• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

White vs black piping

M

Mike_Bouse

i am confused on the correct piping color for a '69 Spitfire, with high boy seats. Some places i look sell ONLY black with white piping, others sell black on black.

the existing seats cannot be salvaged with the vinyl they came with. I must replace the vinyl as well as the foam rubber. the seats are covered with black on black.

the car also came with a convertible boot cover, which is black with white piping.

so if the price is the same, or similar, should i do white or black piping? the car is white, with full black upholstery. helps to get you up to speed quickly if the seats are "piping" hot when you first get in...

PeterK

Yoda
I had an original set of GT6 MK I seats (circa 66 I think) that came in my 4A. They were low back, black with black piping.

IMO the Spitfire looks best with back piping.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Mike,

Just out of curiosity, did you get any prices from local upholstery shops for redoing the seats completely? You might be pleasantly surprised with what you can get from a local compared to the kits and padding from others.

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Mike;

In My Opinion; If you like that "Nastaglic" look; Blk w/White Piping is quite awesome looking (I have that in my `66 TR4A; Orig Look):

Personally; I`m not certain what the Spits had as Orig. I can only guess being High Back seats probably Blk on Blk: They must show a Pic in one of the Orig Spit Books of the Interior somewhere; Would`nt You think:

See Ya;

Regards, Russ

PS: Brosky; Your right about an Upholstery Shop: I got the Face, Sides & Upper of my seat redone (Using existing piping per my request) for $75.00: Can`t beat it and looks Great:

roofman

Jedi Knight
I say black with white piping to match the boot cover, unless 100% originality crucial.

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
Which do you like the looks of best?
i have seen MGs with body-coloured piping, red on a red car, and liked the effect. Also T series MG owners used to paint the slats of the radiator grille body colour or interior colour.
Unless you are picky about originality I would do it the way you like it.
Simon.

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Simon;

Just a passing thought:

On TDs; The Slats were all supposed to be the same color as the Interior: This was Std Orig look:

Regards, Russ

OP
M

Mike_Bouse

Thanks for the input guys. I'm for saving the cash for other much needed items, and my personal taste for what i sit on matters little. So, if the decision were only in my hands, i'll opt for the least expensive choice.

The fact that i rescued this vehicle from a barn is painfully evident every time i sit behind the wheel. mice decided to tunnel a 1 1/2" perfectly circular hole the length of the seat bottom, only under the right cheek. getting the right piping is secondary (to me) to full cheek support. However, what you all think helps determine potential resale value, right?

so, you've had experience with upholsterers less expensive than do-it-yourself kits? my upholsterer says that anytime i can find a kit, it is better than hiring him. is that because he doesn't want my work? should i try another upholsterer?

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Mike_Bouse said:
...However, what you all think helps determine potential resale value, right?....
If all you're looking at is resale, go as cheap as you can. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Seriously, though, nice upholstery (any color) will catch the eye of a buyer...who might then be REALLY PUT OFF as soon as he/she sits in the seat! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Simon;

I agree with Andrew: First off; No matter what you buy; Car, House, Boat etc; I`ve always thought ahead relative to what It may be worth at some point of time relative to Re-Sale: Lets face it; No one keeps something forever these days & I`m one thats notorious for that:

So; Why not make a nice little profit but, of course, Don`t dump a Bunch of $$$ into the project:

Personal Feelings always seem to come into play, but such is life; Try to overlook that part: Sounds like you already have:

Do what "You" think is the right thing to do!!!!!!

See Ya; I`m done;

Regards, Russ