• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 Fender Mirrors

mountainman

Jedi Trainee
I have my Tr3 at the body shop and was wanting to drill the holes for the fender mirrors. All the pictures I have seen have them mounted out almost to the hood dzus fasteners. Is this where they should go? It seems like they would be in the way when you are working in the engine compartment.
Thanks
Greg

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The mirrors were dealer-installed (if at all), so the location varied. Mine are out beyond the Dzus button, roughly in line with the seam between bonnet & apron.

I do find I need to be careful of them (even when just walking around the car), but they aren't particularly in the way otherwise.

Gordon_Dedrick

Jedi Trainee
Mine were mounted about 6 inches further back from the bonnet/nose seam and I broke about 3 or 4 while working on the engine.........anyone need a spare mirror head? After redoing the body I had the original holes filled and have not mounted mine on the newly finished fenders yet but I'm with Randall, the seam "seems" to be the best spot.
Gordon

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Here's another:
IMG_1128.jpg

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I'd suggest putting them as far fwd as looks 'good' to you as it will be out of the way when working...obviously it's a swag as to location anyways

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Aloha,

My mirrors are located about halfway between the bonnet/cowl seam and the bonnet zues fitting. I find that the passenger (right hand) mirror is not of much use because the dash mounted rear view mirror blocks seeing it. It might be helpful to sit in the car and have a helper place the mirror so it can be of use from the drivers seat.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Dosen't matter where on the fender you put 'em.. it's still like trying to shave while looking in a pocket mirror across the room... hehehehe.
Aeriously,Having drivin several TR2-3s, with mirrors mounted in various locals, I agree that they are better up by the fasteners/ Bonnett-apron seam area

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Mine were a little ahead of that. When I got the car, only the holes remained, so I have no idea how well they worked or didn't -or if that's the original location...

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Folks,

To me; They appear to look really good about "Center Line" of the Wheel Well opening. How well they work; Who Cares as long as they give you the "Swept" fast look.

Russ

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Why does any TR driver need them ? With the top down, you can hear all the traffic noise and I have found that I don't need wing mirrors. The car came like that and it's still like that.

Attachments

• 19669.jpg
    19669.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 852

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Both the states of Minnesota and California (where I know the laws) are less civilized than where you live, Don. They have long required a driver's side mirror. Passenger side would be optional on a car as old as a TR3, but not the driver's side.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Moses - Do you mean that an outside mirror law passed in, say 1965, can force TR owners who own older TRs to install them or face a fine. Isn't there some law about "retroactive" not being allowed. Does that mean that all TR owners in some states must have a catalytic converter ?

Maybe some states and/or countries are "free-er" than others.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
All of New York's vehicle laws are not retroactive. The side view mirror law for example, applies only to '68 model year and newer. I don't see how you can require equipment on a car that wasn't originally required when made.

D

DougF

My mirrors are located in a box in the basement. The car was mirror delete when sold, but I have them if needed. As long as there isn't a triaxle or a jacked up 4x4 tailgating, the rearview mirror works fine.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
The body guy welded up the hole when I got the last respray and I decided to try driving w/o the mirror. That was 9 years ago and I really don't miss it. Then again, I almost always drive an open car which promotes awareness of the surrounding traffic.

Oh yeah -- he also welded up the holes for the license plate lamp and the rear 'TRIUMPH' badge. Guess he just didn't like holes in the bodywork.

No idea if new laws can be made retroactive to include older cars, e.g. in AZ if the car did not come with seat belts you are not required to have them... but if you do have them then you are required to use them.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
New laws can certainly be made retroactive; for example you can't drive without license plates just because they were not required when the car was new. But in most cases, existing cars are "grandfathered".

TS13571L did not have the holes for the mirrors when it came to me, and I drove it some that way before deciding to drill the holes. I definitely missed the mirrors.

One place where I really like my wing mirrors is in traffic where the SUV (or semi) behind me is too close to see around otherwise, and I want to change lanes before he gets high on my exhaust and forgets I'm hiding under his front bumper! An old whiplash injury makes it hard for me to crane my neck around to see, but the wing mirrors let me look "around the corner".

YMMV, of course.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
martx-5 said:
All of New York's vehicle laws are not retroactive. The side view mirror law for example, applies only to '68 model year and newer. I don't see how you can require equipment on a car that wasn't originally required when made.
Art, NYS is funny about that. you're right about inspection. For instance, cars older than 65 don't need seat belts of any kind to pass inspection, but I know people that have been ticketed by State Police for not wearing seat belts in thier vintage car. ( I believe you could easily fight it in court).
Pickup trucks too. According to NYS inspection the 3rd brake light on the cab of the truck has to work, blocked or not, but there in nothing about the 3rd light on a cap. Again you can be pulled over if a policeman so wishes.
It's all a bit vague.....

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
My understanding of the seat belt laws in NY are that if your car didn't come with them, you don't need to add them. But, if you install them, then you must use them.