• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

GPS Speedometer

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I'm contemplating installing a GPS speedometer. I've already got a Toyota 5 speed, 3.54:1 ring and pinion and non original wheels and tires. I guess it's in for a penny, in for a pound. Needless to say my speedometer doesn't come close to being accurate any longer.

I know I can easily measure the speedometer cable turns made over a mile and send the unit in to a shop that does Smiths gauges to have the gearing changed, but I find that the longer I have my car, the more willing I am to install easily reversible upgrades like this. There are many digital speedometers out there now and some look like they would fit in without looking like it came from the space shuttle. Has anyone done this or have experience with any brands or models and what has your experience been?

They seem to range in price from less than $70 to over $400. I certainly don't need the multitude of functions that some have, but have no problem if the unit polishes my boots as I drive. A total miles driven and trip odometer are all I need. I have lots of GPS experience and putting a small antenna near the windshield is not a worry. Thanks.

Country flag
Since you are not a slave to originality, why not install a Garman GPS on the dash or a mount for your cell phone. You would have to go to neg ground but then you can install a cell phone port as well.

OP
roscoe

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
For practical purposes that'd be fine. If Garmin made a round unit that would fill the speedometer spot I'd be looking at it.

Guido36

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Since you are not someone who wishes to preserve a classic British sports car driving experience a slave to originality, why not install a Garman GPS ...

FIFY

ps. It's 'Garmin'

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
This might solve your problem….

I didn't see an adapter cable for a Smiths.

OP
roscoe

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
The speedhut speedbox is a clever and well executed idea. If I was unable to re-gear an original speedometer but wanted to keep it it would be a great alternative. What I was really hoping was that someone had found a reasoably priced GPS speedometer unit that worked. I would not care if it took a couple of minutes to lock on to the necessary satellites. I just want something that doesn't look too out of place and fits the hole. It seems like it would be simpler to just do away with the cable and have a self contained unit. I'll keep looking for now. Thanks for the replies.

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
We have a Garmin secured by magnets under the dash to the heater box in our BJ7, primarily to provide an accurate speed. the only difficulty is that it's sometimes difficult to read if the sun is at the wrong angle. The magnets are glued to the standard 'stalk' base mount that came with the Garmin. We power it off a 12 volt connection mounted to the piece of wood behind the dash that secures the grab handle. the car is still in storage but I'll have a quick look for photos. Doug

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Not a great shot, but hopefully helpful

Attachments

• DSC00590 Healey GPS.jpg
    DSC00590 Healey GPS.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 105

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
I also use a garmin for accurate speed indicator. I just use the suction cup mounting on the upper windshield. I have an alternator an two accessory plugs mounted to the underside of the parcel shelf. We can plug in phones and iPads as well as the gps. ( sometimes I even use the gps for navigation, 😁). I will look for a pic.