• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Evaporative piping placement

BwanaJoe

Freshman Member
Country flag
I am sealing up my 1972 TR6 from timing cover to diff seal. So with everything pulled out of the car I've been checking things over. One of the problem areas I found was a routing problem with the nylon piping from the carbon canister to the tank pipe. It has been melted because it was not snapped to the clips with the fuel pipe. You can see how it should be run by looking on page 19 in the Blue Book (https://trf.zeni.net/TR6bluebook/index.php?zoom=1&page=25). Here are my questions:

1) How does it exit the tank and route to the clips on the frame? The parts manual and my car show the edge finisher in place. I'd assume it should run behind the cross member and then to the chassis rail due to the manual picture and the rail finisher being attached here.

2) In the attached picture, what is the mounting bracket used for where the pipes are currently zip tied? Is it left over from another application? I can't seem to find anything in the parts book that mentions it.

On another note, the nylon piping is no longer from TRF/Moss/etc. I found some 1/4 inch diameter nylon piping for air brakes at O'Reilly's Auto Parts. They can sell it in 1' increments.

Thanks in advance,

Joe B

DSC_6499.jpg

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
OP
BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe

Freshman Member
Country flag
1972 is a strange year for the TR6. It was a change over year in a many ways; idiot lights, emissions, exhaust, wiring, etc. If you look at the fine print in the 72 - 76 page it says the 72 was thrown in there because the evaporative tank was removed but the piping remained the same. This bears out by the way the piping is run at the front/middle of the car, the carbon canister, and the clips that are on the fuel pipe.

Last edited:

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I am sealing up my 1972 TR6 from timing cover to diff seal. So with everything pulled out of the car I've been checking things over. One of the problem areas I found was a routing problem with the nylon piping from the carbon canister to the tank pipe. It has been melted because it was not snapped to the clips with the fuel pipe. You can see how it should be run by looking on page 19 in the Blue Book (https://trf.zeni.net/TR6bluebook/index.php?zoom=1&page=25). Here are my questions:

1) How does it exit the tank and route to the clips on the frame? The parts manual and my car show the edge finisher in place. I'd assume it should run behind the cross member and then to the chassis rail due to the manual picture and the rail finisher being attached here.

2) In the attached picture, what is the mounting bracket used for where the pipes are currently zip tied? Is it left over from another application? I can't seem to find anything in the parts book that mentions it.

On another note, the nylon piping is no longer from TRF/Moss/etc. I found some 1/4 inch diameter nylon piping for air brakes at O'Reilly's Auto Parts. They can sell it in 1' increments.

Thanks in advance,

Joe B

View attachment 31117
(Disclaimer: Coming from non-mechanic, just trying to help.)

Joe: If I have it right, mine are routed in this fashion on my 1974:

photo (2).jpgphoto (3).jpg

It looks as if you have a plug in your tank where I have a pipe. As to your "mounting bracket" question, it looks like a brace to me that somebody thought it good
to Zip Tie to. The pipes drop fairly straight down from the tank, but are attached by rubber hoses and clamps before it gets into our sight in the second picture. They actually do move more to a 45 degree angle utilizing the rubber hoses in order to meet where we see them attached at the rail, then straight forward down the driver's side.

Last edited:
OP
BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thanks for the shot. I have no idea if the piping is routed incorrectly on my car or not. Hard to tell from the catalog. If you look in the old parts books it looks like the later cars routed behind the support as well. Your frame is devoid of the bracket my early 72 car has which really has me curious now.

Anyone with an early 72 or earlier that can snap a shot of that area? I'm still curious if I am missing something on the frame. Or maybe it was a TR5/250 part that was left over.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
This is the way it's originally supposed to be for these years...not that you should feel obligated to make it exactly that way for it to work. The main object is simply to provide ventilation of the gas tank and to allow air to enter and displace the volume of gas as it reduces in volumn. Secondarily to give the fumes a place to get deodorized..in the Carbon Canister.
..https://trf.zeni.net/TR6bluebook/index.php?page=25