• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Dry fitted the HS6 today..

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
So, I dry fitted the HS6 to my manifold today to get a clear idea on how much modding and fabricating I'm going to have to do to employ this puppy in place of the Zenith-Stromburg.

First mod will be notching the ZS Heatshield bracket, because it prevents the throttle from going full open. The choke idle speed adjustment screw butts up against it when attempting to go full throttle.

Next, I'm gonna have to fab up a throttle cable mount point. The HS-6 I have has all the throttle attach points on the left when looking into the throat. That shouldn't be too difficult, IMO. Some aluminum C-channel stock and JBWeld or rivets ought to do the trick there.

Finally, it appears I'm going to have to source a throttle wheel. The throttle wheel from the ZS won't work because it's too large in diameter. The ZS throttle wheel butts up against/interferes with the choke mechanism and the heatshield brackets.

I didn't take any pictures of the initial fitment, but it's a darn sight less cluttered in that area of the engine bay with the ZS + monstrous air filter contraption removed, and the HS6 hanging off that manifold with its round air filter.

I've started hand polishing the dash pot exterior this past week, and got it up to "cloudy mirror" status on the shiny-o-meter in one evening. I figure I can get it up to high polished chrome shininess with another evening of hand polishing. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
erm... I've done some digging (not very deep mind you), and I've noticed that I don't see any 'throttle wheels' on any of the 'complete' SU carbs on eBay... like the auctions that come with the carbs + "all linkages" + manifold; no wheel to attach the throttle cable to.

What's the deal, do SU's just link the throttle cable to a lever hanging of the throttle shaft?

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
YES

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
Well, that affects me in two ways then. 1) finding a throttle wheel will be like trying to find hen's teeth, and 2) I won't have to find a wheel, and I can just fab up a lever to get the job done /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

End result: no parts sourcing necessary. I only have to do some parts modifications and fabrications to bring my B to salvation! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That'd be my method as well. Since I no longer have an HS^ lyin' about, what's the diameter of the shaft? I'm wondering if it's the same as the 4's.

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
ehhhh ... uhmmmm ... "stock" size? heh

I'm not sure. I'll have to rough guestimate it with a tape measure and an eye ball when I get home later. Ain't got a mic for precision measurements.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Set of dividers an' a gradumecated stick in 1/16" divisions? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
compass and a ruler? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Yup-yup. It'll give you a fair assessment as the shaft is likely to be some "standard" size: 5/16" (0.3125"). for HS4's.

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
very well, carry on!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Aye, Sir!

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif

Howzat? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
lol

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
not yet. I should have the air filter that I ordered either today or tomorrow. I'll take pics of the carb & air filter when I get it.

Then I'll be sure to take handy dandy step by step pics of the installation process.

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
it was Christmas again when I got home tonight!

I'll get more pics this weekend while I'm strapping the HS6 and this filter to the car /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Here's the air filter that I ordered from SU-Filters.com

5407-filter.jpg

Attachments

• 5407-filter.jpg
    5407-filter.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 61

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
CLASSY!!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
DrEntropy said:
That'd be my method as well. Since I no longer have an HS^ lyin' about, what's the diameter of the shaft? I'm wondering if it's the same as the 4's.

Doc - my best eyeball guestimation with a measuring device says it's 5/16" dia.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Most likely accurate. There are TONS of lever devices you can just clamp to it for linkage. The niggling bit will be the angle the cable has on it exiting the sheath so's not to "saw" thru the ferrule and jamb. You're into "Field Engineering" now.
A resourceful Marine will adapt, overcome. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

OP
Nunyas

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
heheh...

I'm good at ... "rigging", or as my friend called it the other day while I was working on my B, "Performance modifications" /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I'm gonna have to find me a motorcycle shop for some filter oil, or is motor oil fine?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Whatever is in the crankcase will work in the carb. You can experiment with other stuff, but it isn't really much of a difference, IMO.