• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Speedhut GPS Speedometers

dklawson

Yoda
If I remember correctly, a couple of Spridget owners have purchased Speedhut GPS speedometers.

Would those of you who have the Speedhut speedometers comment on how long it takes the unit to acquire satellites when you start the car? Is it instant, 1 minute, 5 minutes, longer?

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
By the time I can get backed out of the driveway it is working. There is an option IIRC that keep power to it so it remembers where it was and that allows it to receive a signal faster. I think that’s right and i’m Not making that up. I installed antenna on top of the dash and it works well. Got some sort of bad ground on L turn signal that acts a little flaky sometimes but other than than, a new harness on order that will fix a number of other wiring issues. Along with an alternator on my new engine.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
So is that good news, bad news, or you haven't bought one yet. I added Turn Signals and High Beam Indicator to mine. And matching tach works correctly now after a bad case of RTFM Errors.

OP
dklawson

dklawson

Yoda
I am actually considering a less expensive, portable option for my Mini which has a KPH speedometer that I want to retain. My concern was how long it would take gps speedometers to acquire satellites.

Our Garmin is pretty quick getting itself going. The reviews I have read for some portable GPS speedos state that it can take several minutes for them to start displaying road speed.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
If you want to keep your original speedo, take a look at Classic Speed: https://www.classicautoinnovations.com/classic It uses an original cable to hook up to the back of your speedo. It's what I used to connect the Ford T5 to my Healey speedo and it works great. Picks up the signal before I back out of the driveway.

Elva150

Freshman Member
Country flag
Had Speedhut do speedo/tach in my Lotus 11 clone...Planned to use Midget gauges but too big to fit in space.... wanted faces to be in harmony with other Smith gauges, so they did special faces for me.. Look came close to Smiths: 2 digit numbers, white on black, and orange/red zones... wasn't much extra (30-35 bucks?)

Has worked very well over last 3 years. Takes a few seconds to aquire signal (moving helps), but sure beats cables, gears, and other issues to install. (Used B210 Rivergate 5spd, another reason)

Bob L.

Attachments

• Copy of DSCN2175.jpg
    Copy of DSCN2175.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 68