• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Fender Mirrors

Raymond

Jedi Hopeful
Hi

well its almost winter here in wisconsin and im looking to do a couple of upgrades before i put Nigel in storage. I was thinking about dual fender mirrors but i cant decide the bullet racing type or the stock type.

also my right side fender has a hole for a mirror but the left doesnt

and since i plan on replacing the fenders over the winter can i get them predrilled?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Most early cars had a mirror on the passenger fender & a door mirror on the driver side...

...don't know of anybody who sells fenders with predrilled mirror holes but we can dril them if you'd like...hehehe

Newkie

Jedi Trainee
I prefer the stock over bullit, but its all personal taste. Maybe with those black wires, it would add a more of a sporty look to them. And, I just had my car painted, so I just took the info from these guys in here and started drilling the holes for my fender mirrors. Havent put the mirrors on yet, but I think it will really add to the appearance.

Newkie

Steve_S

Yoda
To clarify, "early" cars had no mirrors. They were dealer-installed. Mark 2 cars often had the door / fender combo. The bottom line is that you can put them wherever you like. For dual fender mount, most people put them directly over the front hubs. See HERE and HERE.

OP
Raymond

Raymond

Jedi Hopeful
since my right side fender has a mirror hole i can use that as a template.

im going to try and loosen the purse strings from my wife and order some quality used fenders from Tony

1965_MGB

Jedi Warrior
Most that I have seen are centered over the front hubs, as described above. When I was in Japan, most of the cars that I saw there had the mirrors in the same place.

I have been thinking of putting these on my 65, since I noticed that they pretty much eliminate blind spots, unlike the door mirrors.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
& I've got a brand new set of fender mirrors on the shelf!

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Raymond said:
im going to try and loosen the purse strings from my wife and order some quality used fenders from Tony

Raymond, remember to buy her something nice too! It'll make it easer the next time. Some past experience speaking. hehe
happy0148.gif

Shinsen774

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I noticed an MGB ad for sale on ebay from 1964 that has photo of an MGB with a wing mirror on the driver's side (LHD) only, mounted about 6 inches behind the center of the front wheel.

ronzi

Steve_S said:
To clarify, "early" cars had no mirrors. They were dealer-installed.

While I'm sure many fender mirrors on early cars were installed by dealers, "wing mirrors" were a factory option on early cars. I have the BMIHT "birth certificate" for my '64 B, and it states under "Details of Factory Fitted Equipment" ...

Disc wheels
Heater
Ash tray
One wing mirror
Road Speed Tyres
Folding Hood
Anti-roll bar

How early was "early"? Clausager says "Single or paired wing mirrors were quoted as factory-fitted optional extras until 1965, when in line with revised BMC policy such fripperies became dealer-fit accessories."

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
A couple of thoughts. First and foremost, although I love the look of wing-mounted mirrors and have standard Lucas-type mirros on the wings of my C, they are all but useless! My 250 has a door mounted mirror, and as you would expect, it's much more user-friendly. Not as natty, but far more functional.

My second thought is beware of bullet mirrors. I have door mounted bullet mirrors on my Tiger, and in order to see anything remotely related to the space immediately to the left and right of the vehicle, the portion that swivels is pulled all the way to one side. The result is that the mirror looks a bit odd. I experimented with various places of mounting them to deal with this, and nothing seemed to do the trick.

All that said, I always turn my head to look anyway -- one of the advantages of an open car. Sooo, be forewarned, but then just go with what you think looks the best. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

Steve_S

Yoda
Fender mirrors are far more useful than door mirrors. The problem is that people use mirrors that are too small to be seen that far out.

Modern Lucas-style reproductions are a full inch smaller than the original Lucas units and unfortunately that is what most people are running on early MGBs. The originals were also far better quality, especially the convex type. Modern convex are also curved more in order to make up for their smaller size, but that introduces even more distortion than they already have from their lack of quality.

With the original 5" disc type, you can see clearly in flat or convex. Having the mirrors mounted over the hub spindles completely eliminates blind spots to the point where you technically don't have to turn your head to change lanes. Of course I recommend that everyone does anyway!

19_again

Jedi Warrior
The over the hub location seems far more logical given the vehicle. I bought some "door mounted" TEX mirrors that I would now rather place on the fenders. The pictures of the "GT" that Steve posted really convinced me. But since I always (almost) drive with the top down, I prefer to look around anyways to be sure the monkeys aren't around. I guess there's no wrong way unless you're a purist, and then everything's wrong. But since I've got my windshield mounted mirror, my top down and my ears, the other mirrors become essentialy decorative. The biggest problem with fender mirrors is keeping them aligned. Such is life in the world of totally unneccessary vehicles.

Steve_S

Yoda
The Tex mirrors pictured on my BGT are fender mirrors, not door mirrors. The difference is that the fender mirrors have a different arm, and they are spring-loaded swivel bases. if anyone bumps the mirror, the entire assembly will swing out of the way and then snap back into position automatically.

The trick to keeping Lucas-style mirrors aligned is to tighten the mirror disc snugly but leave the base slightly loose. That way the entire assembly moves if bumped and all you have to do is swing it back. No tricky mirror alignment necessary.

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]but we can dril them if you'd like...hehehe
[/QUOTE]the hardest part is bringing yourself to drill the hole..I'd let Tony drill it as he offers...then you've got somebody else to blame!!!

OP
Raymond

Raymond

Jedi Hopeful
well after a full day of begging. my wife has informed me i am not allowed to buy anything for the Mg until after Christmas /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

i like the fender mirror look and i think the bullet mirrors will fit the overall style of Nigel very well so after the Holidays ill give Tony a shout for some
nice used fenders w holes predrilled and bullet mirrors

thanks everybody

Ray

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Be sure to use a good punch before you drill so the bit doesn't wander about on the new paint, it is pretty easy, if you want symmetrical just measure from a couple reference points, say back from the headlight rim and up from the fenderwell, or whatever close points you have.

Fender vs. Door seems to be something that always stirs a little debate, both about looks and functionality.

I had a B GT with convrx fender mirrors and it was a great set up, flat fender mirrors not so good. The upside to me the fender mirror is not so far out of your line of site.

The downside of the fender mirror, you either need a buddy or trial and error to adjust them and everytime you get under the hood you will most likely knock it out of adjustment.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Ray - I've gotta ask: what's the aversion to drilling a 1/2" or 5/8" hole? You just mark where you want it - punch a little dimple - start with a 1/8" or so bit & work up to the size that's correct for the mounting stud.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Its not like it can't be repaired!

Heck, I'm getting close to whacking the roof out of my '74-1/2 GT to install a Webastos top...measure twice-cut once!