• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

GPS

Country flag
I believe Roger (ASUMHLY)put in a GPS. Then changed to neg ground??? Am I right Roger?
In planning for the San Diego meet I got a GPS but have no lighter on board to power it. I am neg ground and I would like to know how and where I can hook up a hidden lighter. Any one have any suggestion on a BJ8 with wood dash?
TH

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
TH,
Don't forget that all you need is a two prong connector, not necessarily a "lighter" adapter. On many occasions I've simply cut the lighter male plug off an appliance, put the corresponding male plug of the connector of my choice(always put the female side where the power comes from and make sure the pins are not exposed)on the appliance, and then just run a wire to where you want to plug in your GPS. It is way easier to run a wire as opposed to mounting a lighter plug. There are plenty of crimp-on or solder-on small 2 pin plastic connectors in the automotive stores. For my iPod, I just tuck the wire under the armrest pad and the ipod in my pocket when I get out of the car.

OP
tahoe healey
Country flag
Thanks but I normally will use the GPS in the Cayanne powered through the lighter so I want it interchangable. I could probably get another cord from the GPS and use it to the conection as you state. I assume there are only two hot wires in the plug, the GPS to lighter. Not a bad idea.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi TH,
Probably (maybe, possibly) the most convenient power source would be the brown wire for the radio seen here in the photo. Always hot.

Attachments

• 10291.jpg
    10291.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 217

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hello TH,

Right you are, and right you are.

Purchased this product from Radio Shack:

12VDC Car Power Accessory Outlet
Model: 270-1556 | Catalog #: 270-1556

https://www.radioshack.com/product/index....rentPage=family

Very simple installation. Hey I did it, right?

Negative car, black wire to ground, red wire to ignition wire. Why ignition wire? GPS will turn off when I turn the car off. (I sometimes...alright, most of the time, forget to turn the dash/headlights off at night, when I remove the key). As I'm walking back to my car, look, some idiot left his lights on. Hey, wait a minute....

I screwed mine under the dash, drivers side. To the metal top that is under the wood dash top. Completely out of sight. I keep mine hard wired, for my GPS is permanently installed behind my speaker grill.

There are many places you can mount it, for ease of access.

Some where under the dash.
Behind the center consul. Just reach around and plug it in.
Be creative and mount it faceing forward, behind the speaker grill or radio blanking plate if they are not being used. Use magnets to hold the speaker grill or blanking plate in place if you go that route.

I love the James Bond gadgets.
Everything I install in my car is hidden, but easy to get to. Example:
Rather than paging though the touch screen on my Garmin GPS/MP3 player to raise or lower the volume, I spliced in a volume control. (Spice was done in the wire that goes from the unit to the computer speakers). Sometimes old school is easyer. A simple rotating knob. Wanna see where I installed it?

Good luck with your power outlet installation TH.
Happy Motoring!
Roger

OP
tahoe healey
Country flag
Thanks all. It was very easy with the unit Roger mentioned from Radio Shack ($6.00)And the use of the brown wire GregW suggested. There were two screw at the back of the glove box (BJ8)that were the exact distance for the bracket. It hangs down out of sight in the foot well. Very cool and cheap. Now if the windshield was a little bigger I could put the Tom-Tom on the on the glass. It was free in a contest I entered so I'm really stoked to only pay 6 buck to install. This will be a big help going to San Diego and other Healey rides. How did we ever survive with out this technology.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Your entire set up was only 6 bucks? That's just wrong. What's your address, I'm sending you a bill for my suggestion and link to RS. Greg will be sending his bill too, once he reads about all that mad money your spending.

I agree about GPS. There's no going back once you have one. Hence my Healey brother why we have GPS's in our Healey's. And if you feel you have not totally gone over to the dark side....install a coffee cup holder...or two! How many people have told me.... What, a coffee cup holder in a sports car, that wrong. Yes, I'm a baaaad boy!

Happy motoring!
Roger

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Naaaw, no bill. But TH can send me the GPS for what he paid for it. I'll even pay postage. I know, what a sport. :smirk: