• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Fender Mirrors - install or plug?

wifegonnakillme

Jedi Hopeful
Well the body work is proceeding well (attached - the other side is largely done and is dead straight) - but i was asked the other day if I wanted to keep the fender mirror holes or plug them. I have ordered a flat mirror for the driver's side and a convex for the passenger, but was wondering what folks thought about style and functionality of the mirrors... I tend to think install...
Cheers,
Kerry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF

Attachments

• 142817-Picture0150001car.JPG
    142817-Picture0150001car.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 139

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Put the fender mirrors on. Not very functional, but too cool looking!

Mickey

Adrio

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Kerry,

I have lived without the mirrors since 1985. I know a lot of folks like them and I am sure they are a safety addition. I just like the look without them. In all those years I have only driven with the top on once or twice, and I am sure they would have been nice then. But with the top down there are no blind spots (besides the ones mother nature gave me).

In the end I think like many other things it boils down to what one likes best.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi,

It's purely a matter of personal preference!

I personally like the looks of fender mirrors on TR3/2, but not on TR4 and later. But, that's just my own preferences.

Fender mirrors are pretty vulnerable, and are pretty far away to serve much useful purpose. But, they sure look cool on the early TRs (IMHO).

gsalt57tr3

Jedi Warrior
I just installed the appropriate fender mirrors after a PO had installed square 1970s mirrors. The difference I did though was to get convex mirrors for both sides, as hard as those beggers are to adjust, I figured I would give myself additional fudge factor.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Geez, does that photo bring back memories. My paint & body guy welded up the mirror hole on his own and I just left it like that. My driving is 99.9% top-down where (as noted) it is hard to miss what is around you.

He also thoughtfully welded up the holes in the rear where the TRIUMPH badge goes -- got to drill those anew (nervous work on a new paint job).

For situations where I want a mirror (club drives, intense California freeway traffic, etc) I have fashioned a little 3" convex mirror that snaps onto a lift-the-dot on the cowl. Just a simple bracket with a hole in it, a rubber washer below to tension it and a loose LTD snap on top. This is just a prototype -- works fine but looks funky (back side is duct tape), I will do a more presentable version some slow day.

MVC-761F.JPG

Oh, the windscreen is off and the aeroscreen on is why something seems to be missing in the photo.

PeterK

Yoda
Spring mounted fender mirrors?

Every time we walk around our 3A, we inadventantly bump into the side mirrors. But ours are spring mounted so no damage. Are they all like this? Any source for the round rubber base gasket.grommet? tia. PeterK

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Re: Spring mounted fender mirrors?

Mine was the Lucas model which (I think) was typically not spring-loaded. It used a 'tear-drop' shaped gasket which I would make from inner-tube rubber (always have an old inner tube around). Trace around the base, cut the rubber slightly larger than the base and use a bit of sandpaper to radius the edge of the gasket.

MGTF1250Dave

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Aloha Kerry,

I have fender mirrors on my TR3. I personally like the convex mirrors for both sides, you can see more but the distance is distorted. I'm about 5'6" tall and the passenger side mirror is blocked by the rear view as I sit in the car. In order to use it I need to move my head to the right. As mentioned by others, the mirrors are easily bumped out of adjustment. I think it a question of your preference, I think they look "period correct".

Safety Fast,
Dave

Bugeye58

Yoda
Kerry, I dont have a '3' anymore, but the last one I owned had the fender mounts on it, and I liked them. Two of my Sprites, and my GT6, have fender mirrors, and other than the fact that they can be a pain to adjust, I think they are just fine.
(Side note to Adrio: Some states require a mirror on the drivers side, at least, in conjunction with the center mount mirror.)
Top down, I rely on sound as much as sight. I can hear the 16 year old with the blinged out rice burner coming, and know where to look.
Jeff

G

Over the summer I saw a TR6 with fender mount mirrors, the holes in the doors were welded up and painted over. I don't know if I liked the look or not on that car, but they are way cool looking on a TR3.

jayhawk

Jedi Warrior
When I bought my TR3 the mirrors for some reason were mounted on the hood-- I've since removed them and filled the holes when I did the body work but now still have the task of finding the proper location and mounting the mirrors on the fender. Currently using a little suction cup convex mirror above the left side of the dash.

Geo-- a tribute, my friend to all of your ingenuity-- I'd vote you and your gagetry to be the "most wanted" and most likely to make "baling wire and duct tape" repairs on a cross country LBC trip.

michalotti_tr

Jedi Knight
My '4A also came with fender mounted bullit mirrors, and I'm torn as to whether to remount them on the fenders or move them back to the door. I admit it makes it look 'very British' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif on the fenders, but ...

I've got pictures of '4s with mirrors in both positions, but just can't make up my mind which way I want to go.

gsalt57tr3

Jedi Warrior
Another comment as far as "top down" visibility is concerned.

I have spent years as a cyclist and never used rear veiw mirrors while ridding. Sound, as mentioned above, is as useful as sight with the top down. That and maintaining a swivel neck visual observation of whats going on around you.

The Vanguard I just bought has factory fender mounted mirrors, with the spring loaded feature. Does anyone know a source for these? You can bump them and they don't loose their adjustment.

OP
W

wifegonnakillme

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks to all - gotta say that I was still on the fence when i talked to the body shop - who of course gave the simple and pracical advice - plug 'em and you can redrill later if you want, leave 'em and your stuck with 'em - she'll be in primer tomorrow....
Cheers,
Kerry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thirsty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF

G

Ya'll should check out texautomotive.com for a great site that offer the real deal in LBC mirrors. They are the ones that make them. I bought the mirrors for my TR6 (winged, non-bullet) through them. These are the mirrors that are offered in the UK. (bullet mirrors on a Triumph are useless)

Bill

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
I bought mirrors for my TR3 when I got it...still haven't put them on. I decided to keep the car like the ones in all the advertisements, which don't have mirrors.

Of course, now I have a second 3 which has fender mirrors.

It's totally personal preference. On some days I love the look of the mirrors, and on others I like them without.

So -- like you, I'm on the fence.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
HI gsalt57TR3, I believe you can get that type mirror from XK's Unlimited.--Fwiw---Keoke

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
hey, i hear that side mirrors or any kind were not original from the factory.i am in the process of doing a tr4 and will not put them on. i guess i like the fact that i do not have to and all the new cars must.i like that. i guess i'm a rebel.