• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

front disc brakes conversion for 100-4

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey all,
Anyone know of a conversion kit available for a BN2 100-4 ? Think I have seen one offered but cannot recall where or more important how much?
Thanks,
Mike

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
Check the web. AH spares has one. Dennis Welch also, I'll bet many of our members have done this with photos to boot...

OP
bighealeysource

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks Y'all ! Knew I had seen this somewhere and this is the exact info I needed. Going over my entire braking system this weekend and was looking for options if everything checks out okay. My BN6 had a servo along with the standard brakes and always felt real comfortable with its brakes.
REgards,
Mike

OP
bighealeysource

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Meant to ask, it would seem that Genos2 idea would work, is that correct ? Could I simply install the front disk brake components from a 3000 as opposed to spending about $800 for the system from Denis Welch or others ? Sure there is some expensive reason why it won't work but worth asking.
Thanks,
Mike

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Mike--

I have a 3000 disc setup on my 100--works fine!

Genos2

Jedi Trainee
Mike, it will work & I'm going to convert my '53, but on her I have to change kingpin-axle assemblies!! BN2's that isn't required! cheers Genos2

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I was just reading page 204 of 485 of these AH 100 articles and saw that if you use the front disc brakes from a 3000, you have to use the rear wheel cylinders from a 3000 to have proper brake balance:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]I was recently contacted by a club member for advice on installing disc brakes to his 100/6. This is
a rather straightforward exercise, as the later 3000 series components will literally bolt straight on to
the 100/6 front suspension.
However, two important points should be kept in mind:
1. When replacing the front drum brakes with disc brakes, the 1" diameter rear brake cylinders
MUST also be replaced with the 3/4" dia. brake cylinders as used on the 3000 series. If this
is not done, your brake system will be thrown out of balance, and under emergency braking
situations, particularly on a wet road, your rear wheels will lock up, causing the car to swap
ends with possibly very serious, perhaps even fatal results.[/QUOTE]

OP
bighealeysource

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks for all the additional comments about this swap. I have checked and the cost of a "kit" from either Denis Welch or AH Spares is in the 735 pound range so going that direction would not be cheap. Haven't really looked at maybe trying to get the main parts on a used basis and not sure I would want to with it being my brakes. In the meantime I did find one of the problems with my original brakes on the 100M - the posts on the bottom front brake shoe was not installed correctly so the adjuster did not make contact and as a result you could not adjust them properly. Changed that around by switching from one side to the other and viola, have better braking.
Regards,
Mike

VTHealey

Freshman Member
Does anyone have any experience with a disk brake conversion on the rear of a bj8? I guess the parking brake could be an issue...

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
The parking brake is an issue. I'm still trying to come up with a solution for my BN4.

OTOH, the regular brakes work great. I'm using a Nissan master cylinder which seems to provide good front/rear balance, provides a two-circuit system and installs relatively easily.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
bighealeysource said:
Thanks for all the additional comments about this swap. I have checked and the cost of a "kit" from either Denis Welch or AH Spares is in the 735 pound range so going that direction would not be cheap. Haven't really looked at maybe trying to get the main parts on a used basis and not sure I would want to with it being my brakes. In the meantime I did find one of the problems with my original brakes on the 100M - the posts on the bottom front brake shoe was not installed correctly so the adjuster did not make contact and as a result you could not adjust them properly. Changed that around by switching from one side to the other and viola, have better braking.
Regards,
Mike

The parts you replace with used in the conversion from a later Healey are the various hard metal suspension bits, hangers etc. These parts would be used but newer than what is on the car, and could be magnafluxed if suspect or for your piece of mind.

I assume you and most would go with new or rebuilt calipers, new discs or checked to be in spec, new hoses and pads etc. If you could find the donor parts still much cheaper than it sounds like the kits are, it is all bolt on.

Your money and choice, just eleborating a little on the later healey swap, my 100 had the brakes from an early 3000, worked fine, and of course you can order all the wear parts from the usual suspects when they need to be replaced.

big6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
OTOH, the regular brakes work great. I'm using a Nissan master cylinder which seems to provide good front/rear balance, provides a two-circuit system and installs relatively easily.

John, What specific model Nissan master cylinder are you using?

BobAH100

Freshman Member
Country flag
Mike--

I have a 3000 disc setup on my 100--works fine!

I've converted my early '53 100 to front-disc brakes, using the Denis Welch kit, and retain the stock early 100 rear drums, which are virtually new. The Welch kit usses what are essentially BN/BT7 front calipers. Also used their beefed-up front stub axles, which take BJ8 bearings and distance pieces. Not cheap nor easy to install, but slick.

THE ISSUE: With the standard early 100 master brake cylinder, the front brakes tend to lock up due to too much residual pressure being held against the calipers when the brake pedal is released. We're adjusting the brake-pedal free play and switching from DOT 5 (which was in the car) to DOT 4. Assuming these don't solve the problem, which Nissan master cylinder might work with this setup? I'd heard the old Datsun 510 master might be a candidate. Dual master cylinder setups are another option, but require yet more intensive work and lots more money. Thanks!

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
mike, i just sent you a pm regarding a disc brake setup. thanks, maxwedge5281

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I needed new hubs and wheels (which I got from Moss) and I decided to bite the bullet and get front disc brakes as well and I am very happy with what I got from Dennis Welch. Well, except for the price but I figure I'll recoup that when I'm too old to drive and sell the car:highly_amused:.