• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Got buzzed by a new Ferrari...Why?

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
So yesterday I'm test driving the 6 after installing the Falcon Sport exhaust. My 3-1/2 year old son is with me; he absolutely loves riding in that car. I look into the rear view mirror and I spy a red Ferrari 360 (I think) coming up pretty fast. I'm driving the speed limit (40mph) but I keep my eye on the car as its flying up on me, mainly because I just like Ferrari's. When the 360 pulls behind me the driver quickly shoots over into the next lane and pulls beside me.. he looks late 40's with long hair and dark sunglasses. He looks over at me and promptly downshifts and nails it.... making that sweet sound that only Ferrari's at full throttle can make. But I could only think "Why did that @ss do that? Did he have something to prove to my 30+ year old car making less than 150 horsepower?" It just amazes me sometimes the strange things people do. Just goes to show, money can't buy class.

I did get a small amount of revenge on him. About a mile up the road, he was in the center turn lane attemping a left turn. When I got up to him I downshifted into second and buzzed by him at full throttle, I had to hear what the new pipes sounded like after all.... Yeah I can be a redneck too.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

achtungeveryone

Jedi Hopeful
Shannon, atleast you were buzzed by a Ferrari. My luck always seems to be getting buzzed by neons and corollas. Nice these guys are real winners...

Achtung

Paul Johnson

Jedi Warrior
He must have been the evil twin brother of the Modena driver who rolled down his window at a red light and commented on how nice my car was. I offered to trade, but he only grinned.

jayhawk

Jedi Warrior
I'd consider it a compliment! He likes your car and wanted to make sure you noticed his (in its Ferrari go-fast mode). I like it when guys showcase their cars around my triumph and like it when guys with new factory sports-luxo cars give me a thumbs up in my driver TR.
Pete

OP
LastDeadLast

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Pete,

Strangely enough, I do consider it a compliment, but I'm not really sure why. I suppose the very fact of giving attention is a compliment in it's own way. Still he didn't have to have the pretentious look on his face.

The best part of all is when my son started yelling "WEEEEEE!" when I downshifted. I've corrupted him BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

gsalt57tr3

Jedi Warrior
A guy in a cobra at a red light asked if I wanted to race for pinks.

I told him sure, but I get to disconnect 4 of his spark plugs, my choice which four.

I took it as a compliment.

OP
LastDeadLast

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I told him sure, but I get to disconnect 4 of his spark plugs, my choice which four.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well at that point it would have been an even race 4 cyl against 4 cyl right? Sounds fair to me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I get these young kiddies in their Honda's and such that think my TR7 is somthing it is not. I just watch their license plates pull away and let them have their thrill. But.. When a later model rubber bumper MGB came up beside me on the highway the other day after a slow down, as the trafic opened up we thought we would have some fun. He kept up fine with me for a little while, but when we hit 90 kpm (60ish mph) and I threw it in 5th gear, he knew he was beat.
OOOOHHH, I love my 5th gear.
I guess that is what the kids enjoy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF

Paul

Dugger

I have to agree that the 'Fast & Furious' crowd always seem to want to find out what my 34 year old car will do. My technique with dealing with such individuals always makes me laugh. I always confirm the "lets get it" look. I rev the engine a couple of times, inch/jump the car and when the light changes, and then take off like normal. More than a few times, this antic po'd the other fellow and I'd get the one finger salute. I just laughed really loud.

My wife thinks I am nuts, but thats okay, because you have to be a little nuts just to own/maintain these loveable little cars.

DART

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I play the same game, but do a little more revving at the light to let them know what kind of bad boy V they are dealing with. Then do the normal start. Let's face it, 3 ton SUV's today have a faster 1/4 mile time than almost anything Brit from the 60's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
OH I am relieved to hear that Dart cus that "bad boy V" has a nasty habit of blowing its bonnet at speed and when it hits the windscreen it breaks to bits.---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

jeff3113

Jedi Hopeful
One time a few months back I did have some teenage driver in his bright yellow Honda S2000 tailgating me while in my TR-quite obnoxously. One of those times when they are just being an @$$. After about a mile, we both made a right hand turn to merge onto a 4 lane road. He thought it would be cute to do the old punch-it and pass me. Well, it was time to use up some fossil fuel in the old V8.....
Last I saw of him was in my rear view mirror! It sounded like he was pushing over 7000rpm. I did find myself laughing out loud as he sped off the first ramp. It did take a minute to get back to being 45 years old again...
It is amazing the performance technology on the road.

IMHO, I also find it amazing that some kids will spend $10k on their little cars with nitrous kits, engine mods and 2000 watt stereos - yet still be living at home....My folks would have kicked my butt out on the street had I bought ANYTHING more than repair parts for my first wheels.

I find that folks will ask what type of car I have and make encouraging comments - with a friendly demeanor. I also find alot of us convertible drivers wave to each other.

Enjoy the journey!

Jeff

D

Deleted member 451

A young man in a parking lot asked me if my TR3 was fast. The look on his face said it all as I told him it was almost as fast as the slowest thing built today.

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonod.gifThat reminds me of one time I was on my way home from work in my commuter/beater Kia Rio. It does have a big tach in it and wheels, but it's still a commuter. Anyhoo, I had some jack-@$$ in a Z-28 doing the same thing. I just looked over at him and gave him the ol' five-knuckle-chuckle salute, and let him go on his merry way. I mean, after all, my Mustang was in Hot Rod that month... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Don't assume that all of these ricers are fast. I really wizzed off a kid when I beat his Honda Civic with my Jeep Wrangler. Twice!

While I love Italian food, I'm not a fan of Italian cars.:smile:

ROADSTR6

Jedi Trainee
My TR6 got beat (barely) by a friend in his '97 Honda Civic EX. He couldn't believe he beat me as much time as I spend wrenching on my car and as quick as it looks. I couldn't believe I kept up with him as well as I did. As for the Ferrari braap, I'd take it as a compliment if I were in my TR6 and smile and wave. If I were in my modded 5.0 mustang, I'd assume he wanted to play and we'd play. He'd probably win, but oh how I'd LOVE to embarrass a Ferrari in my stang! The way I see it, when a Ferrari rolls up on you, he's got everything to lose and you've got nothing to lose. It's hard to cry too much over being beat by a Ferrari. Imagine his feelings when he gets walked by a car that costs about $60,000 less than his!

swift6

Yoda
Hi guys, first post on this forum though I'm fairly regular on the 6-pack list.

First off, it doesn't take much to pep up the TR6. Mine is making about 150 at the flywheel. It has suprised quite a few newer cars. The power to weight ratio can be quite an advantage.

Getting acknowledged by a Ferrari should be taken as a compliment. I'm glad you did take it as such.

Most of the jazzed up Hondas in my area are dressed up economy models. The larger exhaust, wings and body kits actually slow them down. You could beat most of them with a stock version of their same car.

How do you lik your new Exhaust Shannon? Personally I'm a big fan of the Falcon Twins Sports system.

OP
LastDeadLast

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Shawn,

I've got the headers with the sport exhaust. I gotta say it was a major pain to install. The exhaust doesn't come with a center transmission mount like the stock exhaust does, so I had to fabricate a mount to fit. I also bought some full-circle clamps from Advanced Performance Technology so I wouldn't have to use the standard exhaust clamps that crimp the ends. After all that, and spending two days getting everything lined up... I think its great.

I took a trip up to Dave Crane's in Hendersonville, NC yesterday. He gave me a two hour lesson on carb tuning. With the triple carbs, cam, headers, and sport exhaust I think it sounds as mean as any Ferrari out there. And after the tune up it really runs strong now. It's faster than my SVT Focus (175hp)as least until 60. After that, the higher gearing in the Focus starts to rule.

After the four hour round trip to Dave's Place, the mufflers (if you can call a straight through pipe with baffles a muffler) started crackling on deceleration.. YES!!!! It sounds great!!!

OP
LastDeadLast

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Shawn,

I went to your web page.. we've both got pretty close setups, except I'm running 10:1 cr and a lightened flywheel with the GP2 cam instead of the Gp3 like you have. How do you like GP3? I came very close to getting that one, but at the last minute opted for the slightly higher torque of the GP2.

swift6

Yoda
The GP2 should have a smoother idle than the GP3. It also feels like the GP3 has less at lower rpm but when it comes on it's pretty nice. Quite a difference at 2000 rpm. I'm thinking of fitting an aluminium flywheel next time the trans comes out. Although it already rev's pretty freely and quickly as my flywheel is lightened, but not a huge amount.

Yes, the headers and the twin sport system are a tight fit. I was happy I had a gear reduction starter. It's smaller size makes the fit a bit easier. I also had to fabricate a center mount to stabilize and support the exhaust.

The sound is nice isn't it.

I stayed with an Audi TT quattro (225hp) until 70 and we had to slow for traffic. If the road would have been clear he would have walked away by 80. Those things weigh 3500 pounds though so there's that power to weight ratio. Got a big thumbs up from that guy which was pretty cool.

Have fun with it.