack sells a kit for a cigarette lighter. I has a plastic bracket, just like the one in your attachment. That will isolate the unit.

I would like to put an inline fuse before splicing into the fuse box.

What size fuse is being used at the fuse box?
Where should I attach at the fuse box?
What size fuse should I put inline?

Have you done this to your car, or know of a car this was done to?
Or is this a, this should work exersize?

Thank you Randy.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hey Roger,
If you want to play with the GPS while the ignition is off, plug your new wire in with the brown wire on your fuse block (always hot). The white wires are switched on with the ignition. Check your GPS owners manual for fuse recommendations, but I think 5 amps would be more than enough.

bighly

Jedi Knight
As soon as you began to decide to add all these electronics you will soon realize your generator will not keep up. You are going to run out of things to do to the car and you will want driving lights, a stereo, a GPS. Then you will say hey list "how do I add an alternator?". The response will be, first convert to negative ground. Then add an alternator. Humm....................

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
TH, I have looked into the hand held and car units. Some car units have built in batteries. Seems the most you will get is 4-8 hrs. And those hour are for stand by, when you read the small print. Stand by? I would have to bring a house charger with me, for the cig lighter charger will be useless. Units, dead. I need to find an AC outlet to charge it up. How long does it need to charge up. Too much drama.

Bighly, I hear ya. No driving lights or stereo for me. Stereo? Who hears it when the car is being driven? Just keep it simple for me, GPS.

You did bring up a question I did not think of. Will the GPS pull to much electricy. Two concerns. Driving at night, headlights not as bright? Or battery not charging enough, with or without using headlights. Anyone?

Thanks guys, Roger

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Roger,
With my 64 BJ8, still pos ground, and equipped with an AM-FM, CD player that I use frequently, the battery seems to have no problem holding its charge. I purchased the car in May, 2003 and the battery in the car was about two years old then. I just replaced it this summer with an Optima. The old battery was/is still good. I just wanted an Optima. Anyway, my original generator seems to be working fine for my needs. That said I do not drive the car a great deal at night when the headlights are required. I believe the current draw from the GPS system would be minimal and would not need a fuse larger than 5 amp.
Whether or not it is desireable to change to neg ground and go with an alternator would depend IMO on how much night driving you intend to do and what additional electrical loads you might add, i.e. fog lights, additional brake lights, CD player with a high powered amp, etc.

Ed_K

Jedi Knight
Another option for the GPS or any other electrical device that has an insulated outer case that you may want to use in either a positive or negative ground car is to build a rectifier circut out of four diodes into the power cable of the device. This would allow it to be used in any car no matter what the polarity of the ground. If I remember right, early radar detectors use to have a rectifier circut in line with the power input to prevent damage and allow it to be used in any car. You may also want to double check the tech specs of the GPS just in case it has similar protection built in. If you opt for the plastic cigarette lighter socket, never plug in any of those flexable metal neck lights. If the neck ever touches ground, out comes the lucas smoke.
Here is a link about bridge rectifiers;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode_bridge

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Come on guys, if it is in a plastic insulated case and attaches to glass just direct wire it to the battery. Use a fuse etc of course. Hide your wires and all that stuff and use quick disconnects and so forth.