• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB-GT Draining and Pulling Tank on '74 GT - Advice?

BoneIdle

Jedi Trainee
I'm going to try to do this by myself next week. I'm assuming it's a one person operation, and I do have the manuals outlining the procedure.

If anyone would like to offer any advice (e.g. "It's easier if you..." or "Watch out for..."), I'd be very happy to accept it.

Also, does it make sense to disconnect the fuel line from the carbs and pump the 5 gallons of gas out using the car's own fuel pump,or is there a smarter way to do this?

Once I've drained the tank, I intend to take it to a shop where it will be "renewed", "rehabilitated", or, as we used to say in Georgia, "fixed." Do I need to fill the tank with water before transporting it (via pickup truck) to the shop?

Thanks!

1965_MGB

Jedi Warrior
When I drained mine, I used the fuel pump as well as a siphon hose out the filler. It got most of the fuel out. Once the tank was dropped, I pulled the sending unit, and then drained out the last of the gas, as well as some dirt, grit and a nut and bolt.

If the shop is going to clean it out, I would not worry about water in the tank, just make sure you tape closed the openings, or if you are using a truck, just leave it in the back, and no throwing lit cigarettes out the window. :smile:

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
My '74 had a drain plug in the bottom of the tank that got most of the gas out...but drain it before you jack up the rear end. And you will want to jack it up, put it on jack stands and remove the rear wheels...especially the right one to make access and manuvering easier. I did it myself, but enlisted the help of my ever faithful assistant (my wife) when reinstalling the tank...it is just a bit ackward to hold in place and secure the bolts. New hardware is cheap as are the "packing strips" to insulate the top of the tank from the bottom of the boot floor. Finally, I would clean and prep the tank and bottom of the boot floor with POR15 when reassembling.

Good luck!

Bruce

1965_MGB

Jedi Warrior
My original tank had a drain in it, but it seems that lots of the new replacement tanks do not have drains or baffles in them. I am not sure why, but it does make taking the tank out a bigger pain than it needs to be.

Maybe I can have a bung welded into the tank next time it is out.

mk2sprite

Jedi Hopeful
Disconnect the battery, first thing. You can use a floor jack with a block of wood under the tank for support.
Make sure the shop knows about that fuel screen inside the tank and to keep it clear during the process
No problem transporting in the back of a P.U once it's drained the air should evaporate any excess in there.
It's not a bad job.
Good luck
Mike

Don't inspect the inside condition with a lighter. :devilgrin:

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
kennypinkerton said:
Don't inspect the inside condition with a lighter. :devilgrin:

and do NOT use a shop vac to suck out the gas...don't laugh, I have read accounts in the paper where people have done that, with explosive results! :wall:

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I tried the Pump method but it was taking too long. Someone here suggested sticking a siphon hose in the tank and carefully pressurizing it with air and my hand cupped around the filler opening. Worked like a dream. I then just through it in the back of the PU, sans water, and had it boiled, etched and sealed. I would have spent less on a new tank but the result I think is better.