• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Anyone got a 100 being transported?

simon1966

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I was driving out of town this Easter Sunday afternoon and spotted this 100 on a transporter. Location is Troy Illinois, just off the intersection of I55 and I70 so it could be going North, South, East or West!

17991326_10207083672724321_1834072463357490963_o.jpg

55modified

That baby should be in an enclosed trailer. I have never shipped a soft top car on an open carrier.

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
The only difference between driving with the top up or down is that people don't think you are getting wet if you have the top up so they don't point and laugh. I like the way the ratchet strap appears hooked on top of the soft top or the windshield pillar, maybe to ensure that the latches don't pop and the top would catch air. I wonder if the owner supervised the loading?

OP
simon1966

simon1966

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
That is funny Jon! I was so excited to spot the car, from quite a distance away I might add :encouragement:, that it did not cross my mind as to the downsides to this shipment.

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
this one is on the way to california from south carolina.....not on this truck. it was to grouped with other cars on a larger transport!

Attachments

• IMG_8265.jpg
    IMG_8265.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 160
Country flag
That baby should be in an enclosed trailer. I have never shipped a soft top car on an open carrier.
Meh, depends on the circumstances...

When the Healey was freshly painted and shipped from Tsikuris' shop in Florida to Ohio, it was enclosed via PassPort Transportation. Cost was between $1200.00-$1300.00 one-way. Considering it was an open car, NO SOFT TOP, and the prevailing conditions, I felt justified (that's the PassPort driver @ extreme right, and a neighbor couple offering their help).

bn6-942_m-rdstr1.JPG

When we moved to Florida some eight (>8) years later, it was clear skies all the way. One-way on an open carrier was $500.00 (per car, so 2 cars were moved at less than half the cost).

The Healey & black car were loaded up on a Monday, and unloaded (from the same positions) Friday.

IMG_5673.jpg

I not only supervised loading/unloading, I drove it onto the carrier.

IMG_5662.jpg

The M Rdstr underneath is mine too, and didn't have as much oil on it as I expected!

Even my queen, the gray car was transported south via open carrier. Enclosed transport is nice, but in my opinion, not always necessary.

IMG_1990.jpg

Don't get too excited , most of them won't hold water . It will just drain out.
Indeed, I've even added holes to MGBs and Healeys that didn't have any courtesy of the factory or rust!

The only difference between driving with the top up or down is that people don't think you are getting wet if you have the top up so they don't point and laugh. I like the way the ratchet strap appears hooked on top of the soft top or the windshield pillar, maybe to ensure that the latches don't pop and the top would catch air. I wonder if the owner supervised the loading?
I've been saying exactly that for over four (>4) decades, lol!