• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Pulling the plug....

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
...on my engine block to fit a road draft tube.

As you may have seen, I've installed the Moss supercharger kit on my TR4A. The kit doesn't have any provision to vent the crankcase into the intake, and by many accounts, the stock setup didn't work all that well anyway. So I decided to install a road draft tube from the earlier engines.

If you know where this plug is located, you know it is hard to get to with the engine installed. Even putting the plug in is difficult with the engine in the car, I know, because my car didn't have the plug (nor the draft tube) when I got it (the engine was from an earlier model). Also, this plug has a much deeper shoulder than typical freeze plugs, so you can't "flip" it in place to remove.

My initial idea was to drill a hole with a right angle drill in the plug, and use a lag bolt as a puller. But that concerned me on a few fronts:

1. I'd have to drop the pan to clean out any swarf. Not a huge deal, but a pain I'd like to avoid if I could.

2. Once I drilled the plug, I'd be committed to getting it out, one way or another.

3. I wasn't completely certain that the lag bolt wouldn't just rip out of the plug.

Thinking about it some more, I discovered that the ID of the plug was just about right for a 1" bolt. So I bought a 1" fine thread bolt (which set me back about $5), and found that it would indeed thread into the plug, but didn't cut enough thread to use as a puller. I also tried a 3/4" pipe thread, but that was too big. I could probably get it to go in if the engine was out of the car, but then I'd have a lot more options!

The next problem was using the 1" bolt as a puller, I didn't have any socket or pipe to easily use, so I decided to cut a section of the thread, drill and tape a hole, and use some threaded rod, allowing me to use a 1/2" drive socket and nut to pull.

Lastly, I decided to use JB Weld to get the puller attached to the plug.

My first attempt used 3/8" rod. Ultimately the puller pulled out of the plug, though it took enough torque that I was concerned that I would strip the threaded rod. So I made a second puller with 1/2" rod. I also used a Dremel to roughen up the inside of the plug, hoping to provide a better grip for the JB Weld.

After letting the epoxy cure for a little over 24 hrs, I tried again, and got the plug out! I don't have any photos of my puller before, but here is an after photo, and a picture of my freshly coated draft tube that I'll be installing.

Attachments

• 24987.jpg
    24987.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 542
  • 24988.jpg
    24988.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 538
D

Deleted member 8987

I can tell you on the Ford 221 and early 260 V-8's, the draft tube was actually in the back of the intake manifold, behind the carb, sort of an oblong triangle arrangement held down with three bolts. Under that plate was a recess stuffed with coarse steel wool.
Kept critters out, and kept any spray from actually spraying.
Don't know if a wad of steel wool would help or not on that iridescent blue tube.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Clever solution! I'm impressed with JBWeld's ability to hang on.

OP
Darrell_Walker

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
TOC said:
Don't know if a wad of steel wool would help or not on that iridescent blue tube.

It is actually just silver, just poor lighting and a cell phone camera picture :smile:

vivdownunder

Jedi Warrior
JB Weld should pay you good money to use that story as a testamonial. Permatex "Cold Weld" is licking at their heels with a similar product.

That road daft pipe is a common source of oil leakage. Helps if installed in the block with a sealer such as gasket cement or urethane.

Viv.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
I too am amazed that the JBWeld held!

Scott

OP
Darrell_Walker

Darrell_Walker

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
vivdownunder said:
That road daft pipe is a common source of oil leakage. Helps if installed in the block with a sealer such as gasket cement or urethane.

Thanks, I was planning on a good coat of Hylomar.

mtlman8

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
CONGRATS! Way easier than my right angle drill method.

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Although Darrell's method looks easier I thought I would share mine. The hole in the plug ended up being almost half an inch after various trys. The plug never moved. With the 1" internal wrench I was able to turn it both directions although it did creep further in a bit. That got it loose enough that with my hook tool made of 1/2" steel, the pry bar against the block and a few taps it came flying out with a ping.

pullplug.jpg

My congratulations to anyone who has ever gotten one out.