• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Mystery white smoke

M

Member 10617

Here's a mystery.

First. I know that if I see white smoke coming from my exhaust, it is a coolant problem and probably a blown head gasket. Worst case senario.

But here is what I experienced yesterday.

I drove about 15 miles up the road to warm up my engine. I stopped by the side of the road to send a text message and sat there idling for about three minutes. When I drove off, I had two clouds of white smoke from my exhaust. Then it disappeared and did not reappear. I had not seen anythinglike this before. Further down the road I pulled off, idled for about a minute, and drove off with no white smoke.

I reached my desitnation and visited a friend for about an hour. When I started the car to return home, there was no smoke, and no smoke on the way home. In fact, no smoke since then.

I have noticed no change in the level of coolant, upon inspection when the engine cooled.
Anyone have an idea of what may be going on?

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
Sounds a little off the reservation :excitement: However, I would check the color of your spark plugs to see if their is a lean condtion. And continue to monitor your oil, coolant and take a compression test as well.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
what was the content of the text?

OP
M

Member 10617

Many thanks. I have been monitoring the oil and coolant: no perceptive changes there. I had a compression test abour a month ago, and each piston registered 24-25 ft. lb.

I took the car out again today and no smoke. I do think it was a minor problem, although given the right conditions may happen again from time to time.

The condensation in the exhaust system theory shounds likely. Also, one of the carbs may have built up a bit of fuel at the idle and caused two puffs of smoke on acceleration. One friend said: that just what they do from time to time.

As for the text, I took a photo through my windshield of the open road and sent it to my daughter. Beautiful warm day!

Many thanks. I have another question, but will wait so I don't monopolize this great site.

OP
M

Member 10617

Valve guides leaking down from idle.

Thanks Capt. Randy. What I wonder about is that this only happened yesterday, one time, and never happened in erlier rides nor subsequently. If valve guides are leaking down from idle, wouldn't it happen all the time?

And if this is the cause, how seriousis it? Do I need to address it now, or can I just monitor it?

OP
M

Member 10617

Lexington is a great place. Wife is from there. Last son went to VMI. Had a mountain house on Plank Road until 2008 hit and had to sell.

You are right. Lexington and Rockbridge County are great places. Plenty of country roads and, of course, the Blue Ridge Parkway. Once had a farm on Plank Road, retired from VMI. Small world!

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I once sucked crankcase oil through the PCV into the carbs (just a little burp as it were) and MAN does that produce a TON of smoke (more white than blue)... and it lasted for some time, though it eventually burned off.

dklawson

Yoda
I had a compression test abour a month ago, and each piston registered 24-25 ft. lb.

Strange units. That should be in PSI, Bar, or some other pressure unit, not a torque value.

Like Mark, I have had cars where a dollop of oil somehow made it through the PCV valve. It can make a huge cloud of blue/white smoke that doesn't recur.

nomad

Yoda
Strange units. That should be in PSI, Bar, or some other pressure unit, not a torque value.

Like Mark, I have had cars where a dollop of oil somehow made it through the PCV valve. It can make a huge cloud of blue/white smoke that doesn't recur.

Yes, and if PSI then your gauge needs work because with those figures the car wouldn't even start.

Kurt.