• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGC Pulling an MGC's head

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Howdy all:

As some of you may recall, my C tourer was a smoker when I bought her. I had assumed she was burning oil -- and she may very well be, but that's a project for another day. The valve guides were replaced right before I bought her by the DPO, so that left me with rings. I've been dreading pulling the giant hunk of iron that is the engine and tranny, so I've put it off for quite some time. I had done part of a compression test a year ago, and stopped when I found dreadful compression in two adjacent cylinders. This was leading me in the direction of a blown head gasket, but I was busy with other projects with the portion of the fleet that was in general running order, so I shelved the MG project for a while. The C hasn't run in about a year.

Over the course of that year, I've tried to fire her up to see if I could get her to run long enough to warm up for a more complete compression test, and also to let the store and start I put in last winter get through the fuel system. I've had no luck until this weekend, when I put in new plugs and new wires. The old girl did start and she caught and idled very badly -- and also belched about 10 ounces of coolant out her tail pipe. Clearly she's got a head gasket issue.

So, this weekend, I'm planning on pulling the head and replacing the gasket. I would greatly appreciate any advice from the collective for avoiding pitfalls, or anything else I should attend to while the head is off.

Thanks so much!

B.

Please be careful as this is awkward and heavy when doing the job in the car.

The intake and exhaust manifolds are bolted together if memory serves me correctly, and there is an odd shaped gasket between the two.

You may want to consider replacing the small bypass hose on the water pump while you're in there.

Make sure you have the correct thermostat...I have a NAPA part number at home that I'll post if you need it.

Bob Kirk of Kirk's Auto Refitters is an excellent source for MGC parts...head gasket, other gasket sets, the aforementioned bypass hose, etc.

OP
MadRiver

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks so much, Rick. I really appreciate it.

I imagine it will be awkward, but hopefully a bit less demanding than pulling the block and tranny. :smile:

Yes, I'd love the part number when you get the chance!

Best regards,

B.

RickB

Yoda
It should go without saying... but:

Be sure to follow the torque sequence when loosening and then of course refitting this head. It's a long hunk of iron that will get all twisty on you if you are not careful.

MadRiver said:
Thanks so much, Rick. I really appreciate it.

I imagine it will be awkward, but hopefully a bit less demanding than pulling the block and tranny. :smile:

Yes, I'd love the part number when you get the chance!

Best regards,

B.

Here ya go! I've also got a part number for the air pump filter if you need it...BTW, it is NOT AT ALL similar to the MGB air pump filter.

Attachments

• 17135.jpg
    17135.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 1,183
OP
MadRiver

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks gents! I really appreciate it. One quick question for you, Rick. Since I've never opened her up before, I'm not terribly familiar with the C's engine. I'd love more information on the bypass hose. Thanks!

B.

Here's the filter for the emissions control air pump. I sourced it at a Cadillac dealership (if you can find one these days).

Attachments

• 17140.jpg
    17140.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 463
MadRiver said:
Thanks gents! I really appreciate it. One quick question for you, Rick. Since I've never opened her up before, I'm not terribly familiar with the C's engine. I'd love more information on the bypass hose. Thanks!

B.

The bypass hose is a small, 90* hose that runs from the water pump to a fitting on the front of the head. You'll see it as you begin to dismantle the top end.

It can be a bugger to get on...heating the hose in some hot water and using a little rubber-friendly grease (such as brake grease) will help in reassembly. (Don't forget to put the hose clamps on BEFORE you assemble....ask me why I give this hint!)

:nopity:

Bob Kirk has these hoses in stock (I believe) - or you could take the hose into a local parts house and match it up with/use a piece of a similar shape/size hose currently being used on American/Foreign cars. (I think Ford has one such hose that has enough there to make a couple of these hoses.)

It is wise to replace this hose with a fresh hose now, with disassembly, rather than later, on the side of the road.

:wall:

This picture shows a "side view" of the hose as taken from the right hand side of the engine bay...the pencil is pointing to the culprit.

HTH.....

Attachments

• 17165.jpg
    17165.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 473
OP
MadRiver

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
MGC Head Gasket [was Pulling an MGC's head]

Rick, thank you so much! EXCELLENT advice, now that I realize which hose you're talking about. Icarumba!

One extra question for the collective. Any special advice on head gaskets? I bought the standard gasket from Moss, rather than a copper gasket. I've asked around my gaggle of old car buddies, and some say to soak them in water for a day before installing (so they swell), others say to avoid this like the plague. I've also gotten suggestions from all forms of gasket treatments. Any other wisdom would be much appreciated. I

I'm getting very excited to get this beast back on the road!

Best regards,

Bill S.